Dark Prince: Author's Cut Special…

Dark Prince: Author's Cut Special Edition (Dark Series)

by Christine Feehan

Dark Prince
3 Stars

Dark Prince is my third attempt at reading a Christine Feehan book. Although her plot premises are usually good, the execution leaves much to be desired as her writing style tends toward telling rather than showing, and this results in endless pages of unnecessary description.

Feehan’s book was originally published in 1998, however, reading it now means that there is nothing truly original about the story as, these days, the paranormal romance genre is inundated with dark, tortured and suicidal vampires who can only be saved by their fated mate.

Mikhail and Raven’s romance is the focus of the book and is quite entertaining as they have an interesting dynamic and solid chemistry. Many reviewers have taken objection to Mikhail’s sexist possessiveness. However, this type of behavior is not uncommon in the genre so it is easy to just go with the flow. Raven’s passivity and TSTL behavior is far more annoying as my preference is for kick-ass heroines who don’t wander into danger and then wait for rescue.

The secondary story element revolves around a group of fanatical vampire hunters who have targeted Mikhail and his fellow Carpathians. There are some good action scenes, but the villains are on the stupid/incompetent end of the evil scale and it is difficult to take them seriously.

In terms of the world building, the concept of the Carpathians has potential but there is insufficient background on the origins, natures and abilities.

All in all, there are better written vampire series out there such as Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed and Tina Folsom’s Scanguard’s Vampires. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I seldom write reviews but for this one I had to. It is an interesting concept but I will admit it took me a while to really get into it. The main reason I kept at it were all the foaming at the mouth bad reviews of it and I was not disappointed. For those of you who condemned how Mikhail dominated Raven you have to stop looking at this like a mortal/mortal romance story. He is an Ancient. His people and his ways are completely different than the domesticated man on the street and for good reason. After about page 100 the story opens up and it becomes very good, very engaging even if you are not into this type of literature. ( )
  book_cat9 | Aug 29, 2016 |
Another re-read of this one for some reason. 4th time in 10 years. It has some poor writing and melodrama but the story sucks me in and I love the characters. A guilty pleasure I'll probably keep returning to. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Was fun to reread. I maybe noticed some very minor extended scenes, but I still can't figure out how there could have been an extra 100 pages in this book. Was fully reviewed in the other edition. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Ok, I'm gonna be honest. Ms. Feehan can obviously write. I'm not having a go at her skills in any way. And I know this is a really popular series. But I hated this book. I really did. I found the whole thing tedious, disliked the characters and by virtue of being female was frankly insulted on numerous occasions.

My first issue was the style of the narrative. Purple prose isn't a strong enough description for the writing in this book. It's extremely flowery and overly verbose, to the point of compromising itself. More than once I simply had no clue what was meant by the pages and pages of endless text. I was reminded that I read the 'Author's Special Edition,' with 100 pages of extra content. Honestly, I can understand why those 100 pages were one the cutting room floor to start with. They weren't needed. The emotional descriptions are endless, but even worse the whole book is ridiculously repetitive. The reader is forced to sit through the same epic recounting of the characters' emotional states over and over and over again...and then a few more times for good measure. And just to be sure you REALLY got it; the same stock phrases are used each and every time. I started to think the book would never end.

Then there was Mikhail's treatment of Raven. It was infuriating. If he infantilized her any further I would be accusing him of pedophilia. His pet name for her is "little one," as if she's some toddler. Even my three-year-old wouldn't stand for that. The narrative only seems able to describe her as small, fragile, innocent, and indiscriminately compassionate, all child-like attributes. Even the sex scenes make her sound like a child, full of her "soft whimpers," "keening cries" and "sobbing breath." He's occasionally described as speaking to her, "softly, as if to a child" and she fills his mind "with a child's wondrous laughter." Gag. I'm a full grown, sexual woman. I want my PNR heroines to be too.

All of that is before we even get into his arrogant paternalism. I lost track of how many times he declares, "I can't allow," I won't allow," you can't," you must." Sure, Raven occasionally argues back to him, but she always gives in in the end, or is simply forced to comply. She never seemed to get suitably angry about this afterwards, though. Add to that the innumerable references to her 'fragile mind.' All those things Carpathian men have been shouldering for hundreds of years apparently threatens to shatter her sanity in just over a week. As a fellow female, I was insulted. Plus, he's constantly trying to put her to sleep, as if she's some toy he needs to shut off when not in use.

Then there was the whole premise of the males lacking emotions. I get it. It's an interesting twist, but I don't buy it. How exactly can the men feel loyalty or honour if they can't feel anything at all? They'd all be psychopathic loners without any emotional bonds.

Lastly, there were all the subtle religious undertones. Honestly, I kind of wonder if the author even knew she put them in. They almost felt unintended, as if it was such a normal part of her that she didn't identify it as out of place in the novel. They did feel out of place though. They just popped up unexpectedly on occasion, with no warning or substantial contribution to the plot.

Now, I will admit that Feehan has created an interesting vampire myth by separating out the Carpathians. And I really did like the complexity of the antagonist(s). The fact that he was pure evil, but also pitiable was multilayered and appreciable. Again, I also admit that the woman can write. I'd be willing to give another of her books a try. But this book was not for me. I like a good alpha male as well as the next romance reader, but there is definitely such thing as too domineering and Mikhail passed that on about page 5. I'm just glad to be finished. ( )
1 vote SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Please do not combine the Author's Cut Special Edition with other editions. It contains over 100 pages of extra content.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062019554, Mass Market Paperback)

An incomparable gift for Christine Feehan fans, Dark Prince returns in a new, author’s cut special edition. #1 New York Times bestseller Feehan revisits her classic tale of paranormal romance—the breathtaking story of a beautiful hunter with extraordinary telepathic abilities captivated by the powerful allure of a tormented prince of the mysterious Carpathians—expanding the beloved story by 100 never before seen pages! Here is your golden opportunity to experience the first book in Christine Feehan’s remarkable Dark saga as you never have before, whether it’s a glorious re-entrance into this writer’s mystical, unforgettable world…or your very first visit!

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:20:16 -0400)

"He came to her in the night, a predator -- strength and power chiseled his features. The seduction was deep and elemental; he affected her soul. His need. His darkness. His terrible haunting loneliness. Her senses aroused, she craved the dangerous force of his body. Burned for him. And he had only touched her with his mind. She came to him at dawn, his bleakest hour. As the beast raged inside him, threatening to consume him, he vented his centuries-old despair in an anguished cry that filled the waning night. And she answered, a ray of light, piercing his darkness. A beautiful angel. Her compassion, courage, and innocence awakened in him an exquisite longing and tenderness. He knew he must possess her, for only she could tame his savage side and lift the dark shadow from his soul. Apart they were desolate, bereft. Intertwined physically and spiritually, they could heal one another and experience an eternity of nights filled with love."--Author's website.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,017,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible