Craving (The Steel Brothers Saga) by Helen…

Craving (The Steel Brothers Saga) (2016)

by Helen Hardt

Rating: Five
Review:

"Craving" by Helen Hardt

My Thoughts....

Interesting series 'Steel Brothers Saga # 1' that features Talon Steel and Jade Roberts who were definitely two broken souls. This author gives the reader quite a good story and be warned it end on a cliffhanger where you will have to get the rest of the story in later series. Be ready for quite a emotional roller coaster ride and lots of twist and turns for these two. The main question is will they be able to heal each other?

After Jade is left at the alter on her wedding day she goes to stay with her friend, Marjorie Steelat the Steele brothers ranch while she is waiting to get her results from the bar exam to become a lawyer. What will happen after Jade meets Talon Steele? Will it be something their for them especially for Talon at the first sight of her[picking her up from the airport? But as we read their is a lots that had gone on with Talon not only was he returning from the Marines but something had happen to Talon in his past during his childhood. What was Talon's childhood secret that it seemed that he was always struggling so hard with especially when he was with Jade? And then their was the question to what was it between Jade and Talon as it seems that he simply craved her..all the time? Why was it so hard for Talon to open up about what had gone on with him especially to Jade. Will he seek help? This is a very mature adult read so be aware that this story is loaded with a lots of erotica sex that will be all over the place for these two. Well, to get all of these questions answered and so much more you will have to pick up "Craving" to see just how well this author brings it out to the reader. It will be one heck of a good read.

So, I guess the reader will have to get the next series to see if these two finally get their HEA. ( )
  arlenadean | Feb 22, 2017 |
Have you ever agreed to buddy read a trilogy (which I just discovered has now morphed into at least a six book series) with a friend who swears up and down that you will absolutely love a book, and then you get halfway through said book and you are about to beat your head against the wall and wonder why in the hell you ever agreed to buddy read this?

Please tell me I'm not the only one to make this mistake.

And I can't really blame my friend, because she does know that I love messed up books (the more messed up, the better - usually), and the book is set on the western slope of Colorado, an area of the state for which I will always hold a fondness. So my friend really did think that I would love these books.

First off, the author gets several things wrong about the setting. Granted, I know that "Snow Creek" is a made-up town, so I can't fault her for anything there. But she does use Grand Junction as a backdrop for the first few chapters, and it pops up every so often, and there are just things wrong about Junction. Spoiler cut just because I'm probably about to go on a rant here.First off, I have never heard a local say "I am going to Grand Junction." The city is nearly always referred to as just plain Junction by anyone who lives close by, and I can always point out the n00bs who refer to Junction as anything other than, well, Junction. And the airplane flying into the airport - at least three seats across before an aisle? I have a hard time believing any flight into Junction would be a 2-3 or a 3-3. Usually it's a puddlejumper 1-2; rarely I have seen a 2-2, but never anything bigger than a 2-2. Also, Talon, when he picks Jade up at the airport, states that he is "parked on this level," or the level of the baggage claim. Yeah, no fucking shit. There's only one "level" at the Junction airport - it's called a big parking lot outside, where your car sits in the desert sun with no protection and they rip you off for $10 a day. There are no parking garages and no "levels." All of this may seem petty to criticize, and perhaps it is, but I am very familiar with Junction - just imagine if someone set a book in your hometown and got ALL THE THINGS wrong. It's annoying to me.

But, okay, let's give the author a little leeway here. And let's judge the story on its merits and not the glaring factual errors that bug the ever living shit out of me and my OCD.

Talon is all sorts of messed up, which I usually like, but he is such a fucking asshole to Jade that I can't handle him. He totally dismisses any pain she feels about being stood up at the altar in front of all of her friends and family because it doesn't match his ~*~pain~*~ that she doesn't even know about and is a total ass about the whole thing. And, granted, his past is horrible, but that doesn't make the fact that she was humiliated any less painful to her, especially since she doesn't know anything about Talon's past except that he was in the Marines for the while.

Talon was abused; that much is made pretty clear, and the extent of his abuse is revealed as the book progresses. But he pushes hard against Jade's boundaries and does not take no for an answer. There is more than one instance in this book where Jade is not exactly into having sex with Talon, but he doesn't listen to her protests and eventually "convinces" her to go along with him, which she does in almost every instance. No. That's rapey as hell and incredibly not kosher, not heroic, and not acceptable. There's an instance when they are in a public place and he wants to have sex with her in a public place, which she is totally not feeling at all, and he keeps pushing until she literally has to force him to back the fuck up before he rapes her. Oooh, so sexy. And yes, I know that adults who have survived childhood sexual abuse can have problems with understanding boundaries and etc, but Talon pushes that envelope way, way past the line of "this is acceptable" and doesn't seem to understand that at all; nor does he seem willing to examine his own behavior to see why she feels that is unacceptable.

Also, the sex scenes are just...so awful. The description of Jade's anatomy is hilariously bad, to the point that I was attempting not to laugh when the author went on and on about Jade's "red" labia (sounds like there's some serious chafing going on, which I wouldn't be surprised about, considering how much "shoving" organs into orifices occurs in this book). And Talon was "abrading the anterior of [her] pussy [with his fingers]" at one point (that is a direct quote). Let me say as a lesbian - fucking OUCH, use some lube or do some foreplay to get her wet or something! Someone abrading any part of my anatomy does not sound like a good time.

There's quite a bit of instalove - they have a lot of (horribly written) sex, but there doesn't seem to be anything between them except some chemistry. And Talon waxes hot and cold when it comes to Jade - he can't stop craving her, and then he's pushing her away. Once again, I can understand this as a sexual assault victim, but jesus, it got so fucking annoying watching him whipsaw back and forth like that.

Some of the descriptions seemed just...odd, as well (besides Jade's "red" labia). Talon compares her gray eyes to "tanzanite," which seems way left field to me. That's a deep blue, by the way, because I had no idea what the fuck it was - and definitely nowhere close to Jade's self-described "gray" eyes. And listening to Talon talk to his brothers comes across as very odd, stilted, and not realistic at all.

Well, the one thing I can say is that I totally agree with the author - there's no better peaches in the world than western slope peaches.

The thing is, I think that this book really had some potential, because there is an intriguing mystery going on with the Steel family. But it takes a backseat to all of the awkward sex and ridiculous drama. It's disappointing, but apparently unless I find an excellent excuse, I am stuck reading the next two books in the series. Sigh. ( )
  schatzi | Dec 12, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,938,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible