Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Descartes: The Life and times of a Genius by…

Descartes: The Life and times of a Genius (2005)

by A. C. Grayling

4329. Descartes The Life and Times of a Genius, by A. C. Grayling (read 17 June 2007) I found this very readable, even though my appreciation for philosophy has declined since college days. I am impressed by Descartes's loyalty to his religion--something I would not have guessed when we were studying philosophy at Loras College 55 plus years ago. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 17, 2007 |
I would also have added a word of advice concerning the way to read this book, which is I would like it first to be read rapidly in its entirety, like a novel, without the reader forcing his attention too much or stopping at the difficulties which he may encounter in it, simply to have a broad view of the matters I have treated in it. And after that, if the reader judges that these matters merit examination, and is curious to know their causes, he can read the book a second time, in order to notice the sequence of my reasonings.

Descartes, "Letter from the Author,"
The Principles of Philosophy
For Katie: adeo venusto, ut nil supra

['charming beyond compare': Quotation from Terence, Andria]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080271501X, Hardcover)

Scientist, mathematician, traveler, soldier--and spy--Rene Descartes was one of the founders of the modern world. His life coincided with an extraordinary time in history: the first half of the miraculous seventeenth century, replete with genius in the arts and sciences, and wracked by civil and international conflicts across Europe. But at his birth in 1596 the world was still dominated by medieval beliefs in phenomena such as miracles and spontaneous generation. It was Descartes who identified the intellectual tools his peers needed to free themselves from the grip of religious authority and in doing so he founded modern philosophy.
In this new biography, A. C. Grayling tells the story of Descartes' life, and places it in his tumultuous times--with the unexpected result that an entirely new aspect of the story comes to light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:50 -0400)

Examines the life of René Descartes, the seminal scientist, mathematician, traveler, soldier, and spy who transformed seventeenth-century Europe and became the father of modern philosophy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible