The Faerie Godmother's Apprentice Wore Green…

The Faerie Godmother's Apprentice Wore Green

by Nicky Kyle

621,268,033 (4.5)None

What a delightful story!

The village of Styesville believes that they’re in need of a knight to solve their dragon problem. But the solution to their problem arrives largely unnoticed: Dea, a faerie godmother’s apprentice drawn by the rumors of dragons. She soon realizes that there’s something more complex at the heart of Styesville’s crisis…

At only about 18,000 words, The Faerie Godmother’s Apprentice Wore Green is a very quick read. I was considering it a novelette and then I double checked the length categories. Turns out it just barely squeezes into the novella category! It’s definitely a story that you can read in a single evening.

Obviously, The Faerie Godmother’s Apprentice Wore Green is a quick read, but it’s also a fun one too! While it’s an entirely original story that’s not drawing off of specific fairy tales, it does use the tropes of the genre in a way that creates a sort of fractured fairy tale feel. For instance, a princess who’s parents lock her in a tower until she’s rescued by her true love. Only, in this case the princess was in the tower because her parents refused to believe she was aromantic, asexual, and didn’t want to be married. Luckily, she gets some help from a dragon.

I don’t think The Faerie Godmother’s Apprentice Wore Green is being marketed as young adult, but it would make for a good crossover. It’s certainly the sort of story I could have read and loved when I was younger. A princess who doesn’t fall in love with anyone? Dragons? I would have been thrilled! I was still thrilled to read this as an adult, but I also wish I’d had it when I was a younger girl, a familiar feeling for queer stories.

There’s other things I liked about the story as well. The writing style worked really well for me, clear but a bit different from everyday language. I also liked the bit about how our stories get changed to fit the dominate narrative. The creation of history and how it departs from the realities is a concept I always love to see explored.

I would love more stories set in this world or with these characters. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the author doesn’t have any other stories published! It looks like she might have a couple of freebies up on her tumblr, so I’ll need to check out those. I’ll be watching for whatever she writes next.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 4, 2017 |
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Less Than Three Press in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first story by this author that I have read.

It is difficult, in its way, trying to figure out what to put in a review for a story that is only 54 pages in length. If it was a mystery there are things I could mention, characters, setting, what type of mystery, how well everything was depicted. But this isn’t a mystery, but a fantasy. Granted there are two things of note regarding mystery and mysteries – (1) an investigation does take place; (2) the investigator and investigation was actually of a higher quality level than many a mystery I’ve read. And yet, I still would hesitate to fall back on calling this a mystery. To a certain extent that’s because this is a fantasy in a fantasy land and no one died. You can have mysteries without death and you can have mysteries in stories that involve fantasy, but it is not exactly tremendously common.

Right, enough of that. There is this village, see, called Styesville. It’s a time of changing seasons and the ground and everything is kind of wet and muddy. Which is good because there’s this dragon that, for no known reason, has taken a liking to wander by every once in a while and breath on things. This isn’t normally good, since there is fire involved with the breathing. Things are only singed, though, because of the wetness. Well, some of the sheep and the like aren’t exactly fairing well, but for the most part the danger is a bit of ‘singe’ getting on stuff.

Still, dragon around, and stuff, so the villagers have put the call out for some help from those that bounce about on horsies while wearing a lot of metal, and carrying pointy-things. It’s been a short while, oh, about two months, but alas, no knights appear to be turning up. A stranger did turn up, but that cloaked person came to the village under the power of their own two feet, and apparently lacking things like weaponry and metal protection. This stranger would be the lead character in the story, a Dea.

Without anyone taking much notice of Dea, an investigation is conducted. Relatively quickly, certain things are noted. Neither the mystery, nor the cloaked figure are exactly what they seem. I’m not exactly sure why I’m being all careful here, anyone reading this review has access to the book cover. But I retain an air of mystery.

The story flowed smoothly. I rather liked Dea, the fantasy world that has been created, and the stories that are told. I’d love to see more of both this world and more of Dea’s time in that world.

One last bit before I move on. One of the shelves I use is LGBT. It is true that one of the characters in the story has an opinion expressed about them that they neither confirm nor deny, said opinion being that they, the woman in question, prefers the company of woman – romantically. Well, that is not why I stamped ‘LGBT’ on the book. No, that’s because of the main character. Another review already mentioned the issue, but if you haven’t read that review – the main character in this story, Dea, falls within the LGBT framework. Though more when people recall that LGBT, elongated, includes more letters. LBGTQIA. Dea falls under the less talked about A category. And no, that doesn’t mean that Dea is an ‘Alley’, but an ‘Asexual’ (though I do not wish people who just took a biology class and then see this review and become confused, I am not referring to asexual reproduction here).

A highly entertaining story. Much recommended (there’s a slight issue of a 54 page story with a $3.99 price tag, but I’ll just mention that in passing *mentions* then move on).

Okay, I already said ‘one last bit’, but really, this time I mean it – one last bit – this story involves dragons, mysterious strangers, a fantasy world, magic, asexuals, and the magic of faerie godmothers (oh, sorry, forgot one that I really wanted to mention – a good nice bit of pleasant humor). A lot of those are less commonly seen (though known about). Though that just might be my own luck/reading habits that lead to me not seeing a lot of dragons, asexuals, and faerie godmothers (though I did just read one book that had faerie godmothers, strangely enough).

March 31 2016 ( )
  Lexxi | Jun 26, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,905,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible