Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls…

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and… (2016)

by Lauren Graham

Excellent book for a long flight! It meets my gold standard of memoirs in that I can hear the person's voice on the page. Very engaging & fun read if you like Lauren Graham. Has me interested now in checking out her novel. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
More like Reading As Fast As I Can, amirite?! Fresh off the emotional lows and highs of A Year in the Life, this book was the perfect capstone to a second immersion in Stars Hollow.

Lauren Graham is smart and funny and disarming, and the words on the page leapt into my ears as though being read aloud by Lorelai Gilmore. I tore through this book in what seemed like a matter of minutes, enjoying every bit of it.

I've seen this billed as "essays" but the firm didn't strike me as much different from a regular celebrity memoir: some stories about her childhood, her training, her early acting successes and failures, a few lessons learned along the way.

I could have done with a few fewer diet jokes; they seemed a little forced. But other than that, it felt like an authentic look at the memories and foibles of the woman who is the closest thing we'll ever have to a real-life Lorelai Gilmore, quirks and fast-talking dated pop-culture references and all. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
A short but thoroughly enjoyable autobiography, especially for fans of Gilmore Girls. I actually found the chapter on her first steps in writing and the chapter about her initial forays into summer theater to be the most interesting. I will never be able to listen to Slap that Bass in the same way again. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 27, 2017 |
Best for: Fans of Lauren Graham, fans of Gilmore Girls. If you’re just a fan of her work on Parenthood, there’s only one chapter in here for you.

In a nutshell: A loosely chronological collection of essays by Lauren Graham, discussing how she got into acting, her time on Gilmore Girls, and her time filming the recent series of films for Netflix.

Line that sticks with me: “What was it I’d encountered that day, and those other times? Why would anyone assume I’d need help with, or take credit for, something that wasn’t my work? Was it … sexism?”

Why I chose it: I really enjoy the characters of Lorelai Gilmore and Sarah Braverman, and I’m a sucker for a memoir written by a woman.

Review: I read this book in an afternoon plus one 30-minute session on the elliptical. It’s well-written, amusing, and offers some very sweet insight into Ms. Graham’s experiences as an actress. She even (for the first time) sits and watches all seasons of Gilmore Girls to give us readers her insights.

This book was fine. It’s definitely not bad, so I’m not sure why I’m leaning towards three stars instead of four. Maybe I was hoping for more? I’m not sure why – Ms. Graham seems extremely guarded (which is totally her right), and this book fits with that. I don’t think I learned anything surprising about her from her, although I made a few inferences of my own from what was included – or not.

The stories she tells are fun (thought rarely laugh-out-loud funny, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) and kind and generous to her colleagues. I did thoroughly enjoy the Gilmore Girls-specific chapters, but did wish there was more about her time on Parenthood.

As an aside, there was one section, however, that might just change my life as far as my writing is concerned. In one chapter, she shares advice she received from a fellow writer, called “the kitchen timer.” It’s obvious as hell once one reads it, but I’m using it right now and honestly, it’s really helpful. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 8, 2017 |
I’m one of the biggest Gilmore Girls fans out there. In a big way, this is because of Lauren Graham’s character, Lorelai Gilmore. And because of this, I picked up Graham’s novel Someday, Someday, Maybe when it came out. I enjoyed it. Graham isn’t just a talented actor, she’s a great writer. When I heard about Talking as Fast as I Can, I got even more excited than I did for Graham’s novel. Turns out, my excitement was warranted. Graham’s fiction is great, but her non-fiction is even better.

One of my favorite parts of this book was where Graham reacts to each of the Gilmore Girls seasons. It was great to get the actor’s own thoughts on what I’ve watched dozens of times over the last fifteen or so years. And the section where Graham discusses all that was involved in making Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life happen, I gained a better appreciation for just what went into its creation.

But the Gilmore Girls and Parenthood parts of this book weren’t all that made it what it is. Getting to hear about how Someday, Someday, Maybe came to be makes me want to read it again. And hearing about Graham’s early life was also a reason I wanted to read this book in the first place. Being part memoir, part essays on various projects and key issues, this collection is a great read on many levels.

I only wish it were longer. I want more from Graham. But I’m happy to wait for another novel or a similar non-fiction book. I’d read anything that comes out. It’s not just my inner fan-girl talking. Graham backs it up with her her writing. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Jul 1, 2017 |
for my mom and dad
Some of the most exciting things that happened in my life took place before I turned six years old.

In her first work of nonfiction, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood recounts her experiences on Gilmore Girls—the first and second time—and shares stories about life, love, and working in Hollywood. This collection of essays is written in the intimate, hilarious, and down-to earth voice that made her novel, Someday Someday Maybe, a New York Times bestseller.

“This book contains some stories from my life: the awkward growing up years, the confusing dating years, the fulfilling working years, and what it was like to be asked to play one of my favorite characters again. You probably think I’m talking about my incredible achievement as Dolly in Hello, Dolly! as a Langley High School junior, a performance my dad called “you’re so much taller than the other kids.” But no! I’m talking about Lorelai Gilmore, who, back in 2008, I wasn’t sure I’d ever see again. Also included: tales of living on a houseboat, meeting guys at awards shows, and that time I was asked to be a butt model. A hint: all three made me seasick.”—Lauren Graham

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:35:57 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lauren Graham's book Talking As Fast As I Can is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,772,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible