A Most Extraordinary Pursuit by Juliana Gray

A Most Extraordinary Pursuit

by Juliana Gray

Miss Emmeline Truelove joins forces with enigmatic Lord Silverton on a private yacht in the Mediterranean on a quest to find a duke's heir, fighting murderers and mayhem along the way.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 6, 2016 |
I am a fan of author, Beatriz William and her historical war time period stories. I was intrigued to check out this new book by Juliana Gray. The pseudonym for Beatriz William. I thought this book was a charming book. Lord Silverton was full of wit. He sure kept the journey fun. Plus, I like that he called Emmeline by her last name Truelove. It was endearing. For the time period I found Truelove to be strong and daring. Silverton and Truelove were cute together. This is fine and I actually would not have had a problem if I had been more focused on the story as a whole. Every once in a while I would find myself actually comprehending and intrigued by the story but for the most part I was half interested. The ending does seem to lead that this will not be the last time that we will see Truelove and Silverton. This book may not have been a favorite of mine but I would read another one by Juliana Gray. ( )
  Cherylk | Sep 15, 2016 |
This fantasy novel takes place mainly in 1906, and is about 26-year-old Emmeline Truelove, who is the personal secretary to the Seventh Duke of Olympia, who has just died. The Duke’s widow asks Miss Truelove to go to Crete and help look for the Duke’s heir, Max Haywood, who has been missing since Christmas. Her Grace provides a chaperone for her - Frederick, the Marquess of Silverton.

Chapters detailing their journey form Sussex alternate with excerpts from a book dated 1921 by A. M. Haywood called The Book of Time. In these excerpts, we learn about the myth of Theseus, Ariadne, and the Minotaur.

As the trip progresses, and Truelove and Silverton travel around in search of Max, the two of them grow closer, with a predictable warming of feelings on both parts. But there were obstacles to the relationship too.

The situation was further complicated by their uncovering of the secret of Max’s disappearance and why the mythological story was so important.

I had to force myself to keep reading this. The plot seemed silly and the writing was way too “campy” for my tastes. Some of the language was bizarre, like when the author wrote:

“…his lordship’s eyes shone an especially pungent shade of blue.”

Pungent means having a sharply strong taste or smell - pungent?!!!

On the other hand, I did enjoy the relationship between Silverton and Truelove. The ending though didn’t ring true, in which Silverton seems to object to something he finds out about Truelove that didn’t seem consistent with his character.

I didn’t think the book was*awful,* but it was quite disappointing to me. ( )
  nbmars | Sep 1, 2016 |

Known for her original plots, deft characterization, and lyrical voice, Juliana Gray presents an extraordinary novel of an uncommon pursuit…

February, 1906. As the personal secretary of the recently departed Duke of Olympia—and a woman of scrupulous character—Miss Emmeline Rose Truelove never expected her duties to involve steaming through the Mediterranean on a private yacht, under the prodigal eye of one Lord Silverton, the most charmingly corrupt bachelor in London. But here they are, improperly bound on a quest to find the duke’s enigmatic heir, current whereabouts unknown.

An expert on anachronisms, Maximilian Haywood was last seen at an archaeological dig on the island of Crete. And from the moment Truelove and Silverton disembark, they are met with incidents of a suspicious nature: a ransacked flat, a murdered government employee, an assassination attempt. As they travel from port to port on Max’s trail, piecing together the strange events of the days before his disappearance, Truelove will discover the folly of her misconceptions—about the whims of the heart, the motives of men, and the nature of time itself…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 27 Jun 2016 21:10:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,853,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible