The Unloved by John Saul

The Unloved (original 1988; edition 1989)

by John Saul

Member:nikkiluvsez
Title:The Unloved
Authors:John Saul
Info:Severn House Publishers (1989), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:John Saul

The Unloved by John Saul (1988)

When Kevin Devereaux finds out his elderly mother (Helena) is dying he decides to go back home to Sea Oaks (a mansion which is on a secluded island off the South Carolina coast) for a brief stay with his wife Anne, his daughter Julie, and his son Jeff. He hasn’t been back there for twenty years. (He left Sea Oaks because he has never liked his mean, malevolent mother and wanted to get away from her dominating presence.) When they arrive they meet Kevin’s sister, Marguerite, and Kevin’s cruel mother. Not long after they are there, old Helena dies.

Now that Helena is dead Kevin’s wife (Anne) can’t wait to leave Sea Oaks (which is very old, run down, shabby, and dilapidated) and go back home. But unfortunately, when Helena’s will is read, Kevin is forced to stay and live at Sea Oaks or else his sister Marguerite will lose her home (she lives at Sea Oaks). The kids like the place, Anne hates it. Anne thinks Kevin is crazy when he starts talking about turning the decrepit mansion into a hotel. Not long afterward people start dying and go missing. And why is Marguerite acting so weird?

This was another enjoyable read by John Saul. It had sort of a sinister, disturbing feel. I liked the setting at the old mansion and the atmosphere of the place. There was an interesting cast of characters. Some I liked, (Anne, Julie, Jeff...) some I hated (especially Kevin's mother Helena, what a horrible old hag she was!). One character was really totally insane. This book kept me turning the pages and I was curious to see what was going to happen next. I was sad to see some characters die. I wasn't totally happy with the epilogue but I guess the author was implying insanity must run in the family?

An entertaining, strange, and creepy read. ( )
  SandraLynne | Oct 9, 2017 |
I have always enjoed John Saul books. This book did not dissapoint me. It flowed rather quickly up until the end. The plot is a familiar one, predictable, but I still enjoyed it. ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
This is an amazing book - I could not put it down! The characters are miserable, the setting original, and the plot chilling. ( )
  susanbevans | Jan 15, 2010 |
This book was on the edge of me not being able to read it. I couldn't listen to it at night. I could listen to it in daytime, with Corwin, at the dog park. And not "all day", but only a few hours per day.

He's not as good/disturbing as King, but the subject material was upsetting to me. In King's hands, I couldn't have read it. In many places I thought "this could be a lot more terrifying" at this point if he went more into describing , or if he didn't skip over this portion of time.... ( )
  ktoonen | Oct 16, 2009 |
I read this years ago, and don't remember a whole lot about it, except that it's set in South Carolina, and was one of the most unsatisfying horror books I ever read. I remember there being not much of a plot, and pretty much all the characters were dead at the end. Boring and lame, really. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 21, 2007 |
Sie war da, irgendwo in der Dunkelheit, und bewegte sich langsam auf ihn zu.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553272616, Mass Market Paperback)

Lush, a deceptively tranquil, the secluded island  basks in splendid isolation off the South Carolina  coast--as does the Devereaux mansion, a once-great  plantation house now crumbling amidst the ancient  oaks. Now, for the first time in two decades,  Kevin Devereaux has returned here with his wife and  children to visit Kevin's hated, and frightening  mother. She said she was ill--but is that really why  the old woman has summoned the son she has not  seen in so many years? Suddenly, horribly, one of  the Devereauxs is going to die. And now, all the  dark secrets of this once-proud family will emerge  to wrap their evil around the unsuspecting  children. Until, in the shadowed corridors and  dust-covered rooms of the decaying old house, they learn the  true terror of The Unloved.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

After Mother dies inside the locked nursery, the secrets of a once proud southern family emerge to wrap their evil around the children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,177,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible