Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Just So Stories (original 1902; edition 1978)

by Rudyard Kipling

6,37665905 (4.01)1 / 186
Member:lavignebiz
Title:Just So Stories
Authors:Rudyard Kipling
Info:Weathervane Books (1978), Hardcover, 210 pages

Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (1902)

English (63)  Swedish (1)  All languages (64)
This classic is a collection of short stories. Each story tells things such as how a tiger got its stripes or how an elephant got its trunk. Readers will laugh along with these stories and enjoy the “classic” writing. I think students would love to create their own just so story with an animal or creature of their choosing and writing the fantastical way that they came to be that way! ( )
1 vote KBosnak | Aug 13, 2018 |
This is one of those books you'd wish you'd read as a child...so you could, in turn, read to your OWN child. I would LOVE to have read this to PJ as a baby. The stories are enchanting and written very much as if Kipling were speaking to his own daughter, and each is more fascinating than the last, presenting fanciful explanations for commonplace questions, like, how the Camel got his hump. Or how the first letter was written. Or my favorite, what happened when the butterfly stamped his foot. Brilliant stuff, this, and it should be a part of every library...and on your list of books to read to YOUR child! ( )
1 vote Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
I read this book to my five- and seven-year-old daughters. I did not care for it. It was weird. The first few stories weren't so bad and were kind of cute. But as the book progressed, the stories got weirder and much longer. Too long for a bedtime story for my kids. They actually fell asleep while I was reading the third to the last story, which it incredibly rare. I decided not to bother reading the last two. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Kipling's take on these stories, many of them ones he gleaned from the cultures around him, are lyrical and fun, and make for a great book. I wish I had had a copy of this one when I was a kid. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Charming. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
My copy of Just So Stories, in it's brick-red cover with the Elephant's Child straining away with all his might to escape the jaws of the Crocodile on the banks of "the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River", the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake in close attendance was the first book I truly loved. ... Kipling has an Aesopian understanding of animals, our dealings with them and our curious interrelatedness, interdependence, how we can learn about our own strange behaviour, our vanities and our foolishness through them and through our relationship with them.

Han skriver med lätt hand och bitvis är det i bästa brittiska nonsenstradition, men i sin helhet förstås långt bort från Lewis Carrolls självklara genialitet. Barnen roas med vilda påhitt, verser, upprepningar och konstigheter.

I god sagoanda förväntar man sig att landa mjukt i sensmoralens klokskap. Men hos Kipling landar man hårt. När den lilla elefantungen som ständigt blir bestraffad för sin frågvishet tillägnar sig sin snabel, då är det för att ge igen för den misshandel han utstått.

[B]erättelserna är utformade med en sådan språklig uppfinningsrikedom – väl tillvaratagen av översättaren – att även mycket frågvisa lyssnare torde frestas att hålla tyst för att inte missa nästa fantasieggande formulering.

I framställningen paras gulligt nosens med det lösligt högtravande, vilket stundtals gör att berättelserna får drag av tidig surrealism.

Visst riktar sig boken till unga läsare, fast den är skruvad på ett sådant vis att även vuxna har stort utbyte av den.

Kipling, Rudyardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puttapipat, NirootIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the sea, once upon a time, O my Best Beloved, there was a Whale, and he ate fishes.
This in an audio version, performed by Boris Karloff.

Twelve stories about animals and insects including How the Camel Got His Hump; How the First Letter was Written, and How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin.

Kipling's own drawings, with their long, funny captions, illustrate his hilarious explanations of How the Camel Got His Hump, How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin, How the Armadillo Happened, and other animal How's. He began inventing these stories in his American wife's hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont, to amuse his eldest daughter--and they have served ever since as a source of laughter for children everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:52 -0400)

Twelve stories about animals, insects, and other subjects include "How the Camel Got His Hump." "The Butterfly That Stamped," and "How the Alphabet Was Made."

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183624, 0141321628, 0141328398, 0141442409

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010064X, 1400108675

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible