Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating…

Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating (edition 2006)

by Jane Goodall, Gary McAvoy, Gail Hudson

Info:Warner Wellness (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Mom, Currently reading, Read but unowned
Tags:mom, food

Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall

This is an excellent book for people wanting to eat healthy. Goodall describes clearly why it is important to eat organic and local. She also is very clear why farming practices are important not only for what we eat, but the for the environment as well.

To see more visit my blog. ( )
  BittyCornwell | Sep 7, 2013 |
Oh dear. This book was in a list of similarly-themed books that I found in the New York Times Magazine (I think). I'm afraid it's a stellar example of expert-gone-wrong, sort of like the Linus Pauling Vitamin C thing. Jane Goodall knows a lot about chimpanzees, and she obviously cares about our food choices and their impact on the planet. But the book is a total hodgepodge of everything from reminiscences about eating canned pineapple in the air raid shelter during the Blitz to an incredibly naive chapter telling us that my goodness! people in different countries eat different kinds of food! My resolute omnivorousness probably made me less sympathetic to her championing of a vegetarian diet, as well. Spend your time reading her books on chimpanzees if you want to read Jane Goodall. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
A thoughtful examination of the complex process whereby today's humans acquire the food and drink to sustain us, often to the significant detriment of our planet and other sentient beings. While a lot of the news is grim, Goodall manages to dispense her information with compassion and empowering practical suggestions. Expectedly, a significant portion of the text is dedicated to animal cruelty issues, especially in factory farming settings, however Goodall treats the carnivores in her readership with her customary respect and does not bludgeon steak lovers for their choice. Rather, she focuses on educating every food consumer to keep in mind that each meal is a vote for the type of planet we want to live on and changing one item on your plate (or the method used to grow it) can make a huge difference when multipled over time. I found the David vs. Goliath analogies a little overwrought at times (not ALL successful multinational corporations are bad, just as not ALL small, independent farms are good), but that was a minor annoyance in an otherwise powerful book. I appreciated the comprehensive approach she took to approaching the human nutrition chain as a whole: soil, water, seed, plant, protein & dairy, etc, as well as the populations who determine how those resources are foraged, cultivated, harvested and sold/traded. Monsanto executives probably won't find much to love in these pages and sensitive PETAites might not be able to stomach some of the barnyard atrocities, but I'd recommend it to just about everyone else. ( )
  dele2451 | Nov 7, 2012 |
Concerned about many alarming trends she's noticed around the world Jane Goodall wrote this book about "mindful eating." In it she talks about all sorts of things revolving around what we, as humanity eat, and how current practices are destroying our environment and what we can do (on an individual level) to make a difference. Some of the things she discusses include the presence of chemicals and poisons in our food, water shortages, bio-engineered crops, the awful treatment of animals in large-scale operations, overfishing of the oceans and loss of species diversity. Some of the information and predictions for the future are downright scary. On a positive note she talks about the many rich food cultures around the world, organizations that teach schoolchildren how to grow and cook their own produce, farmers that go back to using "deep organic" practices in order to heal their land and produce healthier food, the growing numbers of farmer's markets and restaurants that use local food, the importance of vegetarianism (in all its forms) for our health, the well-being of animals and the reduction of resources overuse, etc. She hasn't quite convinced me to go vegetarian but I am more determined to make an effort to buy local and organic food when I can.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Jan 26, 2012 |
Goodall outlines here many of the problems of our current food production systems. Big businesses have taken over a huge fraction of the work and in their quest for profit they neglect both risks to the consumers of their food products and also the general damage to the environment. Many specific problems are dealt with here in some detail, such as cattle and hog feed lots and salmon farming.

Goodall's advice for dealing with these problems is mostly just to shop more sensitively and intelligently - to buy organic free range eggs etc. Growing your own food is also mentioned.

This book is not very reflective - it doesn't really discuss the challenges involved in figuring out how to be a better consumer or a better citizen. The book provides basic lists of do-s and don't-s. Goodall does also give some names of organization and other resources to allow the reader to extend those lists a bit.

I fear that this general territory is very turbulent and these basic lists are not very reliable or durable. I am sure that Goodall has done good research. But the ground is constantly shifting. On the one hand, the global ecology is chaotic and goes through great swings, e.g. which fish are scarce and which abundant can flip around in surprising ways. Then technology, too - food production systems - is also changing rapidly. On top of all that, there are powerful forces of distortion and disinformation. What sorts of conditions are legally allowed behind a label of "free range"?

No doubt, our individual consumer choices are key drivers in the global economy. But these choices are powerfully constrained by the greater cultures we live in. Look at the power of mass media. As long as folks subject themselves to such a barrage of highly tuned advertising, both explicit and that underlying almost all the idealized portrayals of how people live in our culture... one of the most powerful things a person can do is to turn off their TV - and then invite over a neighbor for conversation. Yes, it is good for a family to eat together and enjoy conversation, but essential too for that conversation to extend and circulate.

These are tough times. In an emergency, there is often no time for reflection. Sometimes a simple formula is what is needed for a large group of people to act in a coordinated way. Maybe we can turn our present crisis around by buying organic food. But look e.g. at the problems in finance. It sure seems like banking and investment practices are also serious underlying causes of the crisis in farming. Maybe if we made different choices there, e.g. moving savings to Credit Unions or other locally owned banks, maybe that could help keep small farmers afloat.

If you don't know about the problems with industrial agriculture, this is as good a place to learn about them as any. It has practical information for making wiser food purchasing choices. But this book just covers one facet of a nasty web of problems that is all tangled up and requires a multifaceted method for a real shift to occur. ( )
  kukulaj | Oct 26, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446698210, Paperback)

World-renowned scientist and conservationist Jane Goodall earned her fame by studying chimpanzee feeding habits. But in Harvest for Hope, she scrutinizes human eating behaviors, and the colossal food industries that force-feed some cultures' self-destructive habits for mass consumption. It's an unsustainable lifestyle that Goodall argues must change immediately, beginning--not ironically--at a grassroots level.

Looping personal anecdotes from 40 years of global travels with stories from noble farmer Davids and corporate Goliaths, Goodall methodically builds her case for shopping organic and living modestly. Mustering a tender gumption, she details the vicious cycle of pesticide-ridden and genetically engineered crops which feed the unknowing majority of consumers; and also feed the antibiotic-treated animals that provide these folks with inexpensive entrees. Leaving nasty slaughterhouse scenes to less tactful pens, Goodall focuses more on the product of "factory farming" techniques: mountains of waste, nutritionally depleted soil, polluted water, displaced organic farmers, and severely compromised food.

Hope springs from positive sources: Edible Schoolyard programs in the U.K. and U.S., parents breaking their schools' "unholy alliance" with fast food chains and soft drink companies, a steady rise in organic purchases. Goodall offers many suggestions for rallying others, exercising one's own consumer powers, and just plain eating less meat. Conservationists might say this information is nothing new, which might explain why Goodall provides only tertiary references to her many statistics and facts. But for those who prefer that their own eating habits be stirred--not shaken--into question, the kindly Chimpanzee Lady provides the gentle touch required. --Liane Thomas

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

"An exploration of the global meaning of food and what all of us can do to exercise power over the food industry and, ultimately, our environment"--Provided by the publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible