Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel

Waking Gods (2017)

by Sylvain Neuvel

English (43)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
second installment of the The Themis Files, Waking Gods is a story where several robots appear around the world with deadly effects leading to a possible end of human life as it is known. Themis can only be operated by two people which leaves the world vulnerable without these two pilots. But is that true. Why, do only some people die when the robots react? The characters are much the same with some dying and some coming to the surface. Again, very readable. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 4, 2018 |
I think I liked this one more than the first! This one made me scared, worried, sad and pretty much all the feels. Iā€™m going to start the next one right away! ( )
  ChelleBearss | May 29, 2018 |
3.5/5 stars
I really liked this instalment! I found it much more captivating than Sleeping Giants. A lot more action happened, and the stakes were raised. I really enjoyed the character development in this one as well. It felt like there were more transcripts focusing on individual characters and their thoughts, than just interviews about seemingly random things. It was really cool seeing the different robots and how the characters dealt with the consequences of finding Themis. I really liked Dr. Franklin's POV again, and even our unnamed narrator as well. I liked that we got his backstory. I found the POVs more consistent in this as well, and there weren't too many characters to keep track of.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this, and I will definitely be picking up Only Human soon! That ending was a good one! ( )
  jdifelice | May 21, 2018 |
I love this series! Robots, aliens, how could it go wrong?! The book consists of file entries and is therefore fast to read. I read the first book in Finnish, and I think that felt more like a YA partly because of that. There is something very much movielike in this series, perhaps because the narrating voice is missing and dialogue is emphasized. This narration technique works great for these books. There was plenty of action, although I may have forgotten some from the first. Can't wait for the next one (the finale?)! In space? ( )
  Iira | May 19, 2018 |
I purchased this book from Amazon to read after reading Book 1, Sleeping Giants. All opinions are my own. šŸ”­ Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel Book 2 of The Themis Files. šŸŒŸšŸŒŸšŸŒŸšŸŒŸ
Dr. Franklin is on the verge of mental break after discovering Themis but there is not time to figure out all the answers she wants to know. Suddenly in London there is another Robot. This one bigger, much bigger than Themis. What does it want? Where did it come from? What's it going to do? Then Vincent disappears and Kara is given information that requires and action from her immediately and suddenly Themis has no pilots and there are even more of these gigantic robots showing up all over Earth. Will Rose find the answers she needs to keep her sanity? Does Vincent return in time with Kara to save the world? šŸ”­šŸ”­šŸ”­šŸ”­

In my personal opinion this contained more dramatics than the first and less action, however, The information in this one can only be prelude to the Third book being released on May 1, 2018. I can not wait to gets my hands on that one!!!!! This series is one of my favorite Sci Fi series written. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Apr 9, 2018 |
Voor Barbara en Han Solo.
Luister Barbara, je bent mijn rots in de branding, mijn alles, maar Han is dood! Je vindt het toch niet erg om met hem te delen?
Proloog

Melissa heeft vandaag op school de draak met me gestoken.
Vanochtend is midden in Regent's Park een metalen gestalte van twintig verdiepingen hoog verschenen.

"26 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. 9 years ago: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. Today: with the remainder of the giant robot found and assembled, every question answered about the mysterious contraption raises two more. But the team behind the greatest discovery of the last millennium might be out of time when a second robot suddenly appears, looming over downtown London"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,010,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible