Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Norse Mythology

by Neil Gaiman

The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The Edda feels like the primary source material for Gaiman's retelling
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (themulhern)
    themulhern: The one is a fine retelling of Norse mythology, the other is humorous fantasy based on Norse mythology. So they compliment each other nicely. And both are written rather cleverly.

English (128)  German (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (130)
I looked forward to reading this book simply because it is written by one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman. I wasn't particularly excited about Norse Gods, knowing little about them except that Chris Helmsly makes a really good Thor, but I really only knew basically the names of 3 of them. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find this book very entertaining. Each story is written separately as a Norse myth yet he weaves them so that they intertwine and with Gaiman's outstanding writing ability, he brings each story vividly to life. As the reader, his descriptions are so well that you feel as though you are actually there seeing it as it takes place. Gaiman can write about ghosts, graveyards, Gods, I am convinced he can write about anything and make it wonderful. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
I love Neil Gaiman. And so of course I loved this book. of all the mythological stories out there, there's something about Norse Mythology that I'm always drawn to, maybe because it seems just a bit darker, a bit more rough around the edges. As far as this book of retellings goes, I felt like I was a little kid who picked up a book of fairy tales and cuddled in to hear one of the best storytellers around spin a tale for me. So, so good. Highly recommended! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Feb 8, 2019 |
Gaiman’s versions of the stories are simple but engaging. This is a perfectly enchanting way to immerse yourself in an ancient culture’s mythology for a little while. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
Bought this with Stephen Fry’s Heroes and Mythos, which cover Greek Mythology. Not as familiar with Norse Mythology and thought it might be interesting. It was and very entertaining. If you are a Marvel fan you’ll appreciate the stories and the cast of characters; Thor, Loki, Odin and others. ( )
  tkgbjenn1 | Feb 5, 2019 |
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is a retelling of the stories which captivated many over centuries. Mr. Gaiman is a prolific author – and one of my personal favorites.

I was very excited to read another Neil Gaiman work. I have enjoyed several of his books and graphic novels. His imagination knows no bounds, and his storytelling is masterful.

I knew very little about these stories before opening the book, and was looking forward to learn more. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman does not disappoint, as the author tells wonderful stories in an easy to read, relatable manner.

I speculate that Mr. Gaiman tried to make these stories a bit more interesting than they actually are, while staying away from “comic book” lore, or to make them too pop-culture like. The gods in these stories sure do talk a lot, they are good natured but treats being a wise-ass as a good thing.

I did expect this book to have a bit more adult oriented material, especially from the author of American Gods. I don’t want to believe that the gods of Vikings and Shield Maidens were this passive and didn’t relish in blood, violence and gore. This book almost feels like it was toned down for children or American public sentiment.

A quick story: while I was reading this book the subject of Norse mythology came up on the TV quiz show Jeopardy. I missed the answer only to find out that two pages away from the correct response.

Such is life. ( )

Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, ChrisDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Everett, Old Stories for a new boy
Introduction
It's as hard to have a favorite sequence of myths as it is to have a favorite style of cooking (some nights you might want Thai food, some nights sushi, other nights you crave the plain home cooking you grew up on).
Many gods and goddesses are named in Norse mythology.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039360909X, Hardcover)

Introducing an instant classic―master storyteller Neil Gaiman presents a dazzling version of the great Norse myths.

Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he turns his attention back to the source, presenting a bravura rendition of the great northern tales. In Norse Mythology, Gaiman fashions primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds; delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants; and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people. Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly reincarnating Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin’s son, incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki, the son of giants, a trickster and unsurpassable manipulator. From Gaiman’s deft and witty prose emerges the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:25:29 -0400)

An introduction to Norse mythology.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,470,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible