Sunset in Central Park by Sarah Morgan

Sunset in Central Park

by Sarah Morgan

Series: From Manhattan with Love (2)

Frankie Cole and her two girlfriends Paige and Eva run their own event planning business called Urban Genie. Frankie specializes in floral arrangements. This second book centers around close friends Frankie and Matt.

Frankie has been scorned in love before and has sworn off trusting men, she has some self-esteem issues as well. Her mom sewed her wild oats big time after Frankie’s dad left her for a younger woman. Growing up in a small town called Puffin Island the gossip ran rampant which was one of the reasons Frankie moved away to New York. She’s embarrassed that everyone on the island knows about her family issues.

Matt runs his own landscaping business and he hires Frankie to design the garden in his next project. The two have been lifelong friends and Matt is now trying to break down her walls and take turn their friendship into something more. He’s always had a thing for Frankie but the timing was never right. Frankie has feelings for Matt but she doesn’t think they should act on it because she feels she won’t be enough for him and she also doesn’t want to ruin their friendship if it doesn’t work out. This book reminded me alot of the tv show Friends. Paige and Eva are all for Frankie and Matt getting together. They try to give Frankie advice on the topic of love. Paige and Matt are siblings.

Matt was a great hero, he genuinely cares about Frankie and takes the time to listen to what she is saying. I liked getting Matt’s POV throughout the story on the Frankie situation. It made him an even more likable character knowing what he was thinking of her.

I like the friends to lovers trope, and it worked really well here. It was nice because the love connection seemed realistic. Also, the theme of lifelong friendships, not just romantic ones, throughout the book was sweet. This one was full of some nice lines and thoughtful passages.

Overall, Sunset in Central Park was a nice read about two good friends who finally get together. I liked it, but then my interest waned towards the latter half of the book. I felt it ran a little too long as all ends were being wrapped up. If this one were about 70 or so pages shorter, I would have given it a higher rating. This book is part of a series but can be read as a stand alone.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I received a free review copy of Sunset in Central Park via AmazonVine.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/sunset-in-central-park-from-manhattan-with-love-2-by-sarah-morgan/ ( )
  bookworm_naida | May 24, 2017 |
Just a few months ago, I was fortunate to have been able to read my first book by Sarah Morgan: Midnight At Tiffany’s. I loved the book and the band of friends within the story. I was delighted to find that it was actually the third book in the From Manhattan With Love series as it easily read as a standalone novel. Immediately, I was on the search for the rest of the series. Then I read the first book in the series , Sleepless In Manhattan, and fell in love with the characters all over again. Now, having just finished the second book, Sunset In Central Park, it feels like a trifecta!

Frankie Cole has made it out of her hometown on Puffin Island to The Big Apple. She made the move with her best friends and has never looked back. Shamed by her parents’ divorce and her mother’s resulting promiscuity, Frankie has felt as though the entire island knew about it and judged her for it by association. In New York City, with the support of her group of friends, she feels confident in her field of garden design and floral arrangements.

Matt Walker has known Frankie her whole life. His sister is one of her closest friends and he likes to think he is a close friend too. One encounter leaves him realizing he has only scratched the surface of Frankie’s true personality. What is she hiding under the persona that she wears every day?

I loved the slow unveiling of what Frankie has been hiding and I felt the mask was justified given the shame and guilt that she felt from her parents’ divorce. Furthermore, I enjoyed how patient Matt was with Frankie’s insecurities, yet he was still able to push her to be stronger and face her fears. Frankie has a great supporting group of friends that the reader is able to see their interactions as the narration switches between Frankie and Matt. Lastly, I loved that Frankie was the hero at the end of the day!

I will be reading more of Sarah Morgan’s books and I would recommend this book for readers who enjoy reading romance. Also, for readers who enjoy reading about New York City as the setting is described beautifully. It makes me want to take another trip out there!

On the other hand, I would not recommend this book for readers who do not enjoy explicitly sexual scenarios, brief violence, or foul language (which was only a few times). ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Mar 29, 2017 |
:) ( )
  Janicemo | Mar 5, 2017 |
Such a good book!

I loved Frankie and Matt--definitely MFEO. He was so patient with her particular kind of relationship crazy--until he wasn't, but that was okay too, because they needed to get through that part to get to the HEA, and anyway Frankie totally knew how to bring it for that (literally) kick-butt ending--and she was so, well, crazy.

But in a good way. Mostly. A way that was entertaining to read, anyway. I adore seeing into character's heads and finding out they're way more messed up than I am.

(We're going to ignore the fiction - real life distinction, 'kay? It's better that way.)

Plus, she found a way to get herself to a less crazy place and learn to trust and hope, so--win-win.

Sunset is both a friends-to-lovers and a best-friend's-older-brother story--in other words, the best of both worlds. Add in the fact that Matt is such a stellar book boyfriend that he's even taken in an emotionally damaged cat (aptly named Claws) and really, there was no chance I wasn't going to love this one. Fortunately, it totally lived up to all my hopes, and then some.

I have no excuse for the fact that book one in the series, Sleepless in Manhattan is sitting patiently on my ereader, waiting to be read--what was I waiting for?--and I didn't even have to get to the teaser for book three, Miracle on 5th Avenue , to know that it needed to be added to my TBR, like, yesterday. This series. It's gonna be a favorite, for sure. (But in the meantime, this one worked just fine as a standalone.)

Rating: 4 stars / A- ( )
  beckymmoe | Sep 20, 2016 |
Matt Walker has had feelings for Frankie Cole for a long time. Since he has known her for years he thinks he knows everything about her, wrong. Since she is in business with his sister he must tread gently with her, convince her there is nothing wrong with being in love. Join Matt & Frankie at Sunset in Central Park. It's a wonderful romantic story and I can't wait for Eva's story. ( )
  LindaHenderson | Aug 30, 2016 |

Sarah Morganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woodward, JenniferReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HarlequinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In the chaos of New York, true love can be hard to find, even when it's been right under your nose all along. Love has never been a priority for garden designer Frankie Cole. After witnessing the fallout of her parents' divorce, she's seen the devastation an overload of emotion can cause. The only man she feels comfortable with is her friend Matt-- but that's strictly platonic. If only she found it easier to ignore the way he makes her heart race. Matt Walker has loved Frankie for years but, sensing how fragile she is beneath her feisty exterior, has always played it cool. But then he uncovers new depths to the girl he's known forever and doesn't want to wait a moment longer. He knows Frankie has secrets and has buried them deep, but can Matt persuade her to trust him with her heart and kiss him under the Manhattan sunset?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,805,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible