The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way To…

The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way To Live Well (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Meik Wiking (Author)

Member:welshhilary
Title:The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way To Live Well
Authors:Meik Wiking (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), 240 pages
Tags:hygge, lykke, Denmark, happiness

The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking (2017)

English (22)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
Danes are happy people, this is a statement that few would argue with, considering all of the studies and surveys conducted by various organizations. So what is it about being Danish that makes their people happy? The author of this book Meik Wiking attributes a great portion of Danish happiness to the concept of Hygge. Since I am completely unfamiliar with the Danish Language and Culture, this is a helpful primer indeed. It contains tips on what exactly Hygge is and how to foster a sense of it.

Alongside this is a small glossary and dictionary that defines a lot of the Danish terms and pronunciations. This is an important book in some ways, but not in others. For instance, I don't think this book is worth $19.99, but the publisher does. So this is another book I probably should not have bought, but it really helps to focus on the little things in life. In any case, this book was pretty good. It wasn't amazing or phenomenal, but it did take me more than an hour or so to complete. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
enjoyed reading this one for a book club. Really makes you think about what you do to relax on a day to day basis. Dim lights, warm sweaters, and hot cocoa. Sounds like a good time to me; all curled up with a book in your favorite corner. mmmm fall and winter weather!
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I was definitely intrigued to learn more about Hygge when I heard of the concept. It's about a happiness and comfort, about making your life cozy. I'm definitely the kind of person who enjoys little things like a fuzzy blanket, a warm beverage and a good book. So the concept totally appeals to me.

This is the first book I've read on the topic and it seems like a very good place to start. This book teaches you what Hygge is, about how important/essential it is to the Danes and offers ideas on how to embrace Hygge in your own life.

I'll read more on the subject but I'll look for a book with more suggestions on creating Hygge. This book focuses more, in my opinion, on defining Hygge.
But I think it's a really good place to start in order to really understand the concept.

A quick, easy read, includes some recipes that I plan to try and encourages the desire to read more about Hygge. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Coziness = Happiness

An overall interesting read, but nothing earth-shattering in my opinion. It talks about how hygge, a Danish concept that everyone can understand once explained, makes people overall happier. It shares ideas on how to bring hygge into your own life, both through actions and surroundings. It gave some good tips that I'd definitely like to incorporate into my own day-to-day. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
The first half of this book was delightful. Full of ideas of how to bring more (for lack of a better English word) cozy into your life, it presents the case for living more simply and with more emphasis on social interactions and relationships. It also talks about cake. A lot.

The problem lies in the fact that there was probably enough information for a nice long article, but it was stretched out into a book-length project. It got a bit tedious and repetitive in the last half. I bought this for kindle for $2. I definitely think I got my money's worth. However, with the formatting issues, I do think it would be more enjoyable (and more hygge) as a physical book. So, would I recommend it? Yes. With the understanding that it's a cute little book with some interesting information about attaining happiness, but a lot of it is just gimmick. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | Jun 8, 2018 |
Het boek Hygge, De Deense Kunst van het Leven, trekt in een boekhandel mijn aandacht: het is prachtig vormgegeven, ik word er blij van als ik het zie en in mijn handen neem. Een mooi hardcover boek, met rustige kleuren, tekeningen en foto’s. Ik ben mijn hele leven al geïnteresseerd in Levenskunst – van de Deen Meik Wiking, die in het gelukkigste land van de wereld woont en ook nog eens directeur van het Happiness Research Institute is, hoor ik dus graag zijn visie...lees verder >

The Danes are famously the happiest people in the world, and hygge is a cornerstone of their way of life. Hygge (pronounce Hoo-ga) loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being. You know hygge when you feel it. It is when you are cuddled up on the sofa with a loved one, or sharing comfort food with your closest friends. It is those crisp blue mornings when the light through your window is just right. It is about gratitude and savoring the simple pleasures in life. In short, it is the pursuit of everyday happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,353,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible