The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

The Three Pigs (original 2001; edition 2001)

by David Wiesner

Member:panfeng1115
Title:The Three Pigs
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2001), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Children's picture book

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)

I had mixed feelings about this story after reading it. The book was about the three pigs as they are gathering their materials and building their houses, until the wolf comes by and blows the first little pig right out of the story. This results in the three pigs leaving their story and going into different fairytales. I liked this book because it had a very good plot. The story was funny and interesting to think about and it kept you engaged. For example, when the pigs left the story it made you wonder where they were going next. I also liked how the author included text bubbles because it changed up the book from being just like other books in style. However, I did not like the writing. The story was very scattered. Although I know this was the point, I think it was hard to follow at times because letters and words were all over the pages and out of order. The big idea of this story is that each fairytale or story should be in control of its own ending. The author was trying to prove that even with a change of the original story that the pigs still lived happily ever after. The humor in this story was very strong, making it harder to convey a message. ( )
  AllisonStrait | Oct 1, 2014 |
I loved reading about the three little pigs. I still read it or even just tell the story to my kids. When the three little pigs separated and built three different houses it was interesting to see how these houses worked and how the story went. It shows the kids how to use critical thinking. It's an interesting way to use strategy to see what will work and won't. It also gives some excitement when the big bad wolf comes to the house. ( )
  JennaJ | Sep 30, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about the “Three Little Pigs” by author David Wiesner. The story began in the traditional format of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. The book was set up in graphic novel style. The book changed once the wolf arrived at the house. From there the plot of the book changed immensely. The point of view changed from just observing the pigs into actually interacting with the pigs. I enjoyed how the plot was unpredictable and humorous. On the other hand I feel like if the story had remained with the traditional story but in graphic novel format then the book would have been more effective. I think the book could be a funny read aloud in class in that the story that the students were expecting does not actually happen. For example the pigs run into a dragon and show him a picture of their brick house. “It’s my place. Notice the brickwork. I did it myself.” “A fine castle, methinks.” The big idea is that fairy tales do not have to always be the same, and that they can be humorous as well.
  dbaker16 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Summary: The three pigs is about three different pigs that built three different types of houses. The wolf tries to get in by huffing and puffing and blowing the house down to eat them and the only one that remains standing is the one made of bricks.

Personal reaction: The Three pigs is one of my childhood favorites. I think this story showed how people think different. Because they all wanted something different. One pig wanted a straw house, the second one wanted a stick house and the last one a brick house. I dont think the other two pigs thought about the what could happen before they built their homes.

Classroom extensions: I think this book could be used in the class for critical thinking. Like maybe having the students participate in a art assignment where they use critical thinking to build something. This book can also be used for reading to show the consequences of your actions.
  christianf | Sep 23, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about three pigs that build their own homes and a wolf is trying to blow them each down and eat them. The pigs each escape the wolf by jumping off the page. They wander through different classic stories and help other characters jump off their pages too. In the end the wolf tries to eat them one more time but does not succeed. They all just become friends.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book because it was not your normal Three little pigs story you heard growing up. The author did a great job making it new and exciting.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.In the classroom the children can make up their own version of Three Little Pigs like this author did.
2.We could also draw our own picture of how our Three Little Pigs story would have went. ( )
  christyb2020 | Sep 17, 2014 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.

Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618007016, Hardcover)

Once upon a time three pigs built three houses, out of straw, sticks, and bricks. Along came a wolf, who huffed and puffed... So, you think you know the rest? Think again. With David Wiesner at the helm, it's never safe to assume too much. When the wolf approaches the first house, for example, and blows it in, he somehow manages to blow the pig right out of the story frame. The text continues on schedule--"...and ate the pig up"--but the perplexed expression on the wolf's face as he looks in vain for his ham dinner is priceless. One by one, the pigs exit the fairy tale's border and set off on an adventure of their own. Folding a page of their own story into a paper airplane, the pigs fly off to visit other storybooks, rescuing about-to-be-slain dragons and luring the cat and the fiddle out of their nursery rhyme.

Wiesner, Caldecott Medal recipient for Tuesday, and Caldecott Honor winner for both Sector 7 and Free Fall, prefers not to wait around until pigs fly. He gives them wings (or paper airplanes) and sets them on their way! In his latest flight of fancy, Wiesner uses shifting illustration styles and fonts to startle complacent readers into an imaginary world even as they ponder the conventional structure of story. His trademark crafty humor and skewed perspectives will tickle readers pink (even the nonporcine variety)! (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:56 -0400)

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible