The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

The Three Pigs (original 2001; edition 2001)

by David Wiesner

Member:panfeng1115
Title:The Three Pigs
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2001), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Children's picture book

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)

The Three Pigs is an exciting and new take on the classical story, The Three Little Pigs. Filled with adventure and fun, it was one I did not want to end. This is a truly wonderful book for a number of reasons. One its illustrations are beautifully done and even help enhance the story. Second the actual story line of this book is so fun and different; you cannot help but get sucked in. Finally the characters take on more than just being three pigs. They do more and are more fun to read about.
The illustrations in my opinion are what make the book. If you took away all the text you could still understand everything that happens as you turn the pages. At first, the illustrations start off as simple paintings. The details are simple but when the wolf all the sudden blows the pig out of the picture everything becomes more detailed and even life-like. One of the coolest things about the illustrations is that as the pigs travel to different stories, they take on the different illustration styles of that story. For example, at one point they jump into The Cat and The Fiddle, and go from being realistic pigs to extremely stylized cartoon pigs to fit that story.
The actual story of this book makes it so fun. You have the story of the original three pigs blended in with this new take on the tale and it makes you asked questions like: Who is in charge of this story? , Who gets too decide how it is told? This version of the story starts out as you would expect with once upon a time and with the wolf coming to blow down the pig’s house but as the wolf huffs and puffs he blows the first pig right out of the story. This allows him to help the other pigs out of the story and they make a new adventure. Together the three pigs change and retell the original story as they see fit. They do this by by jumping in to other stories and helping other characters escape their own stories. They jump into The Cat and the Fiddle and an ancient fairytale where they even save a dragon’s life by pulling him out of his story! At the end, instead of the wolf not being able to blow down the last pigs house, the three pigs return to their story with the dragon and cat and scare the wolf away as they make soup. This story makes this classical folktale different, new, and fun for all ages to read.
Finally the characters in the book come alive more then they ever did in the classical tale. The three pigs in this story feel like brothers trying to help and support each other as they escape the big bad wolf. The pigs become adventurous as they dive into new stories and provide a few laughs with the facial expression they make. When they fold up a page to their story into a paper airplane and fly around on it, one of them has this big, happy expression with a word bubble saying “Wheeeeeee!” The characters become more important because they are no longer eaten so you get to learn even more about them, like how they are heroes by saving a dragon from dying.
This story at its core teaches us that if we support each other and work together we can over come any obstacles, especially being eaten by a wolf. It also teaches us about friendship and helping others in need ( )
  AlexWyatt | Nov 10, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about this story after reading it. The book was about the three pigs as they are gathering their materials and building their houses, until the wolf comes by and blows the first little pig right out of the story. This results in the three pigs leaving their story and going into different fairytales. I liked this book because it had a very good plot. The story was funny and interesting to think about and it kept you engaged. For example, when the pigs left the story it made you wonder where they were going next. I also liked how the author included text bubbles because it changed up the book from being just like other books in style. However, I did not like the writing. The story was very scattered. Although I know this was the point, I think it was hard to follow at times because letters and words were all over the pages and out of order. The big idea of this story is that each fairytale or story should be in control of its own ending. The author was trying to prove that even with a change of the original story that the pigs still lived happily ever after. The humor in this story was very strong, making it harder to convey a message. ( )
  AllisonStrait | Oct 1, 2014 |
Personal Reaction - I loved reading about the three little pigs. I still read it or even just tell the story to my kids. It shows the kids how to use critical thinking. It's an interesting way to use strategy to see what will work and won't. It also gives some excitement when the big bad wolf comes to the house.

Summary - When the three little pigs separated and built three different houses it was interesting to see how these houses worked and how the story went. When the first pig built a house out of straw and the wolf blew it down he ran to the next pigs house that had a house out of sticks. When that house was blew down the two pigs ran to the third with a brick house the wolf couldn't blow it down.

Classroom Extension Ideas -
1. Let the kids feel the difference between straw, sticks and bricks.
2. Draw a picture of three little pigs. ( )
  JennaJ | Sep 30, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about the “Three Little Pigs” by author David Wiesner. The story began in the traditional format of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. The book was set up in graphic novel style. The book changed once the wolf arrived at the house. From there the plot of the book changed immensely. The point of view changed from just observing the pigs into actually interacting with the pigs. I enjoyed how the plot was unpredictable and humorous. On the other hand I feel like if the story had remained with the traditional story but in graphic novel format then the book would have been more effective. I think the book could be a funny read aloud in class in that the story that the students were expecting does not actually happen. For example the pigs run into a dragon and show him a picture of their brick house. “It’s my place. Notice the brickwork. I did it myself.” “A fine castle, methinks.” The big idea is that fairy tales do not have to always be the same, and that they can be humorous as well.
  dbaker16 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Summary: The three pigs is about three different pigs that built three different types of houses. The wolf tries to get in by huffing and puffing and blowing the house down to eat them and the only one that remains standing is the one made of bricks.

Personal reaction: The Three pigs is one of my childhood favorites. I think this story showed how people think different. Because they all wanted something different. One pig wanted a straw house, the second one wanted a stick house and the last one a brick house. I dont think the other two pigs thought about the what could happen before they built their homes.

Classroom extensions: I think this book could be used in the class for critical thinking. Like maybe having the students participate in a art assignment where they use critical thinking to build something. This book can also be used for reading to show the consequences of your actions.
  christianf | Sep 23, 2014 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.

Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618007016, Hardcover)

Once upon a time three pigs built three houses, out of straw, sticks, and bricks. Along came a wolf, who huffed and puffed... So, you think you know the rest? Think again. With David Wiesner at the helm, it's never safe to assume too much. When the wolf approaches the first house, for example, and blows it in, he somehow manages to blow the pig right out of the story frame. The text continues on schedule--"...and ate the pig up"--but the perplexed expression on the wolf's face as he looks in vain for his ham dinner is priceless. One by one, the pigs exit the fairy tale's border and set off on an adventure of their own. Folding a page of their own story into a paper airplane, the pigs fly off to visit other storybooks, rescuing about-to-be-slain dragons and luring the cat and the fiddle out of their nursery rhyme.

Wiesner, Caldecott Medal recipient for Tuesday, and Caldecott Honor winner for both Sector 7 and Free Fall, prefers not to wait around until pigs fly. He gives them wings (or paper airplanes) and sets them on their way! In his latest flight of fancy, Wiesner uses shifting illustration styles and fonts to startle complacent readers into an imaginary world even as they ponder the conventional structure of story. His trademark crafty humor and skewed perspectives will tickle readers pink (even the nonporcine variety)! (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:56 -0400)

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible