The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

The Three Pigs (original 2001; edition 2001)

by David Wiesner

Member:jaimie919
Title:The Three Pigs
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2001), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, imagination, p-up

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)

When the three little pigs escape their story and start moving around in other fairy tales, hijinks ensue. May take a few readings for small children to get it, but it would be a great part of a unit on folktales. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
I loved this book. It does incorporate the traditional story of the Three Little Pigs. However, the pigs find themselves caught up in other fairy tales while trying to get away from the wolf. The illustrations were so detailed and made the book that much better. I will be adding this to my collection. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 18, 2014 |
Summary:This book is the traditional Three Little Pigs that displays humor and displaying visual narratives. The story of the three pigs turns into a happy ending but it gives off an imgination that even I was able to portray in my own mind.The story may start out as the average three "litte" pigs, but the author throws in the humor by adding different settings and various storylines. The point of view that is being used is from the three pigs but the author adds humor by displaying texts as if the pigs are talking. I could see this story being somewhat similiar to anthropomorphism because its like a fantasy is being turned into a believable character. The pictures that Wiesner uses just creates an even better image for the reader.
Pesonal Experience: The book was a joy to read and I could read it over and over again. When I was younger I used to love reading the three "little" pigs and now it is great to see how Wiesner added his own touch to this story to elaborate more on humor as well as applying a happy ending. I still enjoy reading the three little pigs but this story explains why he was an award winner multiple times.

Extension Ideas: I could use a compare/contrast of the two stories. The original three little pigs compared to this little pigs.
  atinney16 | Jul 3, 2014 |
An imaginative twist on the three little pigs. They are huffed and puffed off of the pages into another realm.I really enjoyed this story and the witty twists it has. I think children would enjoy the silliness. I love that they pick up their friends throughout the story and rewrite their ending. I would recommend for grades 1-3. ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 24, 2014 |
Wiesner creates beautiful illustrations that pull the reader into the story. In Three Pigs it’s the characters that are pulled out of the story instead. It’s an retelling of the three little pigs but instead of running to one another’s houses, they run out of the story. They pick up a cat and a dragon along the way. This is not a personal favorite since the story doesn’t flow particularly well when read aloud. It’s not quite the caliber of his other books like Tuesday which is essentially wordless. It relies heavily on the images but the use of words and images is still a little choppy. That said I would absolutely recommend this to Wiesner lovers and readers looking for retold tales. ( )
  Anna.Nash | Mar 17, 2014 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.

Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618007016, Hardcover)

Once upon a time three pigs built three houses, out of straw, sticks, and bricks. Along came a wolf, who huffed and puffed... So, you think you know the rest? Think again. With David Wiesner at the helm, it's never safe to assume too much. When the wolf approaches the first house, for example, and blows it in, he somehow manages to blow the pig right out of the story frame. The text continues on schedule--"...and ate the pig up"--but the perplexed expression on the wolf's face as he looks in vain for his ham dinner is priceless. One by one, the pigs exit the fairy tale's border and set off on an adventure of their own. Folding a page of their own story into a paper airplane, the pigs fly off to visit other storybooks, rescuing about-to-be-slain dragons and luring the cat and the fiddle out of their nursery rhyme.

Wiesner, Caldecott Medal recipient for Tuesday, and Caldecott Honor winner for both Sector 7 and Free Fall, prefers not to wait around until pigs fly. He gives them wings (or paper airplanes) and sets them on their way! In his latest flight of fancy, Wiesner uses shifting illustration styles and fonts to startle complacent readers into an imaginary world even as they ponder the conventional structure of story. His trademark crafty humor and skewed perspectives will tickle readers pink (even the nonporcine variety)! (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:56 -0400)

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible