The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

The Three Pigs (original 2001; edition 2001)

by David Wiesner

1,5031914,928 (4.19)9
Member:jaimie919
Title:The Three Pigs
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2001), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, imagination, p-up

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)

This version of the story takes a unique spin from the original text. The illustrations are awesome and encourage the reader to consider the story from different character's perspectives. ( )
  morgansmith32 | Sep 21, 2016 |
This book is the like the original plot but with a twist. It evolves from the same story to the pigs being thrown out of the story. I think that children would enjoy reading this book, because it will give them something different to read and understand. Also, it changes the story and gives the children intense adventures to see and hear. ( )
  GiselleNieto | Sep 19, 2016 |
Summary:
This book starts out as the traditional three little pigs story. They each build a house to avoid the big bad wolf, but he blows the first two down, because they aren't made of strong enough material. When he gets to the third house he attempts to blow it down, but instead blows the three little pigs clear out of the story. They end up traveling all throughout different stories as a result. By the end of the book the three pigs and a few of the other characters they met along the way end up sitting at a table and living happily ever after.

Personal Reaction:
I had no idea this book was going to change to a completely different story. I thought it would just be the story I have heard one thousand times before but it ended up taking a cute spin. I really enjoyed it. I think this would be a fun book to read to a classroom.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would have the kids first tell me the story they know about the three little pigs, before reading this one to them.
2. After reading the book, I would break the kids into groups of three or four and have them all create their own unique stories from combining fairytales that they've heard before.
3, I would construct three model houses out of different materials from the room and then ask them to predict which would hold up the longest.
  Shelby_Booker1214 | Sep 16, 2016 |
This is one of the most genius books I have ever read. Weisner took a normal, old story and turned it into much more. I love how he put his own twist on the story. The way he takes the pigs out of the story and into another world where fairytales meet is amazing. I think kids would absolutely love this book!
  makensiecowart | Sep 12, 2016 |
Summary:

This book starts off just like the traditional story does. There are three pigs and a wolf. The three pigs attempt to build their own house. All three pigs decide on different materials. However, as the wolf begins blowing down the houses an immediate twist in the story begins. The pigs are blown completely out of the story. The pigs are now behind the scenes. They begin taking on the fantasy role and ride paper airplanes into different traditional fairy tales. As the book ends the pigs and other main characters from other fairy tales surround a table and live happily ever after.

Personal Reaction:

I must admit, I assumed this book would follow the traditional story line. However, I assumed wrong. Mid-way through the story the pigs take on a different perspective and enter other fairy tales by way of riding a paper airplane. I enjoyed this book. It stepped away from the traditional aspect of a firy tale and took on another perspective, however, still creating an invigorating story.

Classroom Extension:

1. Have students choose a traditional fairy tale or nursery rhyme and recreate it by combining it with other traditional stories.
2.Create paper airplanes and fly them inside classroom.
3. Separate class into three groups(the three pigs). Have each group create a model size house out of straws, sticks, and blocks. The teacher ( the wolf) will then attempt to blow the houses down. The students will observe which material used was the most durable. ( )
  cwarren0123 | Sep 11, 2016 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.

Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618007016, Hardcover)

Once upon a time three pigs built three houses, out of straw, sticks, and bricks. Along came a wolf, who huffed and puffed... So, you think you know the rest? Think again. With David Wiesner at the helm, it's never safe to assume too much. When the wolf approaches the first house, for example, and blows it in, he somehow manages to blow the pig right out of the story frame. The text continues on schedule--"...and ate the pig up"--but the perplexed expression on the wolf's face as he looks in vain for his ham dinner is priceless. One by one, the pigs exit the fairy tale's border and set off on an adventure of their own. Folding a page of their own story into a paper airplane, the pigs fly off to visit other storybooks, rescuing about-to-be-slain dragons and luring the cat and the fiddle out of their nursery rhyme.

Wiesner, Caldecott Medal recipient for Tuesday, and Caldecott Honor winner for both Sector 7 and Free Fall, prefers not to wait around until pigs fly. He gives them wings (or paper airplanes) and sets them on their way! In his latest flight of fancy, Wiesner uses shifting illustration styles and fonts to startle complacent readers into an imaginary world even as they ponder the conventional structure of story. His trademark crafty humor and skewed perspectives will tickle readers pink (even the nonporcine variety)! (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,218,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible