The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

The Three Pigs (original 2001; edition 2001)

by David Wiesner

Title:The Three Pigs
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2001), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, imagination, p-up

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)

In the Three Pigs by David Wiesner, the reader is exploring the original story of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. This version of the story is one of my favorites because it keeps the original story, but adds illustrations that bring the story to life for the reader. The illustrations are so real, and the reader can get a feel for what the pigs and the wolf were thinking. The book catches your eye at the cover, and drags you in to read the original tale. 5 stars! ( )
  hht23 | Nov 16, 2015 |
Great book and amazing integration of other stories. ( )
  leeneja | Nov 10, 2015 |
I gave this book a close reading for my children's lit class. Check out my review at How I Feel About Books.
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this version of the tale of The Three Little Pigs for two reasons. First of all, I really liked the twist in this classic folk tale. The story begins as the traditional Three Little Pigs. The wolf blows the straw and stick house down, but, the pigs come out of the story and become three dimensional. They run to the third pig’s house where they all leave the story. They fold up the pages and make it into a paper airplane. Then they jump into other folktales like “Hey Diddle Diddle” and bring those characters, like the cat and the fiddle, back to their story to defeat the wolf. This twist in the story surprised me and kept me interested in where the story would go next. I also loved the illustrations. I enjoyed the contrast between the two dimensional wolf and the three dimensional pigs. It made the concept of the animals coming out of the story easy to follow. I think the big idea of this book was to change the original Three Little Pigs story in an unexpected way. ( )
  carlymiller | Nov 2, 2015 |
34 months - ok maybe it's just me but I really don't like this kind of book. First, because it's a classic story that starts off fine and then takes a tangent. Second, because the reading format changes midway through and goes from easy read aloud to cartoon bubbles that are not as easy for reading aloud. This book is likely more successful and enjoyable as a read to yourself book. I didn't find it much easier to read the second time either but at least I knew where the story was going. That said the illustrations are great. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.
Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618007016, Hardcover)

Once upon a time three pigs built three houses, out of straw, sticks, and bricks. Along came a wolf, who huffed and puffed... So, you think you know the rest? Think again. With David Wiesner at the helm, it's never safe to assume too much. When the wolf approaches the first house, for example, and blows it in, he somehow manages to blow the pig right out of the story frame. The text continues on schedule--"...and ate the pig up"--but the perplexed expression on the wolf's face as he looks in vain for his ham dinner is priceless. One by one, the pigs exit the fairy tale's border and set off on an adventure of their own. Folding a page of their own story into a paper airplane, the pigs fly off to visit other storybooks, rescuing about-to-be-slain dragons and luring the cat and the fiddle out of their nursery rhyme.

Wiesner, Caldecott Medal recipient for Tuesday, and Caldecott Honor winner for both Sector 7 and Free Fall, prefers not to wait around until pigs fly. He gives them wings (or paper airplanes) and sets them on their way! In his latest flight of fancy, Wiesner uses shifting illustration styles and fonts to startle complacent readers into an imaginary world even as they ponder the conventional structure of story. His trademark crafty humor and skewed perspectives will tickle readers pink (even the nonporcine variety)! (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible