Prayer and Worship by Douglas V. Steere

Prayer and Worship (original 1938; edition 1947)

by Douglas V. Steere (Author)

Member:MidcoastFriends
Title:Prayer and Worship
Authors:Douglas V. Steere (Author)
Info:Association Press (1947)
Tags:Spirituality

Prayer and Worship by Douglas V. Steere (1938)

Reading this text in the 3rd printing (July, 1940), with the senses engaged in the thick pages, the plain font and the faint trace of a library smell, enhanced the experience of the longer sentences, the quiet pace, the reflective approach and the gentle civility of this "Quaker ecumenist" as Wikipedia describes him. 68 pages, each one worth reading. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Ex libris Allen Hole, Westtown PA, Dorothy Brosius
  BirmFrdsMtg | Feb 26, 2019 |
This book remains a good, simple introduction to the basics of the Spiritual Life. I particularly value the way examples and suggested reading include many different traditions: George Fox, Nicolas of Cusa, Blaise Pascal, Francis de Sales, ... The inclusion of such a variety makes it easier to find the guide you need to read now.

It is, of course somewhat dated, but the language is less obtrusive than you would think, and the greatest problem is that the reading list in my copy (1952) includes a number of books from the 1920s - 40s that have not shown the same staying power as the names listed above, and misses those of more recent decades that will. Even a beginner in the spiritual life would find value in reading this, and it is a good reminder for all of us who need a new impetus to move on. And all of this in less than 70 pages!

This book is one of the ones my father had cherished for decades and passed on to me when he no longer had the space to keep his whole library. I remember him picking out the best of the books he could bear to part with to give to me. Thank you, Dad. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Jan 12, 2012 |

In Prayer and Worship Douglas Steere encourages us toward a deeper spiritual life through the disciplines of prayer, corporate worship and devotional reading. He calls us beyond the "incurable mediocrity of soul that fills the Christian ranks." Douglas Steere's wisdom is sprinkled with quotes from the saints and renews our hunger for the Divine encounter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,604,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible