Fixin' To Die (A Kenni Lowry Mystery)…

Fixin' To Die (A Kenni Lowry Mystery) (Volume 1) (edition 2016)

by Tonya Kappes (Author)

Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Fixin' To Die (A Kenni Lowry Mystery) (Volume 1)
Authors:Tonya Kappes (Author)
Info:Henery Press (2016), 224 pages
Rating:***

Fixin' To Die by Tonya Kappes

Cottonwood, Kentucky population small and quiet with little to no crime, what more could you ask for??? Now Sheriff Kenni Lowry thought the same thing until the town Dr is murdered! The town is in an uproar and wants this murder solved yesterday. They decide to bring in a very handsome Reserve Officer named Finn who quite frankly is annoying Kenni. She doesn't want anyone to know that she is feeling overwhelmed. Then the jewelry store in town is robbed and Kenni is convinced they are connected especially thanks to her grandfathers ghost whispering in her ear. Poppa was the Sheriff for years before he pasted.
Kenni wants to prove not only to herself but the town that she is able to bring a killer to justice.
This is the first book in a new series by Tonya Kappes. I am a good ole southern gal myself and love the town and characters of Cottonwood, Kentucky. Looking forward to more in this new series.
I recieved an ARC of this book and the review is my opinion only. ( )
  soccermom15 | Apr 6, 2017 |
Fixin’ to Die by Tonya Kappes is the first book in A Kenni Lowry Mystery series. Kendrick “Kenni” Lowry is the sheriff in Cottonwood, Kentucky. Kenni was elected two years ago, after the passing of her Poppa, Elmer Sims, who was the previous sheriff. Kenni has been lucky that there has been no crime in Cottonwood since she took office (which is extremely odd even for a small town). But Kenni’s luck has run out. She is called out early to Dr. Ronald Walton’s house (where he also had his office). Dr. Walton was found dead in his home by his receptionist, Toots Buford (only in the South would you find someone with the name of Toots). There is a strange symbol on the doctor’s wrist. Later that day White’s Jewelry store is robbed and the same symbol is on the wall. The two crimes seem to be connected. Kenni goes the grave of her Poppa (her grandfather) and asks for his help since the townspeople are in an uproar. After that, Kenni starts hearing her Poppa’s voice (she thinks it is in her head). Then she actually sees him. At first Kenni believes she is losing her mind, but Poppa soon convinces her that he is real. Poppa is there to help her. Kenni also gets help from the Kentucky State Reserve in the form of Finn Vincent. He is originally from Chicago (so he does not understand the ways of the South-yet). Finn is assigned to help her solve the two crimes. This is especially helpful since Kenni’s deputy just retired, and her only other help is the county jailer, Wyatt Granger. Kenni, Finn, and Poppa set out to find the culprit behind the robbery and murder. Will they be able to find the culprit before he commits another crime?

Fixin’ to Die is easy to read, has a good flow, and I like the paranormal element. Kenni Lowry is an acquired taste. Her behavior is a wee bit over-the-top (especially in the first half of the story). Kenni goes around town doing her investigation and accusing the wrong people (angering the citizens and losing their cooperation). Kenni does not read the reports provided to her, question witnesses, or follow-up on forensic evidence (to make sure it arrived and was processed). Kenni does not actually solve the crime as stumble upon the killer accidentally (technically, it is a win). Kenni is not used to crime, and this is an adjustment period for her (and the town’s citizens). I enjoyed Poppa. I found him to be funny and entertaining. I hope the author will enhance his role in future novels in the series. I give Fixin’ to Die 3.5 out of 5 stars. Ms. Kappes did include a romantic element in the story. There is an attraction between Kenni and Finn (she certainly likes to ogle his physique). It will be interesting to see how it progresses. The author did include some outlandish characters like the philandering town mayor and the spoiled, pampered daughter of well-to-do parents. The cozy element is very prevalent in Fixin’ to Die. Kenni has a busy social life, likes to jog, has a dog, and enjoys a good card game. The mystery was good, but I found it easy to solve (I wish the crime had been more complicated). I could identify the killer before I reached a hundred pages. I appreciated the paranormal element in the form of Poppa’s ghost. It greatly enhanced Fixin’ to Die. Overall, Fixin’ to Die is a good first start to a series. With a little tweaking this could be an entertaining paranormal mystery series. I will be reading Southern Fried the next book in A Kenni Lowry Mystery series. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 19, 2017 |
This is a satisfying cozy mystery featuring small-town sheriff Kenni Lowry. She has returned to her tiny home town, where everyone knows everyone else's business, upon the death of her grandfather, the former sheriff. She has been sheriff for two years when a murder and a jewelry store robbery rock the tiny community and call into doubt her abilities. With a little help from a hunky special reserve deputy and the spirit of her poppa, she manages to unearth a lot of dirt on local residents. Will the secrets unveil the killer? ( )
  DrApple | Feb 3, 2017 |
Kendrick Lowry was the sheriff in Cottonwood. She was actually head of the Cottonwood Police force which consisted of just her after her deputy retired. Since there was virtually no crime for the first two years she was sheriff it was fine that she was the only one. Things changed quickly when there was a murder and jewelry store robbery in the same day. She quickly found out that investigating in real situations was way different that learning about it in the police academy. She was glad when Finn Vincent with the Kentucky State Reserve, was called in to help. Along with him and her dead Poppa's ghost she felt like she could handle the investigation.

I really enjoyed this story set in a small town in Kentucky. It's well written and easy to follow the plot. I was surprised when I found out who the killer was. I love books where I can't figure it out too early. I don't usually read paranormal books but I liked the ghost in this book. It was fun to learn that Poppa (the sheriff before he died) was now scaring off criminals so Kenni wouldn't be put in dangerous situations. The characters were great. Kenni is a strong woman who sometimes feels she's taken on more that she can handle which I can relate to. Finn was a very competent, handsome man. He was good at his job and helped Kenni without thinking about it. The secondary characters added a lot of interest to the story. I especially liked Poppa. Kenni's mother was a typical southern mother who want her to get a "real" job like go to beauty school and be a hairdresser.

If you like cozy mysteries with a paranormal twist, you'll like this book.

Please note I received a copy of Fixin' To Die from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JoAB | Jul 24, 2016 |
Fixin’ to Die by Tonya Kappes is the first book in A Kenni Lowry Mystery series. Kendrick “Kenni” Lowry is the sheriff in Cottonwood, Kentucky. Kenni was elected two years ago after the passing of her Poppa, Elmer Sims who was the previous sheriff. Kenni has been lucky that there has been no crime in Cottonwood since she took office (none at all which is extremely odd). But Kenni’s luck has run out. She is called out early to Dr. Ronald Walton’s house (where he also had his office). Dr. Walton was found dead in his home by his receptionist, Toots Buford (only in the South would you find someone with the name of Toots). There is a strange symbol on the doctor’s wrist. Later that day White’s Jewelry store is robbed and the same symbol is on the wall. The two crimes seem to be connected. Kenni goes the grave of her Poppa (her grandfather) and asks for his help (the townspeople are in an uproar). After that Kenni starts hearing her Poppa’s voice (she thinks it is in her head). Then she actually sees him. At first Kenni believes she is losing her mind, but Poppa soon convinces her that he is real. Poppa is there to help her. Kenni also gets help from the Kentucky State Reserve in the form of Finn Vincent. He is originally from Chicago (so he does not understand the ways of the South-yet). Finn is assigned to help her solve the two crimes. This is especially helpful since Kenni’s deputy just retired, and her only other help is the county jailer, Wyatt Granger. Kenni, Finn, and Poppa set out to find the culprit behind the robbery and murder. Will they be able to find the person responsible for he/she commits another crime?

Fixin’ to Die is easy to read (and can be finished in a couple of hours), but was a little too silly for my taste. I had a hard time liking Kenni Lowry (the way she acts). Kenni goes around town doing her investigation and accusing the wrong people (angering the citizens and losing their cooperation). Kenni does not read the reports provided to her, question witnesses, or follow-up on forensic evidence (to make sure it actually got where it was supposed to to). Kenni does not actually solve the crimes as stumble upon the killer accidentally. I did like the character, Poppa. He was funny and entertaining (best part of the book). There is the requisite romance/attraction (of course) between Kenni and Finn. We also have various town characters like the philandering town mayor and the spoiled, pampered daughter of well-to-do parents. The mystery was good, but I found it easy to solve (the killer is pretty obvious). I give Fixin’ to Die 3 out of 5 stars. I think with some tweaking this could be a good book and series. Will I read the next book in the series? I probably will give the series another opportunity and the reevaluate.

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest evaluation. The opinions and comments expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 11, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,362,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible