Yuge!: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump by G.…

Yuge!: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump (2016)

by G. B. Trudeau

This was quite troubling (and amazing, really) how on point Trudeau was all these many years. I'm still don't want to believe that he is the president... But... I must. Sigh. ( )
  patsaintsfan | Jul 15, 2017 |
You know, Trump didn't just come out of nowhere. And looking at this collection of 30 years of Trudeau cartoons reacting to the man's ego, ethics, sexism, racism, etc., I guess we can't say we didn't see this coming. Alternately hilarious and (from our current political perspective) gut-wrenching, this is a good way to to get a little historic perspective on our current president. I also need to remember to read Doonesbury more often -- I forgot how much I like it! ( )
  kristykay22 | Jun 16, 2017 |
Honestly, before recent political happenings, Donald Trump was not really on my radar at all. Of course I'd heard the name, and could have told you he was rich and that there's been some scandal with his first wife Ivana and his mistress Marla Maples, and that he had funny hair, but that's probably about it. Now he's unavoidable and utterly terrible and ridiculous, and it's interesting to look back at these strips going all the way back to the '80s, and see that he was pretty much the same back then, just on a smaller stage.

I also have very little familiarity with Doonesbury. I never read the funnies much growing up, and when I did, I skipped over the ones with ongoing plotlines and read things like Far Side or Garfield instead, so while I was aware of Doonesbury and could pick it out of a lineup based on the art style, I have no idea who any of these characters are or what other plotlines are going on besides the Trump theme here. So it was a little confusing in that regard, but not to the point of making it unenjoyable.

It was an interesting read and I'm glad I picked it up (I just stumbled upon it, actually, at one of the Little Free Libraries in my neighborhood), but I think people who are already fans of Doonesbury or people who have more familiarity with Trump through the years and can link real life events to the portrayal in the comic would get more from this than me. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | May 19, 2017 |
Some parts I didn't get. Wherever I understood, it made me laugh and nod in agreement. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
These are cartoons from the Doonesbury comic strip published between September 1987 and April 2016. The book was published early in 2016.

What's obvious is that in the thirty years that Gary Trudeau has been lampooning Trump through these cartoons, Trump has not changed a bit, which means basically and unfortunately, no growth at all as human being.

While at times I did laugh at the utter absurdity of the man, mostly it struck me as being almost too true to be funny. As the flap of the book says ”It's all there – the hilarious narcissism, the schoolyard bullying, the loathesome misogyny, the breathtaking ignorance – and a good portion of the Doonesbury cast has been tangled up in it.”

What is truly funny are the comments made by Trump about his appearances in the comic strip, which are generously quoted on the back cover : “Actually I don't read his stuff. You know, I did well in school, but for the life of me, I still can't understand what Doonesbury is all about.” ( )
  streamsong | Mar 28, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible