Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror by…

Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror (edition 2016)

by Richard Kadrey (Author), Ellen Datlow (Editor)

524318,910 (4)None
Member:datrappert
Title:Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror
Authors:Richard Kadrey (Author)
Other authors:Ellen Datlow (Editor)
Info:Tachyon Publications (2016), 434 pages
Tags:Import 20170120

Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror by Ellen Datlow (Editor)

Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review.

I didn’t really like this book. A lot of the stories weren’t even horror. Many of the stories started great and just ended up ending confusing. And don’t get me started on the incest tale. In my hi opinion it didn’t have any place in the collection, and was just plain sick. Four or five of the tales were good. But the book left me disappointed. ( )
  Arkrayder | Oct 17, 2017 |
I have read a lot of Datlow collections over the years. This one didn’t stand out, which isn’t necessarily a criticism. There was a lot more apocalyptic horror than I remember from similar collections but I didn’t go back and check—I may be paying more attention to end-of-the-world narratives than before. Represented authors include: Gene Wolfe, Brian Hodge, Lisa Tuttle, Gemma Files (epistolary horror, where you’re supposed to put together the pieces); Margo Lanagan, Caitlin R. Kiernan (genderswapped SPN where they’re serial killers instead of monster hunters), and Richard Kadrey. Standouts for me were Anna Taborska’s Little Pig, which doesn’t require any supernatural beasties when human decisions can be terrible enough, and Garth Nix’s Shay Corstam Worsted, which might be one of the apocalyptic stories—the ending is ambiguous. ( )
  rivkat | Feb 21, 2017 |
Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror is the newest addition to prolific editor Ellen Datlow’s catalog. This anthology combines a wide range of genres; everything from the every-day contemporary horror, paranormal horror, to end of the world horror. The variety manages to add depth to the collection as a whole and keeps the reader guessing in terms of what to expect next. There is easily something in here for everyone.

This collection is comprised of many big-name authors such as Margo Lanagan (Tender Morsels), Dan Chaon (Await Your Reply), Caitlin R. Kiernan (The Drowning Girl), Garth Nix (Sabriel), and Richard Kadrey (Sandman Slim). “The Goosle” by Margo Lanagan is a disturbing retelling of the Hansel and Gretel fairytale involving cannibalism, “How We Escaped Our Certain Fate” by Dan Chaon is a horror-light but is a bleak look at how our world could be if zombies rose, “Interstate Love Song (Murder Ballad No. 8)” by Caitlin R. Kiernan is the story of twins on a murderous rampage, “Shay Corsham Worsted” by Garth Nix is an interesting bit of contemporary paranormal that I wanted more of, and “Ambitious Boys Like You” by Richard Kadrey is the last and most terrifying story of the bunch. Other notable titles: “Our Turn Too Will One Day Come” by Brian Hodge is about the uncovering of horrifying family secrets, “That Tiny Flutter of the Heart I Used to Call Love” by Robert Shearman is a terrifying tale of dolls, and “Lonegan’s Luck” by Stephen Graham Jones is a tale of zombies and your luck running out.

Each of these short stories were hand-picked from anthologies from the last ten years in order to showcase a complete decade worth of horror. While the bulk of these stories were enjoyable in a horrifying way, there were a few that simply didn’t work as much as the others. All in all, this was a solid collection that certainly lived up to the title. These stories come off as fragmented, possessing a hazy, dream-like quality where it’s unclear what is real and what is mere fantasy. But isn’t that what nightmares are all about? ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Nov 3, 2016 |
Nightmares is a collection of the best horror from 2005-2015. All of the stories were new to me, and I enjoyed it overall. There are two incest stories, which was a bit much to me, but I read on, and the stories had their good parts also. There are stories about demons, magic, murderers, psychos, and an evil little girl that reminded me of Elmyra from Animaniacs. The cover to this book is awesome, by the way. If you like horror, and don't mind "modern" stories, pick this up.

I was given a free copy for an honest review. ( )
  lesindy | Oct 4, 2016 |

Taborska, AnnaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tuttle, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, KaaronContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

An acclaimed horror editor presents 24 terrifying tales from such authors as Garth Nix, Livia Llewellyn, Richard Kadrey, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Laird Barron, Margo Lanagan and Gene Wolfe that remind us that evil is all around us.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,837,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible