The Futures by Anna Pitoniak

The Futures

by Anna Pitoniak

Anna Pitoniak’s debut novel, The Futures, is about two recent college grads trying to find success and their way in the real world. It’s 2008 and the beginning of financial instability for this country. Julia and Evan have been dating for a couple of years are college sweethearts and are deeply in love. They both just graduated from Yale and are excited to be moving in together in New York City. Julia is unsure of what she wants to do with her life and Evan is working at a reputable hedge fund corporation. However, they soon become distant, cold and rather selfish. I appreciated the ease and flow of the novel and Pitoniak’s writing and description of NYC, but felt it lacked more diverse and multicultural characters (it is NYC after all). I found the book to be okay. Perhaps millennials will identify with the characters more than I did.

Thanks to NetGalley and Little Brown and Company for giving me an ARC of the book, in exchange for my honest opinion.

For more reviews, visit: http://debbiesbooknook.com/book-reviews.html ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
I quite enjoyed this one. I had to think about what I wanted to say about it for a week or two and I've come to the conclusion that this book is very good at illustrating that adulting is not only hard, it's also a practiced discipline. The story goes through both points of view of Evan and Julia through the height and crash of their marriage and the financial collapse of 2008. There's plenty of nastiness meted out but I still cared about how things would resolve for Evan and Julia. By book's end, I was sated and glad that I'd read this. I'll most assuredly look for more from the author in the future. Definitely recommended if you're looking for a weekend read or something good on your daily commute.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
'The Futures' reminds me of my 17 yr old granddaughter who happens to be in love and coming towards the end of her Course at College. Decisions, decisions!

I enjoyed this novel much more than I thought I would. I am not usually keen on novels that has alternating viewpoints, but must say on this occasion, it was very well done. I am not going to write what the story is about for fear of spoiling for others, but I do highly recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review. ( )
  JeanetteS | May 30, 2017 |
Julia and Evan met during their freshman year at Yale. Evan grew up in Canada and attended college on a hockey scholarship while Julia grew up in Boston and attended boarding school. Their relationship continues past graduation and together they move to New York City.

Evan starts a job at a prestigious hedge fund while Julia gets employed at a non-profit organization. The financial crisis of 2008 puts enormous stress on their relationship. Evan get increasingly nervous as rumors of layoffs consume his workplace. He is sleeping less and barely has time to take care of himself. Julia is also finding that her first job out of college is not meeting her expectations. The life they both believed that they would share is deteriorating and both are forced to make important life decisions.

This book shows the progression people make as they grow through adulthood. The author does a wonderful job of depicting varying emotions of stress invading our daily lives. The book reminded me that mistakes made in your twenties are easy to rectify when your whole “future” is ahead of you. This is a debut novel by Anna Pitoniak. ( )
  leopolds | Apr 9, 2017 |
As a millennial who has faced my own struggles with figuring out life (often in the mist of a financial crisis), this book held a particular resonance. In this tale, a couple freshman from Yale in the class of 2008 settle in New York City. Evan has landed a job at a hedge fund and Julia finds an opportunity working at a charity. While off to a good start, the 2008 financial crisis strains their budding careers and relationship. The story of finding yourself in early adulthood is timeless, but I truly appreciated the contemporary spin and relevance of this tale. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 2, 2017 |

Anna Pitoniakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A heart-wrenching debut novel about a young couple trying to find out what they really want in life--and whether or not that includes each other.

Julia and Evan fall in love as undergraduates at Yale. For Evan, who grew up in a small town in Canada, Yale is a whole new world, and Julia--blond, beautiful and rich--is part of his vision for a successful future. After they graduate in 2008, they move together to New York city, where Evan takes a job at a hedge fund--another step forward in the life he imagines for himself.

Julia, who has only known a life of privilege, graduates with an art history degree and no plan for her own future. She lands a low paying assistant job at a nonprofit, unsure about what she really wants, and wondering when everyone else figured that out for themselves.

With the market crashing and banks failing around him, Evan becomes involved in an increasingly high-stakes deal at work, and begins to realize that the price of privilege may come with dangerous strings attached. Meanwhile, Julia reconnects with someone from her past--someone who offers her a vision of a different kind of life.

Told in alternating perspectives, The Futures is a vivid story about love--falling in and out of it--betrayal, and the burning desire to be valued.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 09 Jul 2016 13:20:48 -0400)

Falling in love as Yale students and moving to New York City in 2008, hedge fund employee Evan is embroiled in a deal that risks everything he has worked for, while nonprofit employee Julia reconnects with someone from her past who represents a different kind of life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,065,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible