Jerzy: A Novel by Jerome Charyn

Jerzy: A Novel

by Jerome Charyn

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Jerzy is funny, curious, soft, endearing, and strange, and I enjoyed it immensely. The first narrator was my favorite, but the other narrators helped fill in the details of a very complex, indefinable protagonist. It's odd to me that I'm left with a feeling of softness, since so much of the story was harsh and damaged, but the depth of character in this book is incredible. ( )
  MizPurplest | Apr 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I should have known that this book wouldn't be for me when I saw that it was compared to The Crying of Lot 49. I slogged through it. I wouldn't say that it is a fault of the book, but of the reader. Maybe someone who likes similar books could give a decent review. ( )
  strandbooks | Jun 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as a free ARC through Librarything from the publisher, Bellevue Literary Press, in exchange for an honest review.

If I'm being 100% honest, I had no idea who [a:Jerzy Kosiński|11121|Jerzy Kosiński|http://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1342908489p2/11121.jpg] was prior to my reading this and, despite frequent references to his writing, I think, in the long run, it was better that way. It allowed me to go in without any preconceived notion of the man and let [a:Jerome Charyn|53408|Jerome Charyn|http://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1299339792p2/53408.jpg] paint a picture of him in front of me, even if this is only a fictitious recreation of what may or may not have happened. In a way, it made him as mysterious to me as it did the people around him, telling the story.

That threw me for a loop at first, if I'm to be frank. Upon initially reading the description on Librarything, I thought the book would be from Kosiński's perspective, perhaps with him as an unreliable narrator, but it wasn't. Instead, it's broken up into sections and each voice is someone closer and closer to this mysterious man until, finally, we arrive at the segment pertaining to one of his beloved characters. Each acquaintance and confidant up to that point shed a different light on this mysterious man, but the final two sections are, possibly, the most telling.

The section, just before the end, entitled "Little Red" is from the perspective of a woman whom allegedly helped him write his novels as well as aided in finding him ghostwriters to round them out. This woman was also gives us an idea of what was going on as Kosiński's purported charade began to unravel. The final section takes the reader into an entirely new realm and allows a glimpse into the origin of Kosiński's stories. We finally meet Kosiński's father, his mother, and his idol and arguably his most popular character, Gavrila. I have a feeling this section would make a lot more sense after reading [b:The Painted Bird|18452|The Painted Bird|Jerzy Kosiński|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348130740s/18452.jpg|825359], which I intend to do, once I find a copy.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this novel, though I really can't pinpoint an exact audience. ( )
  cebellol | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Because his persona was so strange and illusive, understanding Jerzy Kozinski was challenging for his biographer, James Park Sloan. In the final analysis, Sloan speculated that Kozinski suffered from alexithymia, a regression of feeling that "makes the affects useless in the processing of information." An alternative approach to the Kozinski story might be to imagine him in a work of historical fiction. This is what Jerome Charyn does in JERZY. In an interview, Charyn described Kozinski as “a shadow within a shadow within a shadow.” He never mastered the English language, a fact that lead to his eventual downfall because of his extensive use of “editors.” What he did master, however, was something he learned in Nazi-occupied Poland—the art of lying and dissembling. Charyn captures this quality admirably in his novel, but also portrays Kozinski as a gifted storyteller. Ultimately Kozinski used stories to once again survive. Only this time, it was not the Nazis, but a language and culture where he was never completely comfortable.

Charyn uses multiple narrators, some based on real people and others imagined, to tell Jerzy’s story. His approach is to start at the end and work backward through his colorful life to the time when Kozinski’s strange persona may have formed. He begins in the period of Kozinski’s peak fame, when he derived much satisfaction from social climbing and hobnobbing with celebrities, including Princess Margaret and Lord Snowden. Ian worked for Peter Sellers at the time and relates the story of Sellers’ intense interest in portraying Chauncey Gardner in a movie version of “Being There.” Kozinski loved playing hard to get with Sellers, but eventually relented. Because Sellers comes across as just about a weird as Kozinski, this part of the novel is quite amusing. One of the more humorous anecdotes in this section tells of a meeting between Sellers and Stan Laurel, who is now living in a retirement home and missing his longtime partner, Oliver Hardy. Sellers manages to convince Stan that he is Hardy with delightful results.

Svetlana Alliluyeva was briefly Jerzy’s neighbor on the faculty at Princeton. Jersy admired Stalin and was completely taken with Svetlana.

As the novel progresses backward, Charyn introduces Kozinski’s alcoholic ex-wife. As a consummate social climber, Jerzy saw the obvious advantages in being married to the heir to the petroleum jelly fortune. However, he demonstrates little real affection for or loyalty to this bizarre woman.

Next up is Anna Karenina, a dominatrix who Kozinski meets while patronizing her sex club. Caryn uses this relationship to introduce his problems with eclectic storytelling encumbered by awkward writing in English. Anna provides Jerzy with an extremely talented and sexy young editor who manages to re-write his prose using Stalin’s much loved green pencil.

The most revealing chapter deals with Jerzy’s early life in Poland. He often told the story, related in “The Painted Bird”, of abandonment by his parents during the war and being left to wander the countryside. Charyn sets that record straight by depicting Jerzy, surviving as a Jew in Nazi-occupied Poland, not by abandonment, but by dissembling. His father managed to hide him and his family right under the noses of the Germans by masquerading as Catholics.

The narrative deftly travels backward by carefully pealing away the layers of Kozinski’s bizarre life, much like an archeologist would, to reveal a few shards of truth. We discover a traumatized boy who learned to survive and even succeed by his wits and imagination.

Charyn approaches his subject with a clear eye. At the height of his career, Kozinski did enjoy many successes. He was a major literary figure, winning prestigious awards. He made the acquaintance of famous and powerful people and was a darling of the talk show circuit. Charyn also gives us a ruthless social climber, sexual libertine, pathological liar and strange exhibitionist. On balance, he returns to where he started. “There is no meaning. He was a shadow within a shadow within a shadow.” ( )
  ozzer | Mar 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Jewish boy saved himself from the Nazis in Poland by pretending to be a Catholic, even to the point of becoming an altar boy. Pretending to be someone else became a way of life for Jerzy Kosinski (he was born Jozef Lowenkopf), the noted Polish-American author and the protagonist of Jerome Charyn's new novel, "Jerzy." "I cannot function without disguises and masks," Charyn has Kosinski say.

The theme of pretense and disguise fills Charyn's novel, and it isn't only the title character who is a master of deception. The novel begins, in fact, with actor Peter Sellers, gifted at impersonation, who played the lead role in the film "Being There," adapted from one of Kosinski's novels. Other people whose lives intersected with Kosinski's, including Princess Margaret and Svetlana Alliluyeva (Stalin's daughter), were good at playing roles. Of one character we are told, "Gabriela would undergo sudden changes. She'd show up dressed as a man, her long hair pulled back and hidden under a hat." Jerzy remembers his father playing chess with himself: "He could change his persona, according to which side of the board he was on."

"We're all painted birds," Jerzy says at one point, a reference to another of his novels, "The Painted Bird." Charyn seems to suggest that everyone is something of a fake, our real selves hidden behind paint or false smiles or other people's hats.

The novel wanders, going back and forth in time with a variety of different narrators picking up the thread of the story. We read, in no particular order, about his survival during World War II, his escape to the West, his coming to the United States in 1957, his marriage to an alcoholic heiress, his literary success and then the accusation that he plagiarized much of his work. It was quite a life, in reality as well as in fiction, before it ended prematurely with suicide in 1991. Unfortunately it was the real Jerzy Kosinski who died that day. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Mar 15, 2017 |

"Jerzy Kosinski was a great enigma of post-World War II literature. When he exploded onto the American literary scene in 1965 with his best-selling novel The Painted Bird, he was revered as a Holocaust survivor and refugee from the world hidden behind the Soviet Iron Curtain. He won major literary awards, befriended actor Peter Sellers (who appeared in the screen adaptation of his novel Being There), and was a guest on talk shows and at the Oscars. But soon the facade began to crack, and behind the public persona emerged a ruthless social climber, sexual libertine, and pathological liar who may have plagiarized his greatest works. Jerome Charyn lends his unmistakable style to this most American story of personal disintegration, told through the voices of multiple narrators--a homicidal actor, a dominatrix, and Joseph Stalin's daughter--who each provide insights into the shifting facets of Kosinski's personality. The story unfolds like a Russian nesting doll, eventually revealing the lost child beneath layers of trauma, while touching on the nature of authenticity, the atrocities of WWII, the allure of sadomasochism, and the fickleness of celebrity."-- Page [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jerome Charyn's book Jerzy: A Novel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible