The Fisherman by John Langan

The Fisherman (2016)

by John Langan

After having suffered tragic losses, Abe and Dan take to fishing for consolation. Following a hard winter, Dan suggests fishing at a new place Abe has never heard of: Dutchman's Creek. On the way there, they stop at a diner for breakfast, where they hear from the cook a long, strange, and unbelievable story about the place. This novel has the story-within-a-story format, not one of my favorite conceits, but it works here because of the old-fashioned style of the storytelling: part Washington Irving, part Herman Melville, part H. P. Lovecraft. Needless to say, Abe and Dan don't heed the warnings and go on to Dutchman's Creek, where they encounter something terrible. I can't say that I completely understood what was happening at the end, but the unusual and horrific imagery of the final scenes more than made up for that. A solid horror tale. ( )
  sturlington | May 10, 2018 |
This was a slow-burning horror story about two men who have each suffered terrible loss and find solace in fishing together. One suffers from a deep depression and talks the other into fishing at the hard to find Dutchman's creek. There is a reason that this creek is hard to find and they will come to regret looking for it.
This novel worked for me, but I could see how it might not for others. The first part of the novel is the backstory of the two men's respective losses and introduces in the creek. Then a second tale starts of them being warned of what happened in the creek in the previous century, which starts the horror part of the novel. Once we get back to the tale of the two men the novel stays firmly in the horror category right to the last page! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Oct 10, 2017 |
The slow methodical pace of The Fisherman builds the suspense to an extremely high level. Excellent characters and a wonderful haunting story. ( )
  caanderson | Sep 24, 2017 |
Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way? ...

--the palsied universe lies before us a leper; and like willful travelers in Lapland, who refuse to wear colored and coloring glasses upon their eyes, so the wretched infidel gazes himself blind at the monumental white shroud that wraps all the prospect around him. And of all these things the Albino whale was the symbol. Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?

--Herman Melville, Moby Dick
For Fiona
Don't call me Abraham: call me Abe.

"In upstate New York, in the woods around Woodstock, Dutchman's Creek flows out of the Ashokan Reservoir. Steep-banked, fast-moving, it offers the promise of fine fishing, and of something more, a possibility too fantastic to be true. When Abe and Dan, two widowers who have found solace in each other's company and a shared passion for fishing, hear rumors of the Creek, and what might be found there, the remedy to both their losses, they dismiss it as just another fish story. Soon, though, the men find themselves drawn into a tale as deep and old as the Reservoir. It's a tale of dark pacts, of long-buried secrets, and of a mysterious figure known as Der Fisher: the Fisherman. It will bring Abe and Dan face to face with all that they have lost, and with the price they must pay to regain it."--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,075,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible