Coulrophobia & Fata Morgana by Jacob M.…

Coulrophobia & Fata Morgana (2016)

by Jacob M. Appel

I received this book from a member give away from librarything.

I enjoy a book of well written short stories and this book hit the mark. Each story offered an interesting perspecitve into the lives of the characters. As with all books of short stories, there are a few that I really enjoyed and a few I didn't care for. In this case, I am not going to share what those specific stories are because the feelings about the stories are soley due to my own perspectives in life and I enjoyed the writing style of the author. The one thing I defintely did not like is the design of the cover. While I understand where the cover was trying to go, I just didn't like it and would not be tempted to pick up this book to try out if I was looking for a good read, based soley by the cover. ( )
  greymith | Apr 19, 2019 |
I recieved this book as part of a series of giveaways. This is an honest review.

I really enjoyed this series of short stories. The plots were well thought out, suspenseful, and easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this book! ( )
  cryczak232 | Jan 18, 2019 |
An entertaining and thought-provoking collection. Instead of running counter to reality, the quirkiness of the stories feels true to the strangeness, and the struggles, of lived experience. ( )
  Beth_Castrodale | Jul 27, 2018 |
I received this for free from the author. I love short stories and the majority of these did not disappoint. I'll review each one.

The Butcher's Music - A story about a butcher and her sister trying to kill her newborn children. Very interesting story and loved the characters. Ending was great... although she should end up with the guy.

The Punishment - Story about a girl who was always in trouble and now much older has to deal with her troublesome grandson. Characters were great and I felt bad for the main character. Ending was superb.

Pollen - Story about a girl who feels bad for her cousin and buys her flowers. It turns into a obsession where it ends up she breaks it off with her boyfriend. The ending was weird. I was hoping for a different ending. Good story though.

Boundaries - Story about two guards at the usa/canada border and getting in contact with a woman who may have smallpox. However, it is really a story of unrequited love. I didn't like the ending, she should've kissed him.

Coulrophobia (phobia of mimes) - story about a guy who rents an apartment to a mime. The mime gets along with the wife and son but the father is having issues with him. Good ending where the husband got his in the end.

Saluting the Magpie - Great story about a child who may have pica (condition where someone eats weird things). The mother is a nervous wreck believing everything that disappeared winds up in her stomach while the husband thinks the wife is crazy. Great ending and kinda strange.

Fata Morgana - My least favorite story in the book. It's about a woman on her honeymoon, pregnant and trying not to smoke. She tours around the island, flirts with the tour guide. Boring and ending was weird. Definitely didn't make sense to me.

Hearth and Home - Story about a woman and a chimney sweeper. She teaches him Norweigan while her husband is away. Love the story. Great buildup and the ending is wonderful.

Counting - Okay story about two census takers finding a home out in the boondocks. The woman with no legs and the husband who can't talk. Very strange and confusing ending.

Silent Theology - Funny story about a priest who sees his dead wife making out with Greta Garbo. Funny how he tries to get rid of her and finally figures it out at the end. My favorite story in the book. ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 18, 2018 |
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway. Interesting collection of short stories. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |
For Rosalie
Two days after she finds a packaged ham tucked in among the Passover brisket, the butcher receives a letter from her sister.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Coulrophobia & Fata Morgana is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,247,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible