Next by Michael Crichton

Next (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

"We live in a time of momentous scientific leaps; a time when it's possible to sell our eggs and sperm online for thousands of dollars or test our spouses for genetic maladies. We live in a time when one fifth of all our genes are owned by someone else, and an unsuspecting person and his family can be pursued cross-country because they happen to have certain valuable genes within their chromosomes"--Container.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Next
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Harper (2006), 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:michael crichton, genetics, biotech, shelfari_import

Next by Michael Crichton (2006)

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    Prophet of Bones: A Novel by Ted Kosmatka (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Maybe there is a reason some DNA experiments are off limits.
    Zoo by James Patterson (stembrook)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Sims by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: In Next, Crichton takes genetic engineering to comical commercial heights; but with Rubicon Harvest, Kesting brings the future of stem cell science right into our world. Gritty and stunning in it's realism, Rubicon Harvest is a roller coaster ride of tech thrillers. Think Blade Runner meets CSI!!… (more)

English (146)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (153)
A genetic based thriller about a possible near future where genetic research and treatments become abused by corporations, the court system, and other areas. The story has multiple POVs that deal with different areas of concern with genetics in a health system, financial, and in our culture. While the idea of exploring a science fiction genetic thriller is a great idea, the execution is poor. The main problem is that the POVs jump back and forth very quickly. Some chapters are shorter then 1 page. There was not near enough time to figure out the characters and their story line. The ideas and the implications behind the book are entertaining. If the author would have just focused on one POV for a longer period of time before moving on, it would have been a much better read. ( )
  renbedell | Sep 16, 2019 |
Remarkably effective soporific. ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
It is a scientific thriller that tells about genetics.
Although I'm not familiar with science nor genetics in particular, yet it seems that Crichton did an excellent job in his scientific explanations.

Two main drawbacks in the book-
First of all, you have to be patient because Crichton is overly exaggerating with the scientific descriptions and genealogy articles that appear in each chapter.
Second, the book has many characters, and finally, only at the end of all things, everything connects, so it's a little hard to follow.

Nevertheless, the result is satisfactory in my opinion - it is a fascinating thriller. ( )
  Ramonremires | May 1, 2019 |
In my opinion, this is one of the essential books that prepare us for the genetic revolution and raises ethical and legal questions about the issues in the field.
I agree that the story is lacking, and there is no neat plot, although at the end all the stories connect. ( )
  AvrahamDavid | Mar 28, 2019 |
I know this is a book about technology, but that doesn't mean that the characters have to be nondescript and the action arbitrary.
  Kindlegohome | Sep 19, 2018 |
All science fiction has some element of titillation — a strategy of taking known facts and stretching them to the limits of credulity, for the purposes of both entertaining and enlightening. But Crichton seems intent on confusing his readers, pummeling them with a barrage of truths, half-truths and untruths, until they have no choice but to surrender. As one of the author’s numerous stand-ins warns a naïve interlocutor, “Disinformation takes many forms.” Here, finally, Crichton has a point that should be heeded.

''Next'' would be a narrow, uninteresting book if its sole point were to condemn such tactics as transgressive. Instead Mr. Crichton moves far beyond questioning the morality of such experiments and acknowledges that they happen. His whole thriller-tutorial boils down to one troubling question, asked about each freakish breakthrough described here: Now what? Since ''Next'' is one of Mr. Crichton's more un-put-downable novels, the reader may experience some frustration. It's tempting to stop and look up each of the genetic, legal and ethical aberrations described here in order to see how wild a strain of science fiction is afoot. Save a step. Just believe this: Oddity after oddity in ''Next'' checks out, and many are replays of real events. ''This novel is fiction, except for the parts that aren't,'' Mr. Crichton writes, greatly understating the book's scary legitimacy.

This novel is fiction,
except for the parts that aren't.
The more the universe seems incomprehensible, the more it also seems pointless.
—STEVEN WEINBERG
The word "cause" is an altar to an unknown god.
—WILLIAM JAMES
What is not possible is not to choose.
—JEAN-PAUL SARTRE
Vasco Borden, forty-nine, tugged at the lapels of his suit and straightened his tie as he walked down the plush carpeted hallway.
Our bodies are our individual property. In a sense, bodily ownership is the most fundamental kind of ownership we know. It is the core experience or our being.

That is why when an individual donates tissue to a doctor of a research study, is is not the same as donating a book to a library. It never will be. If the doctor or his research institution wishes later to use tht tissue for some other purpose, they should be required to obtain permission for this new use. And so on, indefinitely.

Because the descendants of a dead person share his or her genes, their privacy is invaded if research is done, or if the genetic makeup of the dead person is published. The children of the dead person may lose their health insurance simply because contemporary laws do not reflect contemporary realities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,729,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible