Next by Michael Crichton

Next (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton

Member:JeffV
Title:Next
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Science-fiction

Next by Michael Crichton (2006)

2006 (11) 2007 (24) 2008 (13) audiobook (21) biotechnology (27) Crichton (23) DNA (16) ebook (21) ethics (16) fiction (495) first edition (18) genes (13) genetic engineering (50) genetics (142) hardcover (23) literature (10) medical (14) Michael Crichton (23) mystery (36) novel (43) own (15) paperback (14) read (49) science (51) science fiction (323) suspense (45) technology (13) thriller (190) to-read (34) unread (29)
    Prophet of Bones: A Novel by Ted Kosmatka (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Maybe there is a reason some DNA experiments are off limits.
    The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Sims by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: In Next, Crichton takes genetic engineering to comical commercial heights; but with Rubicon Harvest, Kesting brings the future of stem cell science right into our world. Gritty and stunning in it's realism, Rubicon Harvest is a roller coaster ride of tech thrillers. Think Blade Runner meets CSI!!… (more)

English (123)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Romanian (1)  French (1)  All languages (130)
Non è facile trovare un romanzo che possa farci intravedere quali possano essere le implicazioni di un tema di cui tutti hanno sentito parlare, ma pochi possono cogliere le ricadute sul futuro dell'uomo. Evidenziare i problemi che possono nascere da un uso non regolamentato della genetica e mantenere un linguaggio comprensibile alla maggior parte delle persone non è cosa facile. Crichton ha scritto un libro per tutti coloro che vogliono accostarsi a questa tematica senza preconcetti. Consiglio il libro a chi non lo guardi come un testo scientifico, ma a a coloro che vogliono un bel romanzo d'azione e nel contempo riflettere su un nostro possibile domani. ( )
  briolini1113 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Not the standard Crichton fiction action/adventure but I enjoyed it and feel too many gave it a bum rap. The novel is a loosely-knit collection of possible quandaries / anecdotes that illustrate some real and some possible problems within the big picture of genetic research today. Crichton's NF 'Author's Note' about his research for this novel along with his insights and thoughtful conclusions about gene research, gene patents, gene testing, human tissue ownership, unenforceable research bans, & the Bayh-Dole Act (in light of its unintended consequences) are worth the price of admission alone! I recommend this book both as an fun interesting pop lit read and for Crichton's NF research notes. ( )
  PitcherBooks | Jan 6, 2014 |
Is a loved one missing some body parts? Are blondes becoming extinct? Is everyone at your dinner table of the same species? Humans and chimpanzees differ in only 400 genes; is that why a chimp fetus resembles a human being? And should that worry us? There's a new genetic cure for drug addiction--is it worse than the disease? What's coming Next? Get a hint of what Michael Crichton sees on the horizon in this short video clip: high bandwidth or low bandwidth We live in a time of momentous scientific leaps, a time when it's possible to sell our eggs and sperm online for thousands of dollars and to test our spouses for genetic maladies. We live in a time when one fifth of all our genes are owned by someone else, and an unsuspecting person and his family can be pursued cross-country because they happen to have certain valuable genes within their chromosomes... Devilishly clever, Next blends fact and fiction into a breathless tale of a new world where nothing is what it seems and a set of new possibilities can open at every turn. Next challenges our sense of reality and notions of morality. Balancing the comic and the bizarre with the genuinely frightening and disturbing, Next shatters our assumptions and reveals shocking new choices where we least expect. The future is closer than you think.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Someday in the distant future people will be reading their history books and shaking their heads at us, chuckling and wondering how we could behave so absurdly...not unlike the way we do now with some of the absurd science that took place a century before us, really. You see, we patent genes. GENES. The genes in your body can be legally owned by a private company, and they don't even have to do anything, they just have to point at it and say "That's ours" and poof, they own it. What? Hm? How? It's like pointing to the moon and saying "that's mine" and poof, the moon is yours and no one else can have it.

It's so head-slappingly preposterous, yet it's exactly what happens. Big businesses and major pharmaceutical companies OWN YOUR GENES, which means a part of you is THEIR PROPERTY. And if you find out a way to profit from it, they can sue you! And if you have a genetic disease but the owner of the patent is too busy working on other things so your gene (and disease) is on the back burner, guess what? No one else can help you find a cure, because it would be illegal to cure you! Only that company can work on it legally. Intriguingly, despite all this, if you contract a patented genetic disease that is killing you, you are not allowed to sue the company. So you can't cure yourself because they OWN the gene, but if you are dying as a result of THEIR gene that's too damn bad. Isn't capitalism wonderful?

That is what Next is about, in a nutshell. The story is hard to summarize, because it's all over the place. Crichton obviously had some very important things he wanted to write about, but he seemed to have a hard time bringing them all together in a cohesive way. There is a huge cast of characters and approximately a bazillion horrible things happening to all of them, but it wasn't as engaging as it should have been because there was just so much happening. I also grew wearing after reading about how every person in the book is banging their secretaries and every other woman they know or meet. All the chauvinism is totally obnoxious and icky, even if it only pertains to the a couple characters.

I think the topic is one that needs to be discussed, and I really appreciate what Crichton is doing here, but the book itself could be better. ( )
2 vote Ape | Jul 26, 2013 |
Of all MC's books, this is by far my least favorite. It read like a thick biology textbook. He continued to introduce new characters every other chapter for the entire length of the book, most of whom were somehow connected to other characters. It was impossible to keep them straight, and I read the book much more quickly than I normally would. If I'd read it over the course of two weeks, I'd have been hopelessly lost. Finally, what was probably supposed to be a cautionary tale felt more like an excuse to get up on a soap box and show off how much he knows about genetic research, then to smack us around and tell us how the world was soon to be ruined by it and its political interests. I enjoy his works best when he wraps science in adventure. This was politics wearing a thin, dry coat of science, and I was very disappointed. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
All science fiction has some element of titillation — a strategy of taking known facts and stretching them to the limits of credulity, for the purposes of both entertaining and enlightening. But Crichton seems intent on confusing his readers, pummeling them with a barrage of truths, half-truths and untruths, until they have no choice but to surrender. As one of the author’s numerous stand-ins warns a naïve interlocutor, “Disinformation takes many forms.” Here, finally, Crichton has a point that should be heeded.

''Next'' would be a narrow, uninteresting book if its sole point were to condemn such tactics as transgressive. Instead Mr. Crichton moves far beyond questioning the morality of such experiments and acknowledges that they happen. His whole thriller-tutorial boils down to one troubling question, asked about each freakish breakthrough described here: Now what? Since ''Next'' is one of Mr. Crichton's more un-put-downable novels, the reader may experience some frustration. It's tempting to stop and look up each of the genetic, legal and ethical aberrations described here in order to see how wild a strain of science fiction is afoot. Save a step. Just believe this: Oddity after oddity in ''Next'' checks out, and many are replays of real events. ''This novel is fiction, except for the parts that aren't,'' Mr. Crichton writes, greatly understating the book's scary legitimacy.

This novel is fiction,
except for the parts that aren't.
The more the universe seems incomprehensible, the more it also seems pointless.
—STEVEN WEINBERG
The word "cause" is an altar to an unknown god.
—WILLIAM JAMES
What is not possible is not to choose.
—JEAN-PAUL SARTRE
Vasco Borden, forty-nine, tugged at the lapels of his suit and straightened his tie as he walked down the plush carpeted hallway.
Our bodies are our individual property. In a sense, bodily ownership is the most fundamental kind of ownership we know. It is the core experience or our being.

That is why when an individual donates tissue to a doctor of a research study, is is not the same as donating a book to a library. It never will be. If the doctor or his research institution wishes later to use tht tissue for some other purpose, they should be required to obtain permission for this new use. And so on, indefinitely.

Because the descendants of a dead person share his or her genes, their privacy is invaded if research is done, or if the genetic makeup of the dead person is published. The children of the dead person may lose their health insurance simply because contemporary laws do not reflect contemporary realities.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060872985, Hardcover)

The future is closer than you think.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:04 -0400)

In a near-future world where biotechnology and genetic research has become big business, the discovery of several transgenic animals leads to a legal and ethical battle over the rights to genes that can be used for commercial purposes.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible