Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth…

Natural Born Charmer

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Series: The Chicago Stars (7)

Recently added byprivate library, skullduggery, aczkh, razmatazz, smbrigham, EchoRidge, hoppiloco, mleonowitz, LolaKarns
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (emania)
    emania: It's the same kind of feel about the relationship between the couple and both female leads are sassy and smart and independent and both male leads are sharp and the banter between them is fantastic. Also, the secondary characters in both novels are well developed and fleshed out and both novels have good underlying plots other than just to get the main characters in the sack together. Also, and probably most importantly for me, they both made me laugh so hard I cried while reading them while keeping me in touch with the characters as people.… (more)

One of the best opening scenes ever. ( )
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |
One of the best opening scenes ever. ( )
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |
Natural Born Charmer is a delightful contemporary fictional story, filled with funny situations and witty dialog. The characters in this book will win your heart, stir your emotions, and make you laugh.

Thirty-year-old Blue Bailey learned from a very young age that people could not be trusted. Everyone she has ever loved left her. She decided that it was easier to feel the heartache of loneliness, than to suffer the stinging pain of betrayal and rejection. So Blue Bailey hid herself behind a smart mouth, oversized tee shirts, combat boots, and a badass attitude.

Pro football player Dean Robillard smiled when he spotted a woman dressed in a beaver suit, stomping alongside the highway, blazing with anger. Intrigued, he pulled his car over. He had no idea that his life was about to change forever. Blue Bailey on the other hand had no idea that she was about to let in a self-centered, selfish man who would crack her inner fortress, and break her heart.

Blue Bailey marched along the Tennessee Highway, furious and fit to be tied. Her bank account had been ransacked, her car rendered useless, and if she didn’t get out of her beaver suit soon she was going to drop from heat exhaustion. So when Pro football star Dean Robillard stopped to offer her a ride, she took it.

Dean was used to women falling all over him. So when Blue Bailey refused his charms, he was stunned. Who was this girl? She certainly wasn’t a beauty queen dressed in men’s clothing and combat boots. She should feel lucky that he even acknowledged her presence at all. But the more time Dean spent with Blue, the more he discovered that her thick sarcastic exterior was just a cover for the insecure beautiful girl who lived beneath it.

Blue couldn’t understand why she even cared about Dean. He was a conceited jerk and treated his mother as if she were dead. Blue got it though; he had been abandoned, but so had she. Maybe her mother wasn’t a druggie like Dean’s, but at least his mother was trying to be there for him now. That was more than she could say about hers.

Blue had to get away from Dean Robillard. She was playing with fire, and her heart was about to be broken. So Blue took a job painting a portrait for a mean-spirited, hateful woman, who would end up befriending her.

Natural Born Charmer is a well written, funny and emotional read, crafted with several subplots. Susan Elizabeth Phillips does a fabulous job developing her secondary characters. She depicts for the reader the overwhelming guilt that hits a parent when they realize, that their self-indulgent lifestyle has left permanent scars upon their children. Each character in Natural Born Charmer pulled at my heartstrings, except Dean Robillard. He never won me over. I love the character of Blue Bailey though; she’s sassy, smart and funny and has a beautiful, loving heart.
The common thread in Natural Born Charmer is about relationships, the pain of them, the joy of them, and how some relationships are just worth fighting for, no matter what. I loved this book, it moved me emotionally and made me laugh. It’s unrealistic, but it’s so enjoyable that it really doesn’t matter. I read the book in one day.

I highly recommend Natural Born Charmer. Be prepared to laugh and ride a roller coaster of emotions. Smart mouth, badass Blue Bailey is going to win you over. I guarantee it.

~5 out of 5 stars~ Review by Peg Glover ( )
  Peg_G | Mar 30, 2015 |
Oh, I'm so sad that it came to an end. This book is on my top 3 of this incredible series, only losing for Nobody's Baby but Mine or Dream a Little Dream, which made me cry a lot. I was a little unsure about this one because Dean didn't make much of an impression on me in the previous book, but here I grew to be crazy about him and I loved every single second of it. Blue is on a whole other level of cuteness and badassness. She is freaking incredible. And it was amazing to see how everybody had their time in the spotlight and nobody was left behind. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I know a lot of people didn't like Blue and Dean, but I adored them. The more times I read this story the more I fall in love with them. Riley, April and Jack were all excellent secondary characters. SEP is a natural talent. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Susan Elizabeth Phillipsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, Annamain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060734582, Mass Market Paperback)

It wasn't every day a guy saw a headless beaver marching down the side of a road, not even in Chicago Stars quarterback Dean Robillard's larger-than-life world. He slammed on the brakes of his brand-new Aston Martin Vanquish and pulled over in front of her.

The beaver marched right past, her big, flat tail bouncing in the gravel, and her small, sharp nose stuck up in the air. Way up. The beaver looked highly pissed . . .

She was definitely a girl beaver because her beaver head was missing, revealing sweaty, dark hair pulled into a scraggly ponytail. He'd been praying for a little distraction from his own depressing company, so he threw open the door and stepped out onto the shoulder of the Colorado road . . .

Funny, sexy, and touching—Natural Born Charmer is the unforgettable love story of a golden boy who might be losing his luster and a spirited woman who's learned never to depend on anyone but herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Taking to the road between seasons, attractive Chicago Stars quarterback Dean Robillard meets the beautiful and infuriating Blue under unusual circumstances and draws on his competitive skills to overcome her wariness of relationships.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible