E Che Kar by Hank Pedersen

E Che Kar

by Hank Pedersen

Recently added bystreamsong

I picked this up in a Glacier Park Gift shop a few years ago. I had enjoyed [[Mary Roberts Rinehart]]'s account of traveling through Glacier Park in 1915, and thought this would be an interesting look at Park tourism a few years later.

This is the story of Mary B Totten, a friend of the author's who along with 15 other people answered a commercial vacation ad for a 'hiking unit' through Glacier National Park; the trip was sponsored by the Detroit News. Ms Totten took numerous photos of her trip which consisted of 120 miles in twelve days starting near Macdonald Lake and finishing at Many Glaciers. At the time of Tottens journey, there were lodges and camps set up every 10 miles or so for hikers doing this route. Some of the journal entries are from fellow hiker Elmer C. Adams. There are also postcards from the era reproduced in the book.

Unfortunately, the flowery prose of the author made this almost unreadable. For instance ”As momentum picked up for national park status for the Glacier bracket of Lewis and Clark Forest Preserve, and with the combined efforts of many citizens from all walks of life and lobbying influence by the owners of the Great Northern Railroad, their toil, political astuteness and good judgment were rewarded when Glacier National Park was established by the Congress on May 11, 1910, fifty years to the day after my Danish ancestors boarded a sailing ship bound for America to participate in an explorative venture for opportunity and religious freedom in the territory of Utah. “ p11

And so on.

I am going to keep it in my Glacier Park library, because I do like the photos and the descriptions of camps and lodges no longer found in Glacier.
  streamsong | Aug 11, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,780,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible