Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In by…

Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Bernie Sanders (Author)

Member:parasolofdoom
Title:Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
Authors:Bernie Sanders (Author)
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2016), 464 pages
Collections:To read

Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In by Bernie Sanders (2016)

This memoir/political treatise starts with a short background of Sanders’ life and then a more detailed account of the 2016 election campaign. It’s still pretty remarkable how in a short time a little known Senator from a small state was able to bring together so many people and win 23 primary elections, get millions of votes in other primaries, and win nearly half of the elected delegates. Although the 2016 election ended in the triumph of evil, there’s a lot of inspiration of reading this story of what can be done when bringing together a movement based on equality, progressive values, and social democracy. The second part of the book diagnoses the political ills of America and what can be done to heal them. It’s preaching to the choir for me, but a handy guide that I hope will be relied on in the coming years. ( )
  Othemts | May 9, 2017 |
This hybrid opinion-memoir is clear and well written. There is a chapter on each of Sander's main issues, and, just before the credits, a conclusion.

Bernie paints a picture in which the stakes for our country are very high, and that improving our standard of living, quality of life, as well as our leadership and respect in the world, will be a difficult and likely very a slow process, if we even succeed.

Bernie goes to the source of the problems we are having, rather than addressing the short-term Band-Aid actions so often followed. Very good reading but unsettling as was Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring", or Gore's "Inconvenient Truth". But best to be informed as Gore and Carson did alert us to real issues that did need addressing. Bernie's issues also need addressing and the sooner the better. ( )
  billsearth | Feb 10, 2017 |
This is an amazing book and should be on every American’s reading list. I am an avid election follower so I watched and read everything I could during the recent presidential election. I had previously read the book “Double Down: Game Change 2012” by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, so it was no surprise to me that the Democrats, including President Obama, were invested in making Hillary Clinton their nominee. I always felt that this was a mistake. My feelings about this proved to be true as evidenced by the election results. I had felt that Bernie Sanders would have made a more compelling candidate and the only one who could have appealed to the core Trump supporters as well as so many other groups in our society. However, while mistakes were made, there is much to learn from this man, and most of it is laid out in his book. He provides an interesting history of his life and his political history right up to his loss of the Democratic nomination. While this was very interesting, the most compelling part of this book are his discussions on his agenda for America: his views on the economy, health care for all, affordable higher education, climate change reforms, reforms of the criminal justice system, immigration reform and the issues corporate media outlets pose to our democracy. Much of what he says makes so much sense and could easily be achieved if we can only defeat special interest groups and the top 1% of our population who control the majority of the country’s wealth. I remain a Bernie Sanders fan and hope there is another candidate out there who can take up these issues in a similar fashion for all of our sake. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jan 29, 2017 |
(Introduction) When we began our race for the presidency in April 2015, we were considered by the political establishment a day the media to be a "fringe" campaign, something not to be taken seriously.
I grew up in a three-and-a-half-room rent-controlled apartment.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible