Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Soon I Will Be Invincible

by Austin Grossman

1,391955,464 (3.75)48

English (93)  French (1)  All languages (94)
Why do some metahumans end up Superheroes -- fighting for good, and why do some become Supervillains and fight the Superheroes? Doctor Impossible is "the smartest man in the World". He is an evil genius who has been in jail 12 times. When he escapes again (he always escapes) he has a new plan to take over the world. And this time it will be different... ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I just loved this book. ( )
  NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
This didn't grab me. I got a little way into it and realised I was looking at other audiobooks to read or not listening to this when I would normally listen to my audiobook. The person who recommended it suggested it was because I didn't quite get what they were trying to do with the comic hero tropes but honestly, the writing didn't really grab me either - it was very inconsistent in style and the narrative voice jumped all over the place. I'm sad I didn't get into the meaty "what makes a hero" themes, but overall I just wasn't compelled to keep going with this. I've abandoned it in favour of the other things I kept graivtating towards while I should have been reading this. ( )

Austin Grossmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, J. PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marlo, ColeenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Allen and Judith Grossman
This morning on planet Earth, there are one thousand, six hundred, and eighty-six enhanced, gifted, or otherwise-superpowered persons.

Doctor Impossible—evil genius, would-be world conqueror—languishes in prison. Shuffling through the cafeteria line with ordinary criminals, he wonders if the smartest man in the world has done the smartest thing he could with his life. After all, he's lost every battle he's ever fought. But this prison won't hold him forever.

Fatale—half woman, half high-tech warrior—used to be an unemployed cyborg. Now, she's a rookie member of the world's most famous super-team, the Champions. But being a superhero is not all flying cars and planets in peril—she learns that in the locker rooms and dive bars of superherodom, the men and women (even mutants) behind the masks are as human as anyone.

Soon I Will Be Invincible is a wildly entertaining first novel, brimming with attitude and humor—an emotionally resonant look at good and evil, love and loss, power and glory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

"Doctor Impossible - evil genius, diabolical scientist, wannabe world dominator - languishes in a federal detention facility. He's lost his freedom, his girlfriend, and his hidden island fortress." "Over the years he's tried to take over the world in every way imaginable: doomsday devices of all varieties (nuclear, thermonuclear, nanotechnological) and mass mind-control. He's traveled backward in time to change history, forward in time to escape it. He's commanded robot armies, insect armies, and dinosaur armies. Fungus army. Army of fish. Of rodents. Alien invasions. All failures. But not this time. This time it's going to be different." "Fatale is a rookie superhero on her first day with the Champions, the world's most famous superteam. She's a patchwork woman of skin and chrome, a gleaming technological marvel built to be the next generation of warfare. Filling the void left by a slain former member, Fatale joins a team struggling with a damaged past, having to come together in the face of unthinkable evil."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,044,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible