Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Soon I Will Be Invincible

by Austin Grossman

1,309None5,943 (3.75)42
2007 (16) 2008 (8) 2009 (7) adventure (7) borrowed (7) comic books (9) comics (34) cyborgs (10) ebook (8) evil genius (8) fantasy (90) fiction (189) hardcover (10) humor (47) Kindle (7) library (10) novel (38) read (36) read in 2007 (7) read in 2008 (9) science fiction (98) sf (27) sff (18) speculative fiction (9) superhero (50) superheroes (146) supervillains (17) to-read (31) urban fantasy (9) wishlist (9)

English (83)  French (1)  All languages (84)
could not finish
  micanopyan | Mar 29, 2014 |
Its good to see a book do something different for a change.For example seeing the world through eyes of a villain.Giving us insight as to why they do what they do. ( )
  jonathan21 | Mar 11, 2014 |
Sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover. ( )
  sprite | Feb 16, 2014 |
Doctor Impossible is your typical evil genius - a diabolical scientist who wants to be emperor of the world. He escapes from prison, again. His nemesis is the Champions, a collection of superheros. The newest member of the Champions is Fatale, a cyborg. The story switches between the perspective of Doctor Impossible and Fatale leading to their inevitable clash, as well as going back to their origin stories. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jan 30, 2014 |
I feel like I just didn't get this book. I should -- it's about superheroes, and their inner lives, like Watchmen in prose. But something about it didn't work for me.

I guess the problem is that the entire thing is back story. It's almost entirely written in past perfect. Everything already happened and we're just seeing the aftereffects. There are few actual events that happen until halfway through the novel. There's a lot of "thinking/observing" where we're in the character's mind, and the characterization is glossed over -- characters have bulimia, divorces, and none of this is explored. I feel like if you separated the narrative from the dialogue, you'd have two totally different stories.

And yet despite these flaws, I still felt compelled to read it. Maybe because it's a "behind-the-scenes" of Silver Age comic books (the ones that were super ridiculous like creating a race of tiny lizard-men or alien boys cause a ruckus). When Lex Luthor escapes prison, where does he go? What does he do while he rebuilds? What do superhero teams do when they're not fighting crime? How do they recruit? How do newbies get accepted? How do they react when one of their own "dies"?

It's the background brought to the foreground, and maybe that's where I find it falling flat. It's a novel in inverse, and that's atypical -- it's not action-oriented. But like I said, maybe I'm looking at it in the wrong way. And someone else will enjoy it more than me. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 14, 2014 |

Austin Grossmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, J. PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marlo, ColeenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Allen and Judith Grossman
This morning on planet Earth, there are one thousand, six hundred, and eighty-six enhanced, gifted, or otherwise-superpowered persons.

Doctor Impossible—evil genius, would-be world conqueror—languishes in prison. Shuffling through the cafeteria line with ordinary criminals, he wonders if the smartest man in the world has done the smartest thing he could with his life. After all, he's lost every battle he's ever fought. But this prison won't hold him forever.

Fatale—half woman, half high-tech warrior—used to be an unemployed cyborg. Now, she's a rookie member of the world's most famous super-team, the Champions. But being a superhero is not all flying cars and planets in peril—she learns that in the locker rooms and dive bars of superherodom, the men and women (even mutants) behind the masks are as human as anyone.

Soon I Will Be Invincible is a wildly entertaining first novel, brimming with attitude and humor—an emotionally resonant look at good and evil, love and loss, power and glory.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

"Doctor Impossible - evil genius, diabolical scientist, wannabe world dominator - languishes in a federal detention facility. He's lost his freedom, his girlfriend, and his hidden island fortress." "Over the years he's tried to take over the world in every way imaginable: doomsday devices of all varieties (nuclear, thermonuclear, nanotechnological) and mass mind-control. He's traveled backward in time to change history, forward in time to escape it. He's commanded robot armies, insect armies, and dinosaur armies. Fungus army. Army of fish. Of rodents. Alien invasions. All failures. But not this time. This time it's going to be different." "Fatale is a rookie superhero on her first day with the Champions, the world's most famous superteam. She's a patchwork woman of skin and chrome, a gleaming technological marvel built to be the next generation of warfare. Filling the void left by a slain former member, Fatale joins a team struggling with a damaged past, having to come together in the face of unthinkable evil."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible