The Universe Next Door by Al Macy

The Universe Next Door

by Al Macy

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All (10)
Before we get started *I received this book for free for a fair and honest review* I've been wanting to read more sci-fi lately especially since reading Leviathan Wakes but I didn't just want to rush into the next book in the series. The Universe Next Door seemed perfect

I know this is the third book in the Jake Corby series and I usually like to read the other books before just diving in, however it said this was a stand alone and I didn't need to read the other two to understand this one. I kinda wish I did though. from the very beginning I felt like I was missing an important information. I would have loved to like to book. The world is very thought out, Macy is very good at describing the world around Jake, I also really like the alien (other dimensional?) species, but I still just couldn't get into it.

If you are a avid sci-fi fan then look into the first book Contact Us. Macy did mentioned actions that happened in his other books that I had no idea about, although he did explain what happened I really wished I read the other ones. Also let me just say that theres' a dog in this and well.. yea. I don't want to give anything away but the entire time I was wondering how Jake didn't just fall apart. ( )
  NelmsTree | Dec 29, 2016 |
The Universe Next Door: A Jake Corby Sci-Fi Thriller (Jake Corby Series Book 3) by Al Macy is an amazing sci-fi book! My gosh, I was so absorbed in this book, I loved it soooo much. Jake is having a get-together and his dog had been acting strange all that morning. During the get-together, as he is touching the hands of his 83 yr old grandmother-in-law, and his dog with his other hand, he is transported (with the two he is touching) into another world, another parallel world. It is so weird and exciting. They have to fight prehistoric creatures, live off the land with what they have, and they weren't the only ones transported from their worlds, it gets sooo friggin good! Great plot and strange characters, and weird creatures. I loved the "insane" bird like creatures, they had me laughing like crazy. Lots of action, suspense, adventure, tears, joy, thoughtfulness, intrigue, humor, and great sci-fi/fantasy. It is a must read...loved it! I won this book from Goodreads! I had read some of his books before and loved them so I was super happy when I won! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Nov 25, 2016 |
Thanx so much for letting me read it!!! Enjoyed it!!! :) ( )
  jennifferhope | Nov 14, 2016 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Be sure to buckle your seat belt and return your tray to the upright position before you dive into this book - because you are in for a wild ride! I honestly loved it. ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | Oct 27, 2016 |
The hero of the story – Jake Corby - is in survival mood, but remains remarkably upbeat given the onslaught of fantastical problems he must overcome. Repeatedly, he employs smart-aleck humor to break the tension. Brilliant.

The twists and turns in the scifi plots were many. First, Jake gets stuck in a cave with his mother-in-law and dog; then he loses them and must seek help from dinobirds, then triangular airships and an impending crash collision; next a visit to Mars and colony ships. I didn’t expect so many twists and turns. But they kept coming, which kept my attention.

To develop his alternative universe, the author must have done extensive research on the fauna and flora of Earth millions of years ago as well as Mars. His dinobirds were also uniquely described; the author owns (or owned) a parrot or bird of some kind, definitely; I know this since I volunteered at a bird shelters years ago.

Well done, keep the books the coming. ( )
  MahaErwin | Oct 7, 2016 |
I won this book in a giveaway and it is super cool. I've just begun my ebook collection and I'm glad to have added it. It's worth a read.
added by BookAddict3000 | editLibraryThing (Aug 1, 2016)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Al Macy's book The Universe Next Door: A Jake Corby Sci-Fi Thriller was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Al Macy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible