The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

The Upside of Unrequited (2017)

by Becky Albertalli

So I started this book near the beginning of this month, maybe read a page or two and put it down. When I picked it back up I didn’t stop until I finished it. It was so cute!
This contemporary book pulls in so many of the awkward teen emotions with first relationships, almost relationships, crushes, friendships, and all those fun hormones that come with growing up. I honestly felt like she was pulling out the emotions from my own high school years, the battles you have in your head and put them on paper.
Also, did anyone else think of Criminal Minds when introduced to Spencer? I think every geeky moment with him that’s all I could think of, he was adorable and nerdy but also seemed very sure of himself in who he was. ( )
  Kylana | Aug 13, 2018 |
Hm, okay. this book reminded me quite a bit of rainbow rowell, it's a very character-driven feelings-heavy coming-of-age type story about growing up and changing. if you like rainbow rowell, and diverse character-driven books about Big Teenager Feelings, this book is right up your alley.
this book was pretty easy to read, although frustrating at times.

-molly reminds me of 16/17 year old me SO MUCH. like uncomfortably much. from her anxiety to frustration at her lack of romantic experience, from her fear of confrontation to her selfishness, from her nervousness around cute boys to finally feeling beautiful only when a boy has expressed interest in her. IT'S RELATABLE™ AND I HATE IT
--negative reviews have said it's a Bad Message to send to young girls that getting a boyfriend will cure your negative self image. i do agree that it is a Bad Message. HOWEVER. i don't think there is anything wrong with feeling beautiful for the first time because of a boy. sometimes teen girls only find their self worth once a boy notices them, and i know it's shitty, and it sucks, building your self worth on something as unstable as another teenager is not a good way to find yourself, but it happens, and it's understandable, she's seventeen so shut up.
-every character (including molly) grated on me at some point in the book. the problem with character-driven stories is a lot of the conflict can be resolved if everyone sat down and had an honest conversation with each other WITHOUT STORMING OFF OR INTERRUPTING oooohhh it's so frustrating to read, especially MOLLY WHO CANNOT DEAL WITH CONFRONTATION AND MAKES STUPID DECISIONS BASED ON WILD ASSUMPTIONS i hate her because she's me.
--also cassie was annoying as hell lol but tbf she's also an annoying 17 year old? so like. understandable. realistic. still frustrating to read. (maybe contemporary ya just..... isnt my thing)
-it seems that from time to time the author dips into a bit of author filibuster. the conversation about how sex or losing your virginity is valid whether a penis is present or not (seriously these teens used the words 'problematic' like something straight out of a tumblr discourse), pretty much any scene with grandma betty, molly's thoughts on slutshaming...... I mean it doesnt really matter whether or not i agree with these opinions (i agree with most of them, just for the record) but that i have to read through clunky conversations about virginity or the word slut or "you're hot for a big girl" is just

-listen: luv diversity, diversity is kool and gr8, but what i don't like is an AVALANCHE of forgettable minor characters that seem to only be there as a ticked box on your diversity bingo card.
-god, the texting. the emojis! shut up. i have yet to read a contemporary fiction that doesn't use texting as communication in a really awkward, clumsy way.

anyway bah i can totally understand why people love this book, but it's a no from me ( )
  MegScrungus | Aug 7, 2018 |
Molly is 17, and though she's had a lot of crushes, she's never had a boyfriend. She's self-conscious about her weight and when her twin sister meets a girl and the two of them become an item, Molly feels left out and even more insecure.

I would consider this a "cute" YA novel. It was decent and there was a lot of appropriate teenage angst as you might expect in a story of this sort. There were also a lot of diversity-type issues -- almost too many packed into one story to be believable: bisexuality/homosexuality, same-sex marriage and dual moms, multi- and mixed races, sperm donors, etc. Plus a lot of present-day teenage "stuff" such as anxiety controlled with medication, talk of birth control, alcohol, weight and self-image, texting & emojis, and tons more. It was mostly relatable, but at times it did feel like Albertalli was trying to cram in as much as she could in one book. The basic story wasn't anything particularly unique, but it was mostly enjoyable because the author is a good writer. However, having said that, it didn't live up to its predecessor, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (aka Love, Simon). Overall, enjoyable, but not her best. ( )
  indygo88 | Jul 9, 2018 |
I gotta say, I really didn’t enjoy this book as much as everyone else did. The concept of it was nice and it had a lot of potential but it did not meet my expectations whatsoever, especially since I adored simon vs the homo sapiens agenda.

The diversity here is amazing. Molly’s sister is a lesbian, she has two moms, she’s Jewish, her siblings are sperm donor babies, and the list just goes on and on. And it doesn’t feel forced? It’s not just that the author was going through a checklist picking which minorities to include, it felt organic and realistic.

Another great aspect? The family dynamic. This is what made me not dnf the book to be honest. I loved the family and their relationships, and the way they handled the issues in front of them felt very real to me. I also loved how the examination of the way romantic relationships affect familial ones, which is the biggest problems Molly faced with her twin sister. And the discussion of how it’s a problem that we feel pressured to date to be “normal” as if it’s a race was great.

Now... the problems. Molly is fat, and this of course I don’t have a problem with and I think it’s very important to have main characters that aren’t skinny girls. She has problems with her self image and how she thinks others see her which is completely understandable. However all of these problems aren’t solved through her but through finally getting a boyfriend?? There was no character development whatsoever it was just her pining after numerous crushes until one finally worked out. And the fact that they were solved just because one person decided to care about her I found to be ridiculous because concerns like that don’t just go away.

Also, once again I get her fear of putting herself out there but the WHOLE BOOK was her describing her crushes and at any mention of anything remotely sexual/romantic she would spiral into pages of oh I’m never going to get a boyfriend. I honestly found it to be very excessive and all the good familial aspects of the book were overshadowed by Molly’s need to get a boyfriend as if it were her whole personality.
Her twin was horrible at times and it bothered me how Molly just stood there and took it, of course right before going back into boyfriend talk.

This book could’ve been so much! I know that lots of people related to Molly and there were so many good important aspects that aren’t frequently discussed in YA but the formation of her character gave off the completely wrong message and in the end that’s what made me finish this book feeling put off by it. ( )
  caffeinatedreads | Jun 18, 2018 |
Pretty good book. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
Je suis assise sur la cuvette au Club 9:30, à me demander comment pissent les sirènes.

Avoiding relationships to protect her sensitive heart, plus-sized Molly supports her once-cynical twin, Cassie, when the latter has her own bout of lovesickness, a situation that is complicated by sibling dynamics and an unexpected romantic triangle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible