The Secret History of Twin Peaks: A Novel by…

The Secret History of Twin Peaks: A Novel

by Mark Frost

What can I say about Twin Peaks that hasn't already been said?

This book bridges the gap between S2 and S3 (The Return) of the show. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet seen the first two seasons, but would recommend it to anyone who had yet to see The Return. It answers some questions, and raises more mysteries. It fills in many blanks that existed within the first two seasons and colors them a new shade that I didn't entirely expect. The focus, as the title implies, is upon the town of Twin Peaks itself. It will march you through extraterrestrial (or is it extradimensional) life, through Majestic 12 and Thelema, and any number of other mysteries. Between these pages are conspiracy theories galore, and this book is indeed a far better bit of X-Files mythos than the mythos episodes of that show ever offered us.

And still, there's more.

The opening of the book defines firmly the difference between a mystery and a secret. A secret is something kept malevolently in many cases, it is omitted information willfully withheld that often does harm. A mystery, though, a mystery invites speculation and wonder - it enriches life through its contemplation and brings back to us a sense of childlike curiosity. This book engenders mystery, and I'll be contemplating it for some time to come.

I can't wait for the next one to come out soon. I'm counting the days! ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Que coisa linda esse livro, tanto em conteúdo quanto esteticamente. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
Note: I've seen the series, but haven't watched Fire Walk With Me yet, nor have I read any other Twin Peaks related book, so I can't really comment on canon inconsistencies (though it wouldn't surprise me if they were intentionally done for unreliable narrator purposes).

From the title, you'd perhaps expect a history of the town itself. That's partially there, definitely. Maybe you'd expect a bit about the surrounding area, which is also present, nicely weaving supernatural fiction into historical fact like a gap in the Lewis & Clark expedition's logs (and Lewis's subsequent mysterious death) and Chief Joseph's attempt to take the Nez Perce to Canada. But, there's also quite a bit of alternative history re: other famous mysterious occurrences including Roswell and Nixon which has slightly less to do with the town and more the unexpected adventures of a side character.

Perhaps a better title would be The Life and Times of Doug Milford? Other older characters are explored (especially as history of town families), but it does seem to mostly be the Doug Milford exploring weird stuff show.

On a graphics standpoint, this book is beautiful. I love the partial dust jacket (which naturally obscures the owl on the cloth cover. The footnotes (sidenotes?) by Special Agent T.P. remind me a bit of House of Leaves, especially as our commentator gets slightly less objective while commenting on a commentator. Excellent use of some subtle things that make me wonder if that's an actual typewriter quirk from I989, an actual clue, or a quirk of the dossier's author.

Overall, an excellent tie-in to an existing piece of media. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
The best thing about "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" is how the author mixed in real, historical people and events into the history of this make-believe TV town. You don't have to be a "Twin Peaks" fanatic to enjoy this book, but if you are--it is a hoot. Every conspiracy theory you've ever pondered about aliens, Roswell, the Kennedy Assassination, Men in Black, Freemasons and the Illuminati is there.

I found myself looking up historical persons and events as I read to find out what the real story was and surprisingly found out that, yes, Merriweather Lewis (of the Lewis and Clark expedition) did either commit suicide or was murdered--the jury is still out--and he had had interesting encounters around the area where Twin Peaks supposedly is located, and, yes, several of our presidents were Freemasons and had very shady people around them, and, yes, Woody Harrelson's (the actor) estranged father was a hitman and claimed to have assassinated JFKennedy! The stories go on and on making the Twin Peaks TV show just the tip of the iceberg. You also learned more about the backgrounds and relationships of various characters from the original show and the latest incarnation of it, which explain some things while leaving a lot still to be explored. Fun stuff! ( )
  Marse | Dec 8, 2017 |
The ‘Old South Africa’ was not a culture known for pushing the envelope when it come to new forms of TV drama – or anything else new and controversial, come to that.

Nevertheless, Twin Peaks – the weird TV series by David Lynch and Mark Frost – aired in 1991, and we were introduced to the town of Twin Peaks, the murder of Laura Palmer, and the cultish strangeness surrounding the killing.

In 2016, 25 years after the series was aired, Lynch and Frost have collaborated on another season, and writer Frost has brought out a book, a collection of FBI documents, photographs, letters, newspaper clippings, and transcription, which may - or may not – elucidate the new series.

Pretty damn good, as Special Agent Cooper might say. ( )
  adpaton | Aug 10, 2017 |

"From the co-creator of the landmark series, the story millions of fans have been waiting to get their hands on for 25 long years. The Secret History of Twin Peaks enlarges the world of the original series, placing the unexplained phenomena that unfolded there into a vastly layered, wide-ranging history, beginning with the journals of Lewis and Clark and ending with the shocking events that closed the finale."--provided by Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible