Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories by…

Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories

by Mariana Enriquez

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ho-ly, shiiiiiiit. Anyone going into this book should know first and foremost that this book has several very creepy and flippantly morbid areas (some involving children) set against a depressing background. I went into it completely blind and it all crept up on me; the further into the book I got, the more disturbing the stories.

Some stories were meh, some slightly creepy, and some very disturbing. It's an offbeat approach that the author, Mariana Enriquez, uses. All of the stories are set in Argentina; most begin innocuously enough before veering off into nightmarish territory. Adding to the haunting atmosphere is the fact that the stories often hint at, instead of explicitly explaining, the atrocities that have scarred Argentina in the past as well as the vestiges of corruption that remain. Many of the stories are actually metaphors about Argentina's struggles, past and present.

Like I said, this book sort of crept up on me. Once I realized what it was all about I figured it would be all ghost stories and such but it's much more than that. I can't stop thinking about it, especially that last story (which the book is named for). Wow. ( )
  cosiari | Jul 3, 2017 |
These short stories were disturbing, in my opinion. They gave me a feeling of dread and at times I felt emotionally sick reading them. It was not my taste at all! But, they were very well written and that is not something I can deny. I also noticed how Enriquez was able to intertwine social issues into the stories even when the focus was on another topic. She is a great writer, so I'm not going to give this collection a low rating just because the subject matter wasn't my taste. Not this time anyway. ( )
  Derby_Lane | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Haunting and dark yet an engrossing collection of stories from Argentina. Don't be surprised if you find yourself double checking your windows and doors after reading. Well worth the read. ( )
  surlysal | Jun 24, 2017 |
These 12 short stories are all set in Argentina. Be warned – these stories often involve violence, sometimes towards children, and are often quite grotesque. But if you enjoy stories that leave you off balance and that are completely unique and unpredictable, then you’ll like this collection. The stories are very well written and are quite chilling. The first story, “The Dirty Kid”, literally made the hair on my arms stand up.

What I liked most about these stories was that she left most of the endings up to your imagination. Of course, you knew where she was heading with her tales and our imaginations don’t have to go too far in order to envision what happened. I think this made the stories seem more realistic. The world of Mariana Enriquez is a dark, violent one and I’m very glad I only visited it through her stories. And since it’s only through her stories, I’m hoping that more of her work will be translated to English. She’s a very talented author and has created a fictitious Argentinian world that highlights both its beauty and poverty and the hauntings left there by some of its tragic history.

Recommended to those who enjoy dark horror.

This book was given to me by the publisher through Blogging for Books in return for an honest review. ( )
  hubblegal | Jun 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A dark and sometimes macabre collection of stories set in Argentina reminiscent of Shirley Jackson. Descriptive, enthralling, and deeply human, Enriquez evokes a range of emotions from fear to suspense to sympathy and disgust. The author explores the underbelly of human nature with a variety of psychological and physical horrors. A wonderful collection from a Latin American author that is certainly not for the faint of heart. ( )
  rachelp1985 | Jun 6, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045149511X, Hardcover)

An arresting collection of short stories, reminiscent of Shirley Jackson and Julio Cortazar, by an exciting new international talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 06 Sep 2016 19:07:35 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mariana Enriquez's book Things We Lost in the Fire is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible