Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin

Fever Dream (2014)

by Samanta Schweblin

Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories by Mariana Enriquez (banjo123)
    banjo123: Both books made my skin crawl, in a good way. Both deal with environmental issues.

English (20)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (24)
Well... that was very weird.

Sparsely written, but the tension begins building from the start of this little book, and doesn’t let up. It really does read like a fever dream feels... all mixed up and confusing, and you know something terrible is coming and there’s no way to avoid it. Themes of pollution, poison, and maternal love, and the worry and terror over not being able to protect a child completely. Very dark and trippy. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Jul 3, 2018 |
A haunting and painful horror novel about the perils of environmental destruction and poisoning our earth and people, and mothers and the 'rescue distance.' Other themes include mono crops, urban vs rural, superstitions and old beliefs and modern medicine, fear and security, masculine and feminine worlds, truth and perceived truth and protection of loved ones. A seemingly simple story with complex undertones that is a brilliant and gripping read. ( )
  Tifi | Jun 30, 2018 |
This book made me cranky and depressed, which to be honest may have been the effect the author was going for, but makes it hard to recommend it.

I can see that it would be the right book for some readers. Alas, not the right book for me. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This review is also posted on my blog: http://debbiesbooknook.com/book-reviews.html

For a short story to be successful it must instantly grab the reader’s attention. At a mere 183 short pages, Fever Dream delivers! The novel was originally written in Spanish (Distancia del Rescate, 2014) by Samanta Schweblin and recently translated by Megan McDowell. The story begins with, “They’re like worms. What kind of worms? Like worms, all over. It’s the boy who’s talking, murmuring into my ear.” Did it grab your attention? Aren’t you curious about the worms? Fever Dream is a super-fast read that will accelerate your heartbeat and demand your complete attention. Penguin Random House describes it perfectly, “A young woman named Amanda lies dying in a rural hospital clinic. A boy named David sits beside her. She’s not his mother. He’s not her child. Together, they tell a haunting story of broken souls, toxins, and the power and desperation of family.” The short novel is eerie, gripping, multi-layered and shocking. Schweblin is a gifted writer full of originality and imagination. She definitely has my attention! I will keep her on my radar and check out her work in Spanish. From the talented Peruvian writer, Mario Vargas Llosa, “Samanta Schweblin is one of the most promising voices in modern literature.” ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
Extremely weird and unsettling. A scary reality depending on how you interpret the story. ( )
  Jolynne | Apr 11, 2018 |
For the first time in a long while, he looked down and saw his hands. If you have had this experience, you'll know just what I mean. -Jesse Ball, The Curfew
To my sister, Pamela
They're like worms.

“A wonderful nightmare of a book: tender and frightening, disturbing but compassionate. Fever Dream is a triumph of Schweblin’s outlandish imagination.”
–Juan Gábriel Vasquez, author of The Sound of Things Falling and Reputations

A young woman named Amanda lies dying in a rural hospital clinic. A boy named David sits beside her. She’s not his mother. He's not her child. Together, they tell a haunting story of broken souls, toxins, and the power and desperation of family.

Fever Dream is a nightmare come to life, a ghost story for the real world, a love story and a cautionary tale. One of the freshest new voices to come out of the Spanish language and translated into English for the first time, Samanta Schweblin creates an aura of strange psychological menace and otherworldly reality in this absorbing, unsettling, taut novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 27 Aug 2016 15:31:30 -0400)

"A young woman named Amanda lies dying in a rural hospital clinic. A boy named David sits beside her. She's not his mother. He's not her child. Together, they tell a haunting story of broken souls, toxins, and the power and desperation of family. Fever Dream is a nightmare come to life, a ghost story for the real world, a love story and a cautionary tale. One of the freshest new voices to come out of the Spanish language and translated into English for the first time, Samanta Schweblin creates an aura of strange psychological menace and otherworldly reality in this absorbing, unsettling, taut novel"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,097,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible