The Old Man by Thomas Perry

The Old Man (edition 2017)

by Thomas Perry (Author)

Member:Luciana43
Title:The Old Man
Authors:Thomas Perry (Author)
Info:Mysterious Press (2017), Edition: 1St Edition, 352 pages
Collections:2017
Tags:Fiction*

The Old Man by Thomas Perry

An interesting premise followed by a tedious middle game. ( )
  seasidereader | Jun 20, 2017 |
I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed in 'The Old Man', Thomas Perry's latest. For some reason, I'd never read him before, although he's written in my favorite genre for years. The Old Man seemed to be right up my alley, so I checked it out. It's OK, but there are way too many unlikely occurrences for it to seem very real to me.

The premise is interesting: an old guy (actually, 2 years younger than me, but still....) living quietly alone in New England with his 2 faithful dogs is actually an ex-spook who dropped off the grid years ago after he 'reclaimed' a bunch of money from a Libyan who was ripping off the US government. His efforts weren't 'approved', conditions changed, the US didn't want the money back, and he found himself in trouble. He successfully disappeared, created a new life for himself along with a number of alternative identities, invested the stolen money and made more, and waited for the inevitable to happen. He soon finds himself under siege by Libyan assassins and US government agents as he makes a run for it while changing identities. In actuality, he's the good guy, his goal is to return the money to the government and have everyone leave him alone, but the Libyans have revenge in mind and he stepped on too many US toes for that to happen.

At the risk of spoiling the plot, that's as far as I'll take the story line. I have significant problems with how it concluded, the writing was very pedestrian (of the 'generic thriller' variety), the dialogue was often wooden and unrealistic, and too much of the action didn't make very much sense to me. It wasn't a bad read, but I assume it wasn't Mr. Perry's best effort. ( )
  gmmartz | Mar 3, 2017 |
It's a masterpiece. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Mar 3, 2017 |
Most men have not spent decades on the run, but Dan Chase is not most men. And when someone wants him dead for something from his past, his survival instincts are sharp and his years of being prepared are all that stand between life and death.

With strong characterizations, a twisty, warp-speed plot, and two dogs readers can’t help but love, there is much to appreciate in this tale of a former intelligence officer whose choices have come back to haunt him. Despite the contrived feeling of landlady’s backstory, the building of tension as the chase continues will keep those pages turning. Some readers may the tale predictable but the telling of the tale from the perspective of the chased person adds a certain thrill to the narrative. ( )
  jfe16 | Jan 30, 2017 |
The master of the hunt-and-hide/hunt-and-evade suspense thriller returns.

Accusing Thomas Perry of writing too many of the same kind of book is like accusing Johann Sebastian Bach of writing too many cantatas (200+). When the quality is that high and even improves over time there is no downside. You simply enjoy the story and admire the craft.

Even in what can be viewed as a template formula, Perry still sets himself challenges that are outside of the box of the format. In this case, his hunted protagonist is a 60-year-old man, albeit one with military intelligence/special ops training in his past. The man's allies are his two dogs and a few unlikely partners he meets on the way (I'm being intentionally vague here so as not to release any spoilers). Due to circumstances outside of his control in the past the man has had to avoid the authorities and is even forced to go on the run at a late stage of his life. The opposition hunters are led by a younger version of himself who is ordered by nefarious forces to track the old man down. The set-up is in place and the game is afoot, so settle back and enjoy.

I've been critical of a few recent Thomas Perry novels e.g. "The Boyfriend" but generally his quality has always remained high e.g."Forty Thieves". With "The Old Man" I would go so far as to say he has written one of his best ever. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 15, 2017 |

Edgar Award-winning author Thomas Perry writes thrillers that move “almost faster than a speeding bullet” (Wall Street Journal). The Old Man is his latest whip-smart standalone novel.

To all appearances, Dan Chase is a harmless retiree in Vermont with two big mutts and a grown daughter he keeps in touch with by phone. But most sixty-year-old widowers don’t have multiple driver’s licenses, savings stockpiled in banks across the country, and a bugout kit with two Beretta Nanos stashed in the spare bedroom closet. Most have not spent decades on the run. Thirty-five years ago, as a young hotshot in army intelligence, Chase was sent to Libya to covertly assist a rebel army. When the plan turned sour, Chase reacted according to his own ideas of right and wrong, triggering consequences he could never have anticipated. And someone still wants him dead because of them. Just as he had begun to think himself finally safe, Chase must reawaken his survival instincts to contend with the history he has spent his adult life trying to escape. Armed mercenaries, spectacularly crashed cars, a precarious love interest, and an unforgettable chase scene through the snow—this is lethal plotting from one of the best in crime fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 20 Jul 2016 00:02:13 -0400)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,254,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible