Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Where the Dead Lie

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (12)

"In the latest mystery from the national bestselling author of When Falcons Fall, the horrific murder of a young boy takes Sebastian St. Cyr from the gritty streets of London to the lush drawing rooms of the aristocracy.."--

Several different characters involve Sebastian in solving the mystery of numerous murders of impoverished street children. With reference to the practices written by de Sade and others, this is not a novel for easily overset sensibilities. The author created some highly idiosyncratic supporting characters, which added depth and interest. Some convoluted scenarios were a bit contrived.

I dithered between 3½ ★s and 4. I settled for the 3½ because of a strictly personal preference for a novel to depend on good plot development and writing style, rather than catering to a liking for grisly murders with torture. The harsh abuse of defenceless children injected a macabre aspect that felt unnecessary for the story. While such abuses certainly must have an historical basis, I don't want to see it in fiction. Horror is thus added to my tag list. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Aug 19, 2020 |
As with previous installments in the series, Harris likes to bring the reader's focus to different societal aspects of the English time period, that usually involves London's underbelly. This time, the focus is on street urchins who find themselves forced to survive on their own when their parents die or are transported for crimes. As you can imagine, the dismissive attitudes of the elite members of society to the plight of these children is heart-wrenching (and a perfect subject for social reformer Hero's next article). Add to this the fact that Sebastian is on the hunt for a sadistic killer (or killers) who engage in despicable acts prior to killing their victims, and this becomes a rather disturbing read. The fact that Sebastian has a number of possible suspects, is great for the mystery as Sebastian allows his judgement to be clouded by his dislike for one of the suspects (who is to wed Sebastian's niece, no less!). Harris includes the now typical suspenseful moments I have come to expect from previous installments. You would think we could have one installment where someone isn't attempting to kill Sebastian - or harm someone in his household - but he does have a habit of brashly ruffling feathers of influential individuals who would rather he didn't stick his nose into their business, so I guess the attempts on his life will continue. The story closes off with further sad news about a reoccurring character that I will not go into here.

Overall, Yes, Harris continues to capture my attention with her intricate mysteries set in Regency England. Onward to the next installment! ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 24, 2020 |
WHERE THE DEAD LIE is book 12 in the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I have to admit that this series is one of my favorites, as I have read all twelve books in the series. So, I was quite overjoyed when I got the chance to reading this book a couple of months before it was released. So far, not a single book in this series disappointed me and I'm quite thrilled to be able to say that this book is actually the best one so far.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
This mystery series takes a dark turn in this installment, with Sebastian St. Cyr investigating a murderer who likes to sadistically torture his child-victims before killing them. Well-paced to keep the reader turning the pages and packed with distinctive characters, this book exemplifies what I love about this series - can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 19, 2018 |
Where the Dead Lie
5 Stars

After fighting in the Napoleanic Wars and solving several horrific murders, Sebastian St. Cyr should be familiar with the darkest depravity that human beings have to offer. But nothing has prepared him for the discovery that someone amongst the city's wealthy elite is preying on London's most vulnerable denizens, and committing some of the most brutal and sadistic crimes that Sebastian has ever seen.

Each installment in C.S. Harris's incredible Regency mystery series is better than the last and Where the Dead Lie is no exception. It should be noted, however, that the nature of this case with its child victims is notably darker and more disturbing than in previous books. Nevertheless, the descriptions are not overtly gruesome or graphic in detail.

Harris's realistic portrayal of the sordid underbelly of Regency London and the callousness with which the upper classes treat the poor and disenfranchised provides a gripping background to the horrific murders and Sebastian's quest to unmask the evil perpetrator, and seek justice for those whom society has forgotten.

While closure is provided for the main mystery, a couple of issues remain unresolved including what the future will bring for Sebastian's niece as well as the obviously nefarious machinations at work in the Jarvis household. It will be interesting to see how these plot points develop in the next book.

In terms of Sebastian's personal life, there are updates on his relationships with various family members, especially the Earl of Hendon, and the sweet scenes with Hero and baby Simon provide some much needed counterbalance to the harsh storyline.

Overall, a fast-paced page turner that is impossible to put down once you start. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

C. S. Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,770,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible