Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins by Jeff…

Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins

by Jeff Lemire, Dean Ormston (Illustrator)

I’m not a fan of superheroes but since this is by the great Jeff Lemire I had to read it, and I’m glad I did. It’s not your typical superhero story but instead an amazing mix of adventure, comic book history, satire, horror, mystery and tragedy. The artwork is fantastic too.

I loved it. Can’t wait for more! ( )
  EnidaV | Nov 21, 2018 |
This is a big homage to the entire history of DC Comics superhero, science fiction and horror comics with an emphasis on the '80s revisionism of Alan Moore and the Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot. Frankly, I was so distracted cracking all the easter eggs to really let myself get caught up in the story. (Oh, look, Captain Weird pairs a pun on the name of Adam Strange with the image of Alan Moore. Oh, Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson are name checked in the origin of Lemire's Swamp Thing avatar. Okay, Martian Manhunter's gay now, but does he still love Oreos? With the entire stable of DC heroes to draw upon, why would anyone bother to include the Al Pratt Atom?) Also it is hard to get caught up in a story that mostly consists of sad, dysfunctional people sitting around on a farm doing nothing much at all. As a giant DC fanboy of the '70s and '80s, I can see the appeal this book will have for middle-aged men, but will anyone under 40 get anything out of this? ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Pgs: 152
Dewey: 741.5973 BLA
Disposition: Irving Public Library - South Campus - Irving, TX

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The champions of Spiral City stood against the AntiGod and they won. But, the multiversal crisis resulted in their being trapped on a farm in a small town. They can’t get beyond the town’s edge. Here they stay, Abraham Slam, Golden Gail, Colonel Weird, Madame Dragonfly, and Barbalien. An idyllic, timeless place, but even here there are snakes in Eden, some closer than you would expect. They’ve tried to escape. They’ve failed, And tried again. They have tried to accept it. They try to fit in with the small town folk, some fit better than others.

Genre:
Comics
Graphic Novels
Dark Horse
Superheroes

Why this book:
Superheroes mixed with The Prisoner.

Favorite Character:

Least Favorite Character:
Abe is an asshole wanting those poor people to conform to his worldview in that extraordinary circumstance. Oh poor him. Pfft.

The Feel:
There is so much tension between the characters.

Favorite Scene / Quote:
The opening inside cover homage to the Justice League of America is awesome with these heroes unknown to us lying defeated by The Hammer. Nice stuff.

Breakfast is a cool scene. Dysfunctional family much.

The Gail and Barbalien story though. She’s 50-something trapped in a 9-year old’s body. And Barbalien is gay and has no clue that Gail harbors feelings beyond their friendship. It’s a juicy triangle, but it’s fraught with every messed up thing that people try to hang on gay men. And considering the flavor of this small town prison, when Barbalien comes out, it’s not going to go well. Like coming out in 1950s Smallville. Doubt Abe or Gail are going to take it in a supportive manner.

Pacing:
2/3rds of the way through and I finally have a suspect. But where is the Black Hammer. Two suspects actually.

Hmm Moments:
I wonder if everyone in this story is speaking in code. Or if some of it is exactly what it appears to be with some of it peeling the onion and working on a different level.

Meh / PFFT Moments:
Could’ve done with small town sheriff with an inferiority complex.

Missed Opportunity:
Really should have collected the entire arc. Leaving it with no closure, despite it’s awesomeness, is chickenshit.

Last Page Sound:
Didn’t see the twist coming. Not the character I thought was behind or involved in things. But I guess I could be off down the primrose path as well.

I would love to give this a better rating, but it’s only part of a story.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
glad I read it
_________________________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Jun 6, 2018 |
I'm always ready, willing, and able when it comes to Canadian author/illustrator Jeff Lemire. This is a twist on the usual superhero stories. This volume doesn't really have much of a plot but rather introduces us to the superhero team, their origin stories and how they got trapped in the little town they now reside in which may or may not be in our dimension. The plot revolves around the daily life the characters are now living with some bitterness and resentment. The book ends just as things get interesting, leaving us with a cliffhanger. I quite enjoyed this first volume. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 9, 2017 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ormston, DeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Once they were heroes, but the age of heroes has long since passed. Banished from existence by a multiversal crisis, the old champions of Spiral City--Abraham Slam, Golden Gail, Colonel Weird, Madame Dragonfly, and Barbalien--now lead simple lives in an idyllic, timeless farming village from which there is no escape! But as they employ all of their super abilities to free themselves from this strange purgatory, a mysterious stranger works to bring them back into action for one last adventure!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,517,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible