Fractured by Catherine McKenzie

Fractured

by Catherine McKenzie

After moving with her family across the country to Cincinnati to get away from a stalker, novelist Julie Prentice seems to click with her new neighbor, until a series of misunderstandings lead Julie and her family to become the victims of troubling harassment.

Fractured is the story of Julie Apple and the train wreck that her life has become since writing The Murder Game, which was actually penned by Catherine McKenzie under the pen name of Julie Apple. It's quite an angle.
Fractured is a story with a ton of dimension, although it took me awhile to see that, almost until the end in fact.
The beginning was right down confusing. Narration didn't just alternate between two character, but also time hopped, and I had a miserable time settling in. I am glad that I kept plugging along, however. As it turns out, Catherine McKenzie penned a book that shows the vulnerability of human nature. The choices that we make have consequences and what starts out as something that seems so innocent can change dozens of lives.
Julie moves into a neighborhood under a cloud of suspicion, and trouble brews, families are shaken, and it isn't entirely clear who exactly is causing these problems. The neighborhood is filled with odd, broken, and desperate people. Is it Julie, or is she just a victim herself? When the reader gets the answers there is a remarkable eye opener that rocked my world. Fractured may have started out as a confusing mess, but it ended up being one of the most thought provoking novels that I have read, and there was an important message that shined through the final sentence. ( )
  StephLaymon | Aug 12, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. The suspense had me on the edge of my seat for the last 40% of the book. The beginning took a bit to get moving, but sticking with the story was very rewarding as the pace picked up at the half way point of the book. I was questioning who and what was going on all the way to the end of the story and I had no clue up until the big reveal. I enjoyed the characters, even the ones that I wanted to throttle by the end of the book. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone and it is a solid 4 star read for me. Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book. ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Oh my gosh! This was such a good book! I read it in less than 48 hours. The twists and turns and slow reveal was fantastic. Julie Prentice has written her first book The Murder Game which has brought her huge fame. But it also has brought her a stalker that causes her family to have to move away and kind of go into hiding. But the street they move to is a little crazy. Or it's filled with a few crazy people. Cindy was a little cray-cray the way she appointed herself the head of the street sending out newsletters, making rules and banning people from the monthly block party. It seems like bad things follow Julie around. She becomes friends with neighbor across the street, John who becomes her running buddy. They both feel an attraction to each other. McKenzie does a great job of having all kinds of different personalities and showing how they can co-exist and not co-exist in the same neighborhood. There is a plot twist that I kept trying to figure out and never did until it was revealed with about 20 pages left to the book. Fantastic book and well worth the read.

I got this copy as being part of The Life of a Book Addict group. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Review originally published on my blog, Musings of a Bookish Kitty: http://www.literaryfeline.com/2016/10/bookish-thoughts-fractured-by-catherine.ht...

Fractured started out slow for me, one of those novels that creeps forward, seemingly innocent at first and yet you know it will not stay that way. Told in alternating viewpoints of bestselling crime novelist Julie Prentice and her neighbor John Dunbar and at varying times in the timeline, there is some foreshadowing and subtle reveals as the novel is unfolds.

Julie and her family moved to Cincinnati to get away from a stalker who had been harassing and terrorizing Julie since her novel was published. She hoped the quiet and quaint neighborhood of Mount Adams would be the ideal place to settle down again and work on her second novel. The reader gets the sense that Julie is on edge, and becoming even more so as the novel progresses. Just how reliable a narrator is she? Is she paranoid? Is she attention seeking? Is there really someone after her? Is it possible her stalker has found her? All of these questions come up when new incidents of harassment begin to disrupt Julie's life. It doesn't help that the neighborhood's "well meaning" and overly involved mother hen takes an instant dislike to Julie.

Neighbors John and Julie hit it off from the start. They both enjoy running and so take up running together in the mornings. John is a seemingly happily married man with two children. His wife is a successful prosecutor whose ire is raised when Julie is involved with an incident involving her son. It doesn't help that the John and Julie seem to spend a lot of time together, however innocent John claims it to be.

In many ways, Fractured is a study in marriage and family and how not everything is how it appears, even to those within the relationship. Both Julie and John appear to have strong relationships with their spouses, and yet, under the pressure of neighborhood gossip, growing tension, and real or perceived threats, we can see the cracks forming and growing. We see this in the relationships of other characters in the novel as well which ties into the overreaching themes in the novel.

Author Catherine McKenzie knows how to subtly build tension, teasing the readers with every page turned, revealing a little at a time. There is a lot going on under the surface. I do wish a couple of the threads had been more prominent, but ultimately, I think Fractured was a satisfying read. The novel was not turned out to be not quite what I expected. Overall, I found Fractured to be not only suspenseful, but another example of Catherine McKenzie's ability to tell a good layered story. ( )
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
Great read

I like the fact that it kept you guessing and bounced back and forth between 2 timelines. It really made you think. ( )
  veubanks | Aug 9, 2017 |

Catherine McKenzie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,115,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible