Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell by…

Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell

by Paul Kane

Other authors: Barbie Wilde (Introduction)

I received this book free from Netgalley and Solaris for a fair and honest review. Thank you!

Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell is a mashup of the Sherlock Holmes canon and Clive Barker’s Hellraiser. I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, and while I am familiar with the Hellraiser series, mainly through its cinematic incarnation, I haven’t, as yet, read any of Clive Barker’s work, so I unfortunately can only review the book from the view point of being a Sherlock Holmes fan. Starting the book I didn't quite know what to expect and was anticipating the usual mashup of two unrelated franchises, which when done well is a joy to read but when done poorly is an abomination. After just finishing reading this novel, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the former.

Paul Kane has masterfully merged the two literary works, keeping the spirit of the original Holmes stories intact. All of the things that make a great Sherlock Holmes story are here. Holmes’ methods of deduction, Watson’s concern for his friend and assisting him in his investigation, to referencing of some of the past cases the two have worked on together in the past. The use of Watson to describe the events in the book allows the author to describe the creatures, environments and psychological trauma experienced by Holmes and Watson, and never becomes flat or boring. All aspects of this book came across as well researched.

The narrative flows well through the book and I found myself wanting to find out what happened next and racing through the pages. This book is a must read for fans of either series. ( )
1 vote Arkrayder | Aug 13, 2016 |

Kane, PaulAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilde, BarbieIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Sherlock Holmes faces his greatest challenge yet when he meets the Cenobites, the infamous servants of hell. Late 1895, and Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion Dr John Watson are called upon to investigate a missing persons case. On the face of it, this seems like a mystery that Holmes might relish - as the person in question vanished from a locked room - and something to occupy him other than testing the limits of his mind and body. But this is just the start of an investigation that will draw the pair into contact with a shadowy organisation talked about in whispers and known only as 'The Order of the Gash'. As more and more people go missing in a similar fashion, the clues point to a sinister asylum in France and to the underworld of London. However, it is an altogether different underworld that Holmes will soon discover - as he finds himself face to face not only with those followers who do the Order's bidding on Earth, but those who serve it in Hell: the Cenobites...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,296,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible