Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Purple Hibiscus (original 2003; edition 2008)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2,3161102,729 (4)1 / 464
Member:pokarekareana
Title:Purple Hibiscus
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Info:HARPER PERENNIAL (2008), Paperback, 307 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Tags:Acquired in 2009/earlier, @2011

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2003)

English (102)  Finnish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (110)
This is either the second or third time I've read this book and I still love it. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
Kako je zivjeti u Nigeriji uz oca vjerskog fanatika, da li je bijeg kod tetke donio prozor u slobodu, kolika je cjena te slobode. Moze li purpurni hibiskus rasti svuda, moze li rasti u zatocenistvu. ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I thought this book was ok. I was hoping the author would give a little insight as to why the family patriarch behaved so badly toward his family. He was a kind and generous man to others but his fanatic attitude toward the catholic religion was so extreme, I was always wondering why. The main character, his daughter was rather lackluster and lost. I liked the ending and thought this was the part of the book that made the most sense. I would not recommend this book. ( )
  janismack | Mar 11, 2016 |
A brilliantly realised and moving story of a teenage girl in Nigeria coming to terms with her strictly Christian and abusive father in the context of Nigeria's struggle for a post-colonial identity. ( )
  bodachliath | Mar 1, 2016 |
I read all about the horrific civil war in Half of a Yellow Sun, but nothing in any of Adichie's books has been as hard for me to read as the religious and physical abuse in this one. I felt so sick to my stomach at times, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish it. But once I got a few chapters in—starting when Aunty Ifeoma was introduced, I think—I couldn't stop reading. I've loved all of Adichie's books so far, but this affected me much more personally than the others. I don't know if I've ever hoped so desperately for another character to go the direction I wanted them to go.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strömberg, RagnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Professor James Nwoye Adichie and Mrs. Grace Ifeoma Adichie, my parents, my heroes, ndi o ga-adili mma
Things started to fall apart at home when my brother, Jaja, did not go to communion and Papa flung his heavy missal across the room and broke the figurines on the etagere.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0007189885, Paperback)

Purple Hibiscus, Nigerian-born writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's debut, begins like many novels set in regions considered exotic by the western reader: the politics, climate, social customs, and, above all, food of Nigeria (balls of fufu rolled between the fingers, okpa bought from roadside vendors) unfold like the purple hibiscus of the title, rare and fascinating. But within a few pages, these details, however vividly rendered, melt into the background of a larger, more compelling story of a joyless family. Fifteen-year-old Kambili is the dutiful and self-effacing daughter of a rich man, a religious fanatic and domestic tyrant whose public image is of a politically courageous newspaper publisher and philanthropist. No one in Papa's ancestral village, where he is titled "Omelora" (One Who Does For the Community), knows why Kambili¹s brother cannot move one of his fingers, nor why her mother keeps losing her pregnancies. When a widowed aunt takes an interest in Kambili, her family begins to unravel and re-form itself in unpredictable ways. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

In the city of Egunu, Nigeria, fifteen year-old Kambili and her older brother Jaja lead a somewhat cloistered life. Their father is a wealthy businessman, they live in a beautiful home, and attend private school. But, through Kambili's eyes, we see that their home life is anything but harmonious. Her father, a fanatically religious man has impossible expectations of his children and his wife, and if things don't go his way he becomes physically abusive. Not until Kambili and Jaja are sent away from home for the very first time to visit their loving aunt, does Kambili's world begin to blossom. But when a military coup threatens to destroy the country, the tension in her family's home escalates, and Kambili must find the strength to keep her loved ones together.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible