Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Purple Hibiscus (original 2003; edition 2008)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2,4041162,586 (4.01)1 / 468
Title:Purple Hibiscus
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Info:HARPER PERENNIAL (2008), Paperback, 307 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Tags:Acquired in 2009/earlier, @2011

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2003)

English (108)  Finnish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (116)
I finished listening to this book this afternoon. I want to sit with it in my head for a while. It is a powerful book full of universal themes that disregard borders. Told with the voice of a 15 year old girl living in a house of wealth and tones of white - the book is about calculated brutality and uncontrolled rage from a beloved parent. It is the conflict of pride and fear.

I am a fan of Adichie's work. This is the least African of her novels because it is about a family that could live any where, the setting of Nigeria truly matters in only the last chapters of the book. Then again, it is also the most African of her books. The failures, whether the head of state or head of the family, bring growth and maturity. The family can serve as an analogy for the community and the youth of African democracy/self-rule.

The narration is fabulous by Lisette Lecat. Her reading is slow and full of emotion. She captures the shy hesitancy of our story teller.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Oct 17, 2016 |
Fabulous ( )
  ibkennedy | Jul 23, 2016 |
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is like Mary Poppins: practically perfect in every way. I have yet to read anything of hers that doesn't strike me right to the heart. I don't really have much else to say. In my eyes, she can do no wrong. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
Tough book to read - domestic violence, religious fanaticism, tribal customs, military coups, and class disparities. Fifteen-year-old Kambili’s father is a religious zealot who beats his wife and children mercilessly for being sinful or disobedient and causes his wife to suffer countless miscarriages. Meanwhile, he pays for poor children's education, helps his workers survive rough times, and speaks out against the dictatorship. The abuse and domestic violence in the name of religion is extremely disturbing but we never learn why he’s such a fanatic. The story is compelling but Adiche’s writing feels a bit sophomoric, maybe because this was her first book. It reads like a YA novel and is in fact used widely with accompanying study guides in schools. It also felt very slow in parts, with the abusive household scenes dragging on, but almost lacking in emotion. Adiche could have given us more insight into how each person felt and what they wanted in life. But then, the abrupt ending happens with an unexpected outburst of rage and revenge that feels contrived given the character development throughout the story. A small pet peeve: the use of Igbo words and phrases throughout the book was distracting and didn’t really serve a purpose. ( )
  sushitori | Jun 4, 2016 |
Η Αφρική από μια διαφορετική ματιά από αυτή που έχ​ουμε συνηθίσει να βλέπουμε ή να αδιαφορούμε επιδει​κτικά. Ένα πανέμορφο μυθιστόρημα!​ ( )
  GeorgiaKo | May 27, 2016 |

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strömberg, RagnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Professor James Nwoye Adichie and Mrs. Grace Ifeoma Adichie, my parents, my heroes, ndi o ga-adili mma
Things started to fall apart at home when my brother, Jaja, did not go to communion and Papa flung his heavy missal across the room and broke the figurines on the etagere.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0007189885, Paperback)

Purple Hibiscus, Nigerian-born writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's debut, begins like many novels set in regions considered exotic by the western reader: the politics, climate, social customs, and, above all, food of Nigeria (balls of fufu rolled between the fingers, okpa bought from roadside vendors) unfold like the purple hibiscus of the title, rare and fascinating. But within a few pages, these details, however vividly rendered, melt into the background of a larger, more compelling story of a joyless family. Fifteen-year-old Kambili is the dutiful and self-effacing daughter of a rich man, a religious fanatic and domestic tyrant whose public image is of a politically courageous newspaper publisher and philanthropist. No one in Papa's ancestral village, where he is titled "Omelora" (One Who Does For the Community), knows why Kambili¹s brother cannot move one of his fingers, nor why her mother keeps losing her pregnancies. When a widowed aunt takes an interest in Kambili, her family begins to unravel and re-form itself in unpredictable ways. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

In the city of Egunu, Nigeria, fifteen year-old Kambili and her older brother Jaja lead a somewhat cloistered life. Their father is a wealthy businessman, they live in a beautiful home, and attend private school. But, through Kambili's eyes, we see that their home life is anything but harmonious. Her father, a fanatically religious man has impossible expectations of his children and his wife, and if things don't go his way he becomes physically abusive. Not until Kambili and Jaja are sent away from home for the very first time to visit their loving aunt, does Kambili's world begin to blossom. But when a military coup threatens to destroy the country, the tension in her family's home escalates, and Kambili must find the strength to keep her loved ones together.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,792,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible