Toward a Secret Sky (Blink) by Heather…

Toward a Secret Sky (Blink)

by Heather Maclean

4.5 stars...Could have done without her fantasies on every page. ( )
  EmpressReece | Mar 9, 2018 |
Maren’s mother has died and with her father long dead she’s shipped off to Scotland to live with her father’s parents whom she’s never met before. When she gets there she meets a spunky girl named Jo, a really hot guy named Gavin and a rich kid named Graham. Something else that reaches her in this new land is a box of her mothers items which included a necklace, some cryptic notes and a warning from her mother to not trust anyone. Soon Maren is introduced to The Abbey a society formed to fight the forces of evil. And she discovers that the ridiculously delicious guy of her dreams is an angel, explaining why he’s got her so entranced.
Oh boy, I had to seriously force myself to finish this one. I chalk it up to the campy teenager writing. It felt like reading a twilight fanfic. I was kind of disappointed.
Like this on page 12:
”I was kissing the hottest guy ever. He was so hot, even his hair was red. We were lounging in the long grass, kissing deeply, like it was our new way of breathing.
“It was hot outside, and the kissing was making me even hotter. Everywhere he touched me, my skin burned. I’d never kissed anyone before, and certainly not like this.”
there’s another two paragraphs of badly described passion. I was laughing you guys, I should be wagging my eyebrows or at the very least smirking seductively while I lived vicariously through Maren as she was kissing said hot guy.
Every time I had to read about how hot Maren thought Gavin was I was ready to burn the book. I get the explanation it gave for the instalove but it somehow made the fact the whole thing had to be explained worse. Oh and their first kiss was literally a paragraph long. Described as a blink or you’ll miss it moment.
I should’ve known this book wasn’t going to be for me the second I opened it up and saw a big font being used. The story takes up 378 pages, I should’ve spent an entire evening reading it but before I knew it I finally reached the ending. I had to force myself to finish yet it was a quicker read than I had thought. THE LENGTH OF THE STORY FELT LONG BECAUSE THE BOOK IS SO BULKY. I was not pleased, hence the half star rating.
I feel bad for the author because she obviously wanted to create someone a little braver than Bella Swan but it just didn’t happen. Sure Maren was actually tasked with something important but she was just as bland and just as plain. Her introduction to Gavin was really boring and if I remember correctly it was almost the same as Bella and Ed’s first conversation. But hey at least Maren actually had friends before they were killed off, its not a spoiler since its literally on the back of the book cover. Ugh the freaking epilogue is on the back of the the book jacket. While it may be just what Stephanie Meyer fans are looking for I’m kicking myself for not realizing (aka reading other summaries that said the very same thing) this fact before I bought the book.
but it had such a pretty cover she whispers as she tosses the disappointing book into the donate pile. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jan 17, 2018 |
I could tell from page one the type of book it was.... lots of insta-love between the two main characters...Ended up scan-reading it. ( )
  DeborahJade | Dec 25, 2017 |
Review to come. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Apr 8, 2017 |
Toward a Secret Sky was a like-dislike book for me. What originally excited me about this book was that the main character, Maren Hamilton, was ignorant to the fact that her parents were spies until she was sent her mother’s encrypted journal. Then throw in labyrinths, booby-trapped crypts and romance and I was desperately looking forward to this book! It just did not pan out the way I wanted it to.

Let’s start with the “like” part of this book. I liked the story being set in Scotland and I enjoyed how the author took the time to develop the setting. Although I am now permanently turned off to Scottish food 😏, kidding. The idea of a secret organization tasked with finding humans that have special talents to team up with angels was unique. There were also demons which gave it a nice good versus evil conflict. The pacing of the story was fast and had mysterious elements that kept my interest. There was also a DiVinci code vibe to this book that was most enjoyable.

Now the “dislike,” so much could have been done with the entire angel-human collaboration but it was killed by insta-love. The plot was moving along nicely then it became all about the attraction and all the cool stuff was smothered by ridiculous dialogue about said attraction. Normally I am not a hater of instant attraction but there was no basis for the attraction. The angst of it all – don’t like me, I can’t like you, we can’t be but I love you. The attraction was not built upon anything. I did not get the Gavin-Maren connection. Their interactions and swooning for each other just made my eyes roll. Unfortunately, it also did not improve as the story went on.

What I wish was that the story would have focused on Maren and the secret society angle. Then build up the smolder between her and Gavin. A nice smolder would have gone far in building the attraction between these characters. It would have given a real yearning to see their relationship develop in the next book in this series. I am assuming that this book is going to be a series as it is left with a cliffhanger which does promise some interesting times. Anyhow, I wanted to love this story, I really did, but the romance angle between the two main characters was so overdone that it overshadowed the part of the story that I did enjoy.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Mar 30, 2017 |
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet" - Rumi
To my childhood heroes: librarians. Docents of the public domain who regularly rescued me from my own small world and sent me on countless adventures.
I was okay until they started lowering my mom's casket into the ground.

Toward a Secret Sky by New York Times bestselling author Heather Maclean is a new breed of YA novel: an intelligent adventure-quest crossed with a sweeping, forbidden love story. A mix of reality and possibility, this fast-paced thriller will appeal to fans of Stephenie Meyer and Dan Brown as it leads the reader on a breathless flight through the highlands of Scotland, the secret city under London, and history itself.

Shortly after 17-year-old Maren Hamilton is orphaned and sent to live with grandparents she’s never met in Scotland, she receives an encrypted journal from her dead mother that makes her and everyone around her a target. It confirms that her parents were employed by a secret, international organization that’s now intent on recruiting her. As Maren works to unravel the clues left behind by her mother, a murderous madness sweeps through the local population, terrorizing her small town. Maren must decide if she’ll continue her parents’ fight or stay behind to save her friends.

With the help of Gavin, an otherworldly mercenary she’s not supposed to fall in love with, and Graham, a charming aristocrat who is entranced with her, Maren races against the clock and around the country from palatial estates with twisted labyrinths to famous cathedrals with booby-trapped subterranean crypts to stay ahead of the enemy and find a cure. Along the way, she discovers the great truth of love: that laying down your life for another isn’t as hard as watching them sacrifice everything for you.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:58:13 -0400)

Shortly after 17-year-old Maren Hamilton is orphaned and sent to live with grandparents she's never met in Scotland, she receives an encrypted journal from her dead mother that makes her and everyone around her a target. It confirms that her parents were employed by a secret, international organization that's now intent on recruiting her. As Maren works to unravel the clues left behind by her mother, a murderous madness sweeps through the local population, terrorizing her small town. Maren must decide if she'll continue her parents' fight or stay behind to save her friends. With the help of Gavin, an otherworldly mercenary she's not supposed to fall in love with, and Graham, a charming aristocrat who is entranced with her, Maren races against the clock and around the country from palatial estates with twisted labyrinths to famous cathedrals with booby-trapped subterranean crypts to stay ahead of the enemy and find a cure. Along the way, she discovers the great truth of love: that laying down your life for another isn't as hard as watching them sacrifice everything for you.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,818,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible