Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle…

Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team (edition 2017)

by Steve Sheinkin (Author)

Member:Mrs.Jacobs
Title:Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team
Authors:Steve Sheinkin (Author)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2017), Edition: 1st, 288 pages
Collections:Battle of the Books Covers, New Books

Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team by Steve Sheinkin

Steve Sheinkin is a great nonfiction writer for young adult readers. He has written several other favorites like Bomb, The Port Chicago 50 and Most Dangerous. If kids get interested in this book, they would most likely want to explore the other titles as well. I chose this book because I wanted to learn more about the origins of football and I also don't know much about Jim Thorpe. What I really appreciate most is Sheinkin's frank writing style; even though he is a white male, he is harshly critical of the policies enacted, especially those that stole land from Native Americans, thus presenting a representative history. This book bounces back and forth around the story of Jim Thorpe's life, a brief history of the disenfranchisement of Native tribes, a history of football and also the life of Pop Warner who would become Thorpe's coach. The chapters are fast-moving and Sheinkin summarizes history effectively so as to not bog down the text. The book is engaging in its description of football's very violent beginnings (players regularly punched each other in the face repeatedly, wore no protection and even died). It is also a compelling tale about the impact of Indian Boarding Schools and their effect on young Native Americans who suffered through them. I imagine this book would appeal to kids who like nonfiction as-is and it would be a great discussion book because of the many deep questions it raises.
  claireelam | Jul 22, 2018 |
A great American sport and Native American history come together in this true story of how Jim Thorpe and Pop Warner created the legendary Carlisle Indians football team.
  tartanlibrary | May 22, 2018 |
I initially intended to rate this book 4 stars because I wanted a more in-depth story of the suffering of thousands of Native Peoples that took place at Carlisle Indian School and other schools like it. I wanted more on that history rather than Pop Warner and Eisenhower. But in the end, the final chapter the author touched on this and many issues that still exist today so I decided to give this the five stars that it deserves. After all, it is a book about Jim Thorpe and the athleticism that was shown by the early football players of Carlisle and their contribution to what is today’s football. It is a history lesson about an unrecognized group of Native men that, as usual, has gone unrecognized by American Society.
I hope millions read this book and realize what true honor, respect, and pride truly is. It is not the name of a certain Washington D.C. team. v ( )
  Jolynne | Mar 20, 2018 |
Narrated by Mark Bramhall. Before and after Jim Thorpe became an Olympic champion in track, he had a storied career in college football playing for the Carlisle Indian Industrial School under coach Pop Warner. Clearly the original “Beast Mode,” Thorpe played offense and defense in the same game, blowing through tackles, virtually untouchable by the defense. He was part of the innovations and changes in the sport that we have come to know today such as the passing game and drop kick. Without football, Thorpe was somewhat aimless. Academics did not interest him, he tried playing baseball, and did farm work. Controversy over being paid to play baseball while still active with college football ended up in his Olympic medals being revoked. Mark Bramhall reads this non-fiction narrative in a straightforward and engaging tone, with even pacing and deliberate speed. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 26, 2018 |
A non-fiction selection, this novel is about how football evolved, focusing on the early years.

Have you ever heard of Pop Warner? Kids have played Pop Warner football for generations. He was the coach of the famous Carlisle Indian School football team. His most famous player was Jim Thorpe, considered by many to be the greatest athlete. The novel tells how football began. It was crazy violent, which meant that it wasn’t unusual for people to die on the field. They pushed and slugged their way downfield. There wasn’t a passing game; it didn’t exist as part of the game. When it was finally introduced to football, there was a 15-yard penalty if you didn’t catch the ball. Most rules that came about in football are because of Pop Warner who was brilliant at coming up with new plays so that other teams never knew what to expect. Often these daring moves made it into the football rules the next year--as plays that were against the rules.

The novel follows Pop and Jim as football develops. There were only a few college teams. Pop eventually became coach of Clemson but wanted to coach at the Indian school to have more freedom. Jim Thorpe was growing up while the Carlisle Indian school was becoming famous, allowing the reader to see their destined meeting. The Carlisle Indian school’s purpose was to make the Indian more “civilized.” They taught the students the “white” way so that they could be successful. They were required to cut their hair and dress “normally.” They were expected to always show respect and never act as people expected--savage. Therefore, on the football field, they could be treated with great disrespect, but they always were expected to show gentlemanly behavior and disprove the stereotype. When Jim arrives at Carlisle, Pop Warner has a great team that can defeat the big college teams.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and I’m indifferent to football. Jim Thorpe was such an amazing athlete that he could try something and be better than someone who trained in that sport, especially track events. I had always heard of Pop Warner football, but I had no idea who he was. It’s well worth your time to learn about the abuse Indians underwent at the government’s indifference yet see how amazing these Native Americans contributed to history. If you like football at all, this book is a MUST. ( )
  acargile | Feb 16, 2018 |

"A great American sport and Native American history come together in this true story of how Jim Thorpe and Pop Warner created the legendary Carlisle Indians football team"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,509,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible