Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In all honesty, I can't write a review because I couldn't finish the book, the worst thing about this book is that it is boring. It's written both in the past and present, full of cliches, and there is no continuity. For example, the main character is wearing designer jeans and carrying a shoulder bag. In the next paragraph, she is somehow wearing khakis and finding her own hands resting on her clutch purse.

This book needs to be edited for content, and clarity. ( )
  Kiera_loves_books | Jul 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is basically unreadable. The author's insistence on writing the entire book in the present tense is both distracting and dismaying. Beyond that, the main character--a ruthless drug dealer with no redeeming qualities whatsoever--is completely unappealing, as are the members of her gang.

I got through about a third of it (100 pages) and just couldn't go on any longer.

Thank you to LibraryThing for the opportunity, but this was a big disappointment. ( )
  WalnutBaron | Jul 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was hopeful about this book, I could not get into the story and put it down, picked it up again and could not finish it. It was predictable and formulaic. Thank you to library thing for the advance copy.
  racahel | Jul 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sorry I just could not finish this book. Not only did it not hold my interest at all it was so disjointed, so confusing that I believe at one point one character was swapped for another. Bizarre ( )
  Bauernfeind | Jul 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really feel bad but I just could not get into this book. I'm not really sure why, don't know if it was the characters, the style, or subject matter, maybe the fact
that it's written in the third person, but I just couldn't get very far.
I don't want to dissuade anyone else from reading it, obviously lots of other people enjoyed it. ( )
  Mantra | Jul 5, 2017 |

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman who combines the genius and ferocity of Lisbeth Salander with the ruthless ambition of Walter White

The Crenshaw Six are a small but up-and-coming gang in South Central LA who have recently been drawn into an escalating war between rival drug cartels. To outsiders, the Crenshaw Six appear to be led by a man named Garcia . . . but what no one has figured out is that the gang's real leader (and secret weapon) is Garcia's girlfriend, a brilliant young woman named Lola. Lola has mastered playing the role of submissive girlfriend, and in the man's world she inhabits she is consistently underestimated. But in truth she is much, much smarter--and in many ways tougher and more ruthless--than any of the men around her, and as the gang is increasingly sucked into a world of high-stakes betrayal and brutal violence, her skills and leadership become their only hope of survival.

Lola marks the debut of a hugely exciting new thriller writer, and of a singular, magnificent character unlike anyone else in fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 06 Sep 2016 22:35:32 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Melissa Scrivner Love's book Lola is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible