The end of Oz by Danielle Paige

The end of Oz (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Danielle Paige

1619105,494 (3.84)5
Member:agneson9
Title:The end of Oz
Authors:Danielle Paige
Info:New York : Harper, 2017.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grp-fiction, for-chi-ya, grp-sff, series

The End of Oz by Danielle Paige (2017)

THE END OF OZ picks up right where YELLOW BRICK WAR left off. We find Amy, Nox, and Madison flying on the Yellow Brick Road to… somewhere. When the road dumps them in the land of Ev, Amy has to forge new alliances, navigate her strained relationship with Madison, and maybe, finally, kill Dorothy.

I loved the first and second book of this series, was a little underwhelmed by the third, and had high hopes for the fourth. It’s not that it’s a terrible book, I just think I expected more out of it than was actually delivered. Danielle Paige is a beautiful, sweet person but it felt like she was little bored of her own story by the end of this book.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the book. Amy is one of my favorite book heroines. I love the fact that Paige talks about poverty and addiction in her books and how it impacted Amy’s life and the way she views things even in Oz. I was also pleasantly surprised that Amy and Madison have an actual conversation about why Madison was so awful to Amy- and that Amy didn’t let Madison weasel out of not explaining herself.

I enjoyed the progression of Amy and Nox’s relationship. It was 3 books coming and I loved seeing their ending.

But the book ending? Woo, boy. While I can appreciate the ending with Dorothy, the rest of it felt like a cheap copout. And I have so many unanswered questions. Which makes me wonder… is this really the end of Oz? Paige definitely left the door wide open for another book but I’m not sure my love for Oz could survive another one.

Again, it’s not a terrible book. Just go in expecting some fairly good scenes with a lot of ‘eh’ in between. ( )
  DearRosieDear | Mar 22, 2018 |
A fitting conclusion - I'm glad this is the end of the series though. The series has its moments, but at times got too YA-y for my liking. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
At first, I was very satisfied by the ending of this. There are quite a few YA series out there that try to preserve the innocence of the heroine by taking self-determination out of their hands and disallowing them to confront/kill the big bad. This allowed Amy to retain her (relative) innocence WITHOUT taking Dorothy's defeat away from her. Awesomesauce! And then in the great will-they/won't-they relationship BS with her and Nox she made the anti-relationship choice (another first for YA!!!)...and then everything with that was thrown out the window. And in he major Oz=Home/Kansas=Home debate, Amy made the unexpected, less fantasy choice and it was great...until, once again, the great writer of words decided "You know what? Fuck it. Amy gets everything. She gets her mom AND Nox. She get Kansas AND Oz." Fuck that. There need to be REAL choices and REAL consequences to choices. Yeah, you get your happy ending, perfectly wrapped up with the pretty little bow, but it's NOT satisfying. It's lame and masturbatory. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 14, 2018 |
A great way to wrap up this series. I found this book had great pacing; the momentum of the plot was always moving forward so it didn't drag like the other novels did at times. ( )
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Though I felt that the entire series was a great idea and the first book really set a great tone of a twisted take on the original story. The other three books started a downward spiral of what was a dark and horrifying great tale , into a typical YA romance filled story. Not excited about how it finished !! ( )
  MrNattania | Jan 26, 2018 |
To my beautiful Munchkins, thank you for following the Road of Yellow Brick with me.

to my family, Mommy, Daddy, Andrea, Josh, Sienna, and Fi, for paving the road with love...

And to Faith Vincent, somewhere over the rainbow...
The first time I flew, it was under bvry different circumstances.

In this dark, action-packed fourth book in the New York Times bestselling Dorothy Must Die series, Amy Gumm travels from Oz to the twisted land of Ev, where she fights to free Oz from evil once and for all.

My name is Amy Gumm. You might remember me as the other girl from Kansas. When a tornado swept me away to the magical land of Oz, I was given a mission: Dorothy must die. That’s right, everyone’s favorite Wicked-Witch-slayer had let the magic of Oz corrupt her. She turned evil. So I killed her.

But just when we thought it was safe to start rebuilding the damaged land of Oz, we were betrayed. Now I’m following the Road of Yellow Brick as it helps me escape toward the mysterious land of Ev, where the Nome King rules a bleak and angry world. And what I’m about to find is shocking: My original mission may not have been successful.

I thought my job was over, but it’s only just beginning. And it’s up to me to foil Dorothy’s plans for revenge—and finally save the land I’ve come to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 05 Aug 2016 07:54:33 -0400)

Dorothy Gale was buried when the Emerald Palace crashed to the ground; Ozma has been restored to the throne. But girls from Kansas are harder to kill than you'd think. Now Amy Gumm is following the Road of Yellow Brick toward the mysterious land of Ev, where the Nome King rules a bleak and angry world. Surprise! He has a gingham-clad bride. And the line between Good and Wicked is blurring.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible