Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

Ice Station (1998)

by Matthew Reilly

Recently added byprivate library, Petulisa, PdRLibrary, Davidpacker1234, Ingo.Lembcke

Should finish more books before starting new ones. Oh well, my mistake.
Fast paced, very interesting page-turner. Warning: has no real chapters, that makes it hard to stop. As some scenes are very long, like the fight scene between the two elite-units this could lead to reading this in one sleepless night, so beware - it is too long for that, per the Kindle-display of left reading time, I think it was just over 10 hours after it has adjusted to my reading speed. And it feels that way.
So far this reminds me of some authors I read a lot during my teens, like [a:Alistair MacLean|26970|Alistair MacLean|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1238207294p2/26970.jpg] and [a:Colin Forbes|243122|Colin Forbes|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1314265930p2/243122.jpg].
But is up-to-date with the tech described.
The fight-scenes are great, but they dominate the book, more or less non-stop-action and if I take a step back to see the big picture, there are too many fight-scenes, too long and while the body-count is very high, some lucky safes-escapes are too unbelievable.
The discovery, the reason for the fight scenes and the background, would so far fit on 20-30 pages. The book is long, and could have done with less fight scenes, and longer and more meat to the discovery.

So, now having finished it, a solid 3. Not too bad, if it had been shorter and/or less fight scenes, it would have got a 3.5, meaning it could be rounded to 4 stars depending on my mood.
Recommended as fast paced guilty pleasure, and I might check out the next books. The hero is better than the brutal torturer Scot Harvath in [a:Brad Thor|5088|Brad Thor|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1201288917p2/5088.jpg]'s series, although I will read more of that one, as I want to see how far Thor pushes the envelope. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Back on the roller coaster ride of Mr. Reilly’s thrillers, this one featuring “Scarecrow”. An isolated research station in Antartica and the discovery of an “alien” craft sets of a race for the current world superpowers to attain the knowledge available from alien intelligence. The lengths they will go to in order to acquire this knowledge is boundless. Although some of the scenarios in the book go well past the improbable that is what makes these books so appealing. If you are looking for an escape for a little while … Mr. Reilly definitely offers it. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Angus and Robertson Top 100 (2006 - 2008) Book #27.
The first book of the Scarecrow series, set at a research station in Antarctica. Incredibly fast paced and keeps you turning the pages and not wanting to put it down. I have read this one several times before, and now know what is going to happen before it happens, but I still love to read this book everytime! ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
I was on vacation, and I'd read all the books I brought with me. Fortunately, the resort had a take-one, leave-one reading collection. Unfortunately, this is what they had to offer.
After 70 pages of fifth-grade-level writing supporting a rickety framework of clunky exposition and generic bursts of action, I gave up. How could so much bloodshed and mayhem be so ho-hum boring? I guess that's an achievement of sorts.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
I do understand that fiction is fiction, but in order for it to be entertaining you kind have to feel you can believe just a little. I kind lost that ability the more I read.

So, Ok, this is what I thought I read:

American, English and the French Special Forces secretly killing one another over a suspected alien spacecraft that turns out to be a prototype plutonium military aircraft in an underground hanger lost because of a seismic mishap and now guarded by giant mutant seals who suddenly develop a craving for scientists and military personnel swimming around stupidly. There was also a very annoying habit of countries misplacing ice-stations and secret aircraft hangers in the Antarctic. All facilities (when stumbled on by Mr Scarecrow Schofield in his battle for survival) were fortunately in reasonable swimming distance in artic waters.

At first I was in complete awe of Schofield’s fighting, flying and swimming ability in artic conditions, but then it all became too repetitively stupid to remain entertaining. It is like Lord of Rings when Hobbit hiking around the Southern Alps of New Zealand becomes all too much to take anymore and Orcs battles that just go on and on….

ANYWAY: Best character: Wendy the little fur seal who has a good grasp of the NATO alliance and who were the good guys. Most politicians would have been confused given the nature and history of the treaty, but the little fur seal had it worked out pretty quickly. Stupidest moment: The giant mutant killer seal caught on camera lifting the unconscious "Scarecrow" out of the water. These seals had mutated around Richard Nixon’s reign but had never ventured to the Wilkes Station until the Navy Seals turned up looking to secure it from the French and the British.

Then there was the whole killer whale distraction which seemed only to serve the purpose of eating Mother’s leg at which point her character became useless to any significant plot line. The discovery of the list to identify who were internal secret killer agents was annoying in that it just kept producing bad guys to prevent an end to Mr Schofield’s woes. The fact that the scientist Sarah Hensleigh was such an agent meant that she could have done all the killing and shutting up of people before Schofield even got there saving a lot of lives. But then the killer whales and the mutant seals would have gone hungry and there would have been no-one to fly the plane out of the ice tunnel, which was just annoying in itself (i.e.: code cracked by brainy kid, plane starts first pop after 30 years, fortunately hovers while ice berg does a 180 flip to allow ice tunnel to go up rather than down, only to find aircraft carrier awaiting its unknown (but fortunately anticipated) arrival, only to be destroyed by its own missile while the crew went below and closed their eyes promising not to mention it to anyone…really?).

BEST DOROTHY MOMENT: Kirsty needed to be freed of the nasty step mother and she needed a Scarecrow and fur seal for that.

BEST LOOSE END EXPLAINED: Mother crawling with one leg to ice pool, finding a wet suit and a wire and deciding to take a punt on it leading somewhere away from a nuclear missile and as luck would have it..? At this point I had radiation sickness and the dry reaching began. Fortunately, I did not buy the book for $23.99 but found it discarded and alone… a bit like Mother must have felt in the Ice Station at the end of an old wire. ( )
  Pillrot | Jan 8, 2014 |
For Natalie
'Imagine, if you can, a continent that for one quarter of the year, doubles in size.

Wilkes Ice Station, a remote institution near the Antarctic coastline, is about to become the setting for a brutal conflict. When several of the station’s divers transmit reports of what appears to be an alien spacecraft buried in a subterranean cavern, only to be slaughtered minutes later, the USA sends in a team of twelve hardened Reconnaissance Marines. Their assignment: to protect the ship from enemy forces at all costs. As the greedy superpowers of the world grapple for control of the spacecraft, Lieutenant Shane Schofield, the team’s leader, must fight desperately for his life. What he doesn’t know is that his team was marked for death from the moment they accepted the assignment.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312971230, Mass Market Paperback)

Anarctica is the last unconquered continent, a murderous expanse of howling winds, blinding whiteouts and deadly crevasses. On one edge of Antarctica is Wilkes Station. Beneath Wilkes Station is the gate to hell itself...

A team of U.S. divers, exploring three thousand feet beneath the ice shelf has vanished. Sending out an SOS, Wilkes draws a rapid deployment team of Marines-and someone else...

First comes a horrific firefight. Then comes a plunge into a drowning pool filled with killer whales. Next comes the hard part, as a handful of survivors begin an electrifying, red-hot, non-stop battle of survival across the continent and against wave after wave of elite military assassins-who've all come for one thing: a secret buried deep beneath the ice...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

On Antarctica, special forces from several countries battle each other for control of what is believed to be an alien space ship buried in the ice. Non-stop action and treachery galore.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible