Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

Ice Station (1998)

by Matthew Reilly

I have really become a big Matthew Reilly fan. The only problem is that I need a large, uninterrupted reading period because once I start one of his books, I find it almost impossible to put it down. In "Ice Station" Shane Schofield, "Scarecrow", and his team are in Antarctica fighting killer whales, mutant elephant seals, and French and British military assassins. As usual, everything that can go wrong does, but Shane manages to save the day. Totally unbelievable, but such an action-packed, entertaining book that I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Am about to start the second book in the series. By the way, I want a Maghook for my birthday!!! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book introduces Lieutenant Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield. The story involves the response by a crack team of marines to a distress call from an Antarctic research station saying they have found a spaceship. Unfortunately they are not the only ones to pick up the signal.

This book is non-stop action from beginning to end. The first half is excellent, with the tension never letting up, but as the end draws near I found some of the situations too unbelievable. Then I realized......this is an action adventure book so just suspend your belief and go for the gusto.

Ice Station is a military thriller in every sense of the word. It is over-the-top, packed full of action and is just a lot of fun to read. If you want realism, look somewhere else. The characters are quickly introduced and brief backgrounds are given. Once the stage has been set, it is off to the races and what a race it is. The author is not big on character development, although there is some background and growth in the Ice Station, its only in retrospect. The main focus of Reilly's novels is action. When I'm next in the mood for something that screams action/adventure I'm definitely going to pick up the next book in Reilly's Scarecrow series.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Wow! What a great read! Why didn't I read it before, did I let it gather dust on my shelves?

It must have been the looks and the over the top recommendations. Mostly too much praise makes me wairy. But... This book deserves all the stars there are to give.
Don't get me wrong: this is not literature. But, in its genre it is one of the very best I've ever read.

From the very first page it took me by the hand, swiftly put me in one of the wagons, just in time to sit down before the roller coaster took of.

Relentless action, never a dull moment, very graphic at times, just my kind of book.

Will look for other books by Reilly now :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jan 15, 2016 |
For Natalie
'Imagine, if you can, a continent that for one quarter of the year, doubles in size.

Wilkes Ice Station, a remote institution near the Antarctic coastline, is about to become the setting for a brutal conflict. When several of the station’s divers transmit reports of what appears to be an alien spacecraft buried in a subterranean cavern, only to be slaughtered minutes later, the USA sends in a team of twelve hardened Reconnaissance Marines. Their assignment: to protect the ship from enemy forces at all costs. As the greedy superpowers of the world grapple for control of the spacecraft, Lieutenant Shane Schofield, the team’s leader, must fight desperately for his life. What he doesn’t know is that his team was marked for death from the moment they accepted the assignment.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312971230, Mass Market Paperback)

Anarctica is the last unconquered continent, a murderous expanse of howling winds, blinding whiteouts and deadly crevasses. On one edge of Antarctica is Wilkes Station. Beneath Wilkes Station is the gate to hell itself...

A team of U.S. divers, exploring three thousand feet beneath the ice shelf has vanished. Sending out an SOS, Wilkes draws a rapid deployment team of Marines-and someone else...

First comes a horrific firefight. Then comes a plunge into a drowning pool filled with killer whales. Next comes the hard part, as a handful of survivors begin an electrifying, red-hot, non-stop battle of survival across the continent and against wave after wave of elite military assassins-who've all come for one thing: a secret buried deep beneath the ice...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

On Antarctica, special forces from several countries battle each other for control of what is believed to be an alien space ship buried in the ice. Non-stop action and treachery galore.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,211,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible