Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

Ice Station (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Matthew Reilly

Member:werlaxn
Title:Ice Station
Authors:Matthew Reilly
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages

Ice Station by Matthew Reilly (1998)

This is the first book in the Shane Schofield series. I picked this up because it was on some list about “books to read before you die”. I found the beginning of this book really intriguing. I don’t know much about Antarctic research facilities and this was really cool to read about. However, I quickly lost interest in the book when the plot veered to spend more time with conspiracies, politics, and then suddenly turned into a long gun fight. I ended up stopping this book around page 100 and decided it just wasn’t for me.

Yes, it was action packed but there was lots of “gunspeak” and military terms and I just didn’t care to read about all the politics and gun fighting. I am sure it’s fine for what it is; an action packed thriller that you shouldn’t think too much about.

Overall this wasn’t for me. I think it’s a great brainless action-packed thriller if that’s what you are going for. However, I just couldn’t handle 500+ pages of that. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 7, 2018 |
The first thing you need to know about a Matthew Reilly novel is that there's a lot of BS going on. Our protagonist in "Ice Station," Captain Shane Michael Schofield, callsign Scarecrow, withstands more than anyone possibly could. And some of the action is ridiculously over-the-top and wholly unbelievable.

So why 5 stars?

Cause Matthew Reilly books are so damn fun to read! Think of the classic Stallone/Schwarzenegger/Willis action movies and put them in novel form. If you can put believably aside and just go along for the ride, you'll be breathless at the end of nearly ever section.

In the book, scientists studying at Wilkes Ice Station in Antarctica discover what they believe to be a spaceship hidden deep in a cavern accessible far below the surface and the station. Unfortunately, the divers are attacked and presumed lost.
However, the radio announcement they made back to the station was intercepted and when the top-side scientists call for help, friend and foe alike show up. Thus starts a thousand-mile-a-minute race between good guys and baddies, complete with cool weapons, near-misses, and very gruesome deaths.

If you go into the book with the right mind-set, you'll be addicted. If you keep in mind that this is not literature, you'll have a ball. ( )
  Jarratt | May 12, 2017 |
Just like all of Reilly's other novels, don't think to hard - just enjoy. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
My 2nd Reilly book and it was awesome! I had purchased this book months ago and just hadnt gotten around to reading it but I read "Contest" and absolutely loved it so I plucked it off my shelf. Now im wishing i would have read it alot sooner! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Anarctica is the last unconquered continent, a murderous expanse of howling winds, blinding whiteouts and deadly crevasses. On one edge of Antarctica is Wilkes Station. Beneath Wilkes Station is the gate to hell itself. A team of U.S. divers, exploring three thousand feet beneath the ice shelf has vanished. Sending out an SOS, Wilkes draws a rapid deployment team of Marines-and someone else...

My Thoughts:

I am amazed at how much action this author can write about in one book! It makes you feel that you have run a marathon after reading it. Matthew Reilly is the kind of author you wish wrote the screenplays for action movies. Ice Station was a tremendous amount of fun to read. It has a conceivable plot twist, cliff-hanger surprises, stomach-churning thrills and spills... death-defying stunts and "risk everything" maneuvers. Our hero and his allies...which is yet another twist... definitely get put through the wringer. This is the stuff comic books and movie serials used to be made of! This is Saturday Afternoon at the Movies.... but in a book. I don't know if the "mag-hook" is real or a "Sc-Fi" invention, but I think I'll ask for one for Christmas...never mind...I'd just shoot my eye out:) ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For Natalie
'Imagine, if you can, a continent that for one quarter of the year, doubles in size.

Wilkes Ice Station, a remote institution near the Antarctic coastline, is about to become the setting for a brutal conflict. When several of the station’s divers transmit reports of what appears to be an alien spacecraft buried in a subterranean cavern, only to be slaughtered minutes later, the USA sends in a team of twelve hardened Reconnaissance Marines. Their assignment: to protect the ship from enemy forces at all costs. As the greedy superpowers of the world grapple for control of the spacecraft, Lieutenant Shane Schofield, the team’s leader, must fight desperately for his life. What he doesn’t know is that his team was marked for death from the moment they accepted the assignment.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312971230, Mass Market Paperback)

First comes a horrific firefight. Then comes a plunge into a drowning pool filled with killer whales. Next comes the hard part, as a handful of survivors begin an electrifying, red-hot, non-stop battle of survival across the continent and against wave after wave of elite military assassins-who've all come for one thing: a secret buried deep beneath the ice...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

On Antarctica, special forces from several countries battle each other for control of what is believed to be an alien space ship buried in the ice. Non-stop action and treachery galore.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,568,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible