Remember Me by Trezza Azzopardi

Remember Me (2004)

by Trezza Azzopardi

This is a haunting story of a woman's life. We first meet Winnie when she is in her 70s, homeless and the victim of a robbery. As she tells her life story, we learn she suffers from mild retardation and a tendency to see spirits -- making her an unreliable, but unforgettable, narrator of her life's story.

I loved this book, and its examination of vulnerable people in our society. ( )
  LynnB | Aug 8, 2013 |
After reading The Hiding Place I thought this book would be great, however, I can't seem to get into it. I might try again later but for now it isn't grabbing me like I thought it would. ( )
  jjnaaucoin | Aug 7, 2012 |
I liked "The Hiding Place" a lot, but nothing prepared me for this quietly devasting book, possibly one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Winnie's world was always small, but as each of the few people she relies on slip through her fingers, and as each tiny act of thoughtless cruelty shakes her fragile mental health, she grows more and more alone, until the world abandons her altogether and she has to make a reality from the ghosts in her head.

I found this book heartbreaking and it took me weeks to stop thinking about it. ( )
  Opinionated | Jan 28, 2012 |
We meet the narrator, who has had many names throughout her life, as an elderly homeless woman who has determined to live only in the present, but is forced by a disturbing assault to remember her own complicated past. Her story unfolds in chapters alternately numbered (one, two, three) and titled ("sticks", "protection", "all-day breakfast"). The numbered chapters take us back in time through the narrator's childhood and gradually on to the present; the titled chapters tell her "now" story. The writing is glorious; the narrator sympathetic though surely unreliable; the suspense just intense enough as we experience each new revelation about who Lillian/ Patsy/Beauty/Winnie is and has been. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Feb 19, 2011 |
As I finished Remember Me by Trezza Azzopardi, I was left with a feeling of mystery about the story’s narrator. After more than 260 pages, what did I learn about her? Even her name was a moving target – was it Patsy or Lillian or Winnie? Told by such an unreliable narrator, Remember Me is one of those books that falls together hours after completion. Azzopardi drops clues about Winnie like breadcrumbs, helping the reader find her way through Winnie’s story after much reflection.

Remember Me shifts from Winnie’s past to her present life as an older woman living on the streets. She carries her green case, full of mementoes. When someone steals Winnie’s case, she takes an emotional journey through her past. We learn that Winnie was the daughter of a doting father and a mentally unstable mother. After her mother’s death, she moves in with her grandfather, and then later her great aunt. She eventually ends up at the home of a brother and sister who convince Winnie that she’s a clairvoyant. It’s this part of Winnie’s journey that offers a moment of stability for her before more heartbreak sets in. As you watch Winnie move from place to place, it’s sad to see her never have a place to call home. Everything was temporary in Winnie’s world.

Remember Me is a story that should be read by those who like a story’s complexities and learning about the characters slowly. Azzopardi packs an emotional punch, once you sit back and reflect on all of the pieces she presents about her characters. Once you do, you are left with a novel about how loneliness and detachment can plague a human’s soul. ( )
2 vote mrstreme | May 9, 2010 |
In memory of Francis Xavier Azzopardi and Mark Derbyshire
I'm not infirm, you know: I am my grandfather's age.

The much-anticipated second novel by the Man Booker Prize finalist and national best-selling author of The Hiding Place is a harrowing, elegant, and vivid portrait of a lost life at last reclaimed. Winnie would say she's no trouble, content to let the days go by, bothering no one. Living on the edge of nowhere, she'd rather not recall the past and, at seventy-two, doesn't see much point in thinking too much about the future. But when her closed existence is shattered by a random act of violence, Winnie is catapulted out of her exile. Robbed of everything she owns, she embarks on a journey to track down her stolen belongings-but soon finds her search has become the rediscovery of a stolen life. As Winnie pieces together the fragments of her life, her once-secluded world begins to fill with people: her devoted father; the haunting figure of her mother; her domineering grandfather; and Joseph, her only love. At last Winnie understands that she has not escaped from her life at all; she has simply been circling it. Now she must come to terms with the final revelation, one so profoundly shocking that she had concealed it even from herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

Provides information on the temperate forest biome and the plants and animals that live there.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,313,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible