H.R.H. by Danielle Steel

H.R.H. (2006)

by Danielle Steel

HRH by Danielle Steel
She is raised by her father, the king of their little country closeby to Russia and he's doing a fine job til her teen years and her mother has died.
Her 10 year older brother is a playboy and goes from country to country accumulating women and cars and having fun. She is in prison at the palace but she does visit her wild cousin in England from time to time but her interests are so different than Christians.
She is drilled from birth about duty to the country and people of the country. Her father knows the son will never lead the country and hopes she will some day. She does talk him into letting her help out with children Red Cross events that occur and is brought home a woman from what she experienced.
Rather than going to charity evens, opening hospital wings, etc she'd rather be doing something that will make a difference in her life and she finds it. Helping doctors without borders in SA and she has to take her body guards along and check in from time to time but things change her even further there...
Love all the detailed descriptions of the places she visited. ( )
  jbarr5 | Apr 30, 2013 |
Horrible, horrible, horrible. This is one of my guilty reads, so I shouldn't have expected much I guess. But wowww, bad book. Let me say that I like story lines that aren't particularly genius. I like standard formula books usually to some degree. This was just bad though.
Horrible deus ex machina to resolve the conflict. Very repetitive. And the phrase "SHOW don't tell" came to mind when reading this book. I can't tell you how many times it said something along the lines of "She was such a good girl, and she always did her duties." Ugh! Many times in my head, I was like "we KNOW that already!! Get on with it!"

The only bright spot was that I did like and identify with the main character to some extent, but other than that, not much redeeming value here.

I read one Danielle Steele book about 8 years ago, and I don't remember it being this bad. I wonder if I just had not developed any critical reading skills by then :) But this one makes me question if I will ever pick up another by her. Her style of books doesn't exactly appeal to me in general, but I like to read things by really popular authors just to see what all the fuss is about. I did this with Harry Potter, and I ended up LOVING it, especially after I got through the first few books. So sometimes it's worth it. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
Danielle Steele is usually not my cup of tea, although clearly she has her legions of fans. This book was one I listened to on a road trip when I wanted something light and engaging. It is both. My fantasy is to live in another country working at a rural clinic. This book takes me there, and although I am not a princess, I could relate to her experience in Africa and found it interesting to hear about the protagonist's experience there. For what D.S. books normally offer, I thought this one was particularly interesting. ( )
  AmeKole | Feb 12, 2013 |
Audiobook - ok - your typical Steel book - very repetitive, story is very light. ( )
  Fernandame | Sep 3, 2010 |
reasonable trashy novel for vacation or other mindless reading. gets a bit heavy handed and repetitive at times on just how much cricky hates being a princess and how meaningless she finds that life and how amazing africa is and how EVERYONE falls in love with africa. i wanted to see africa before i read the book; i almost don't want to now. of course it has a predictable happy ending. if you don't expect much, it's ok. ( )
  veroamore | Mar 20, 2008 |

Danielle Steelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tidholm, BarbroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In a novel where ancient traditions conflict with reality and the pressures of modern life, a young European princess proves that simplicity, courage, and dignity win the day and forever alter her world.

In blue jeans and a pullover, Princess Christianna is a young woman of her times: born in Europe, educated in America, worried about the future of the world she lives in, responsible beyond her years. Christianna is the only daughter of the Reigning Prince of a European nation that takes its royalty seriously–and her father has ironclad plans for Christianna’s life, a burden that is almost unbearable.

Now, after four years at Berkeley, life in her father’s palace cannot distract Christianna from what she sees outside the kingdom–the suffering of children, the ravages of terrorism and disease. Determined to make a difference in the world, she persuades His Royal Highness, her father, to let her volunteer for the Red Cross in East Africa. And for Christianna, a journey of discovery, change, and awakening begins.

Under a searing East African sun, Christianna plunges into the dusty, bustling life of an international relief camp, finding a passion and a calling among the brave doctors and volunteers. Finally free from the scrutiny of her royal life, Christianna struggles to keep her identity a secret from her new friends and coworkers–even from Parker Williams, the young doctor from Doctors Without Borders who works alongside Christianna and shares her dedication to healing. But as violence approaches and invades the camp, and the pressures of her royal life beckon her home, Christianna’s struggle for freedom takes an extraordinary turn. By a simple twist of fate, in one shocking moment, Christianna’s life is changed forever–in ways she never could have foreseen.

From the splendor of a prince’s palace to the chaos of war-torn nations, Danielle Steel takes us into fascinating new worlds. Filled with unforgettable images and a remarkable cast of characters, H.R.H. is a novel of the conflict between old and new worlds, responsibility versus freedom, and duty versus love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:54 -0400)

After four years of college in America, Princess Christianna is determined not to return to the stiff, formal lifestyle of her father's court and, hoping to make a difference in the world, persuades her father to allow her to volunteer for the Red Cross in East Africa.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible