dismiss

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Other authors: T. Llew Jones (Translator)

24,71934687 (3.82)1 / 1131
While going through the possessions of a deceased guest who owed them money, the mistress of the inn and her son find a treasure map that leads them to a pirate's fortune.
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (atimco, FernandoH)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)

English (315)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (346)
It's a neat little yarn. It reads almost exactly like it was written to be adapted into a screenplay. It goes from one thing to the next with no breaks and no variation. Not much really stood out. ( )
  yazzy12 | May 17, 2020 |
Fair condition
  JamesLemons | May 3, 2020 |
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Treasure Island is an iconic adventure pirate story, it is the book that almost everyone has had in our childhood and is chock full of all the images of pirates we know today whether it be in literature or cinematography: dreadful Captain Flint, cunning John Silver with his peg leg, talking parrot, rum and the song about the dead man’s chest. All these characters can be seen in today in modern works like “The Pirates of the Caribbean” series. So why has it endured all these years?

The simple answer is that it has everything that we look for today in an adventure story: hidden treasure hunted for my goodies and baddies alike, a mutiny on the ship, a marooned ex-pirate and a skeleton used as a road sign and of course a talking parrot. However, perhaps the most important feature is the characterisation of the pirate leader John Silver. On one hand he is likeable, charming and brave yet despite his missing leg he is also calculating, tough and strong and there is also a real element of menace about him that sends shivers down our spines meaning that we feel exactly like Jim felt while he was hiding in the barrel and listening to the pirate talks.

The way that the pirates talk is also vital to the story. While the “good” characters speak proper English the pirates use jargon so distinguishing them as the “bad guys”. Such details help modern readers who know nothing about real life pirates can still vividly imagine them pirates as being outside of the norms of civilised society. Equally the narrative is written from the viewpoint of a teenage Jim Hawkins and we see the storyline through his eyes. He is curious, brave and noble, just as we would like to remember ourselves being at that age. Similarly there are no examples of racism or misogyny that might upset modern sensibilities.

Overall “Treasure Island” can be rightly regarded as the forerunner of the pirate adventure story and despite being first published in 1883 is still an interesting and entertaining read today whether you are a child or an adult.

"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest-
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" ( )
  PilgrimJess | Apr 30, 2020 |
So there I was, drifting in Pandemic Land, wondering what to read next, when the soft dulcet voice of Lou Reed drifted into my sullen consciousness:
"I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
On a great big clipper ship
Going from this land here to that
On a sailor's suit and cap..."
And, then, right after that, this early Dylan lyric came crashing through the Pandemic Mayhem: "Haul on the bowline, we sang that melody...like all tough sailors do, when they're far away at sea!" In a moment, the die was cast. I knew that the next book I would read, or reread rather, would be Treasure Island, one that I read some, what, forty years ago, as a mere child? It was a great idea! What a treat! What pleasure! And the fact that the back cover said, "For children, aged 10-14," discouraged me not a whit! To make matters even better, it so happened that my edition was a facsimile of a 1911 one, illustrated by one NC Wyeth, the father of the very Andrew (Mansplain Alert!), who painted Christina's World (and not to forget the voluptuous Helga). But I digress. This adventure story was an unalloyed delight, a story of intrigue, treachery, courage, and a cast of characters right out of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland! I can say no more save this: English literature is awash (as we pirates say) with secondary characters of the highest order: Holmes' Dr Watson, Dickens Madame Defarge, King Arthur's Merlin, Alice's Cheshire Cat, and so on...so allow me to introduce another one, the charismatic Long John Silver, the humble, affable ship's cook in this gripping yarn...or was he only a cook? Read it to find out! ( )
1 vote larryking1 | Apr 25, 2020 |
I listened to audible's version of this book and it was fantastic. It was dramatized. John Silver's bird, Captain Flint stole the show. I booked marked things that bird interjected and listened to them over and over. Even if you've read this before, I highly recommend hearing the audible version. ( )
  RaggedyMandy | Apr 22, 2020 |

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, T. LlewTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Treasure Island [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island [adapted - Stepping Stones] by Lisa Norby

Treasure Island [adapted - Treasury of Illustrated Classics] by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island [adapted - Oxford Bookworms] by John Escott

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
DEAD MAN'S GHOST

A thin, high, trembling voice sang:

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest-
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!"

I have never seen men more dreadfully affected than
the pirates. The color went from their faces like enchant-
ment; some leaped to their feet, some clawed hold cf
others.
"It's Flint!" cried Merry.
rum!
last words!"
"Darby M'Graw," the voice wailed. "Fetch aft the
rum!"

"They was his last words!" moaned Morgan. "Flint's
Still, Silver was unconquered. "I'm here to get that
stuff," he cried, "and I'll not be beat by man or devil."
"Belay there, John!" said Merry. "Don't you cross a
sperrit."
"There's seven hundred thousand pounds not a quarter
of a mile from here," Silver said. Sperrit? I never was
feared of Flint in his life, and by the powers, I'll face
him dead!"
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.

When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,279,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible