Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

20,75430270 (3.82)1 / 1079
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (atimco, FernandoH)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)

English (276)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (302)
It is set in the days of sailing ships and pirates and tells of the adventures of Jim Hawkins and his search for the buried treasure of an evil pirate, Captain Flint. The story begins at 'The Admiral Benbow', the inn that belongs to Jim Hawkin's parents Bill tells Jim about a cheats filled with money. This book continues and is mostly about a the journey of their trip. ( )
  mparks15 | Dec 7, 2017 |
One of those books I can't believe I've never read - but this is my first encounter with Treasure Island. Narrated by Jim Hawkins, it follows the adventures of a young boy as he encounters a former Pirate, then gets involved in a chase for hidden treasure and battle with mutinous pirates. It's exciting, but has some serious consideration as well. Well worth reading. ( )
  Helenliz | Nov 23, 2017 |
This is one of the classics I’ve wanted to read for a long time, but have put it off because I wanted to like it and wasn’t sure I would. Turns out, I liked it!

As I mentioned on a Goodreads update, I pictured the entire cast based on that of Muppet Treasure Island because how could I not!? Sadly, there aren’t any original roles for Gonzo and Rizzo, so they were left out of my imaginings. The first half of the movie was surprisingly faithful to the book, song and dance numbers aside. Anyway!

Jim is a smart lad, quick on his feet and fairly brave, which proves useful to his allies several times throughout the story. BookJim has less personality than MuppetMovieJim (ok, I know I need to stop comparing them) yet I found him more likable. Jim is young, around fourteen if I remember correctly (which I probably don’t), and therefore very excited about the chance of an adventure at sea. But he does show an impressive amount of caution once he realizes the danger he’s in. I enjoyed that he admitted his fear in several situations (he’s the narrator, by the way), yet soldiered on. There’s not a lot of a character arc for him (or anyone, really), but he kept my interest.

The story was a faster read than I expected – some classics feel heavy due to the antiquated language and can get incredibly wordy. I flew through this book in a matter of days. The plot keeps a nice pace and the action is spread out amongst Jim’s musings and observations about life at sea and then the island itself. There were some scenes where I had no idea what the hell took place, however. I just know actions took place and as a result, the story moved forward (example: Jim somehow hijacked the ship all by himself) and rather than re-read to clarify, I just plowed forward. So that fault lies entirely with me, but I thought I’d mention it anyway.

All in all, I wasn’t blown away. The story lacks a lot of detail in regards to world and character building (though I was happy to be spared the constant facial and clothing descriptions that often come with more modern works), but the simplistic style did make it easily readable. I’m not sure what the book was missing (Muppets maybe?!), but I wanted just a touch of something more. It was enjoyable, but not a classic I’ll return to. Fairly suitable for younger readers though, as there’s not much in the way of violence and what there is could easily be skimmed over. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Nov 22, 2017 |
I usually dislike reading classics because the writing style is so different from what we read every day. But, RLS style was not offsetting, maybe because I expected the “pirate” style of talking and so wasn’t distracted by mentally trying to rewrite the text. And, with any adventure story you must be in the frame of mind for the adventure. I put down several times because I couldn’t settle into the story, but once my attention was attached I could not put it down. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Nov 15, 2017 |
A wonderful tale told with wonderful language and vocabulary. My son loved this book. After we finished reading it aloud he immediately started reading it again. He has since read it several times. If that isn't enough of a recommendation I don't know what is!
  wunderlong88 | Oct 11, 2017 |

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,833,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible