Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Other authors: Eoin Colfer (Introduction)

18,46426493 (3.82)1 / 845
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson (BasKoeln)
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (sturlington)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)

English (240)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (265)
Of all the classics I first read in my 30s, this is the one that made me think, “Why didn’t I read this 20 years ago?” I expected a silly story about pirates and treasure, but it’s much more than that. I was fascinated by the relationship between Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver, one of the most appealing villains you’ll ever meet.
  Bill.Dawson | Apr 19, 2016 |
one of the first books I remember reading by myself, not having it read to me - my dad had no sons, only daughters, so I got to be the tomboy !! own the DVD of the 1950 film version starring Robert Newton
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
When a decrepit, eccentric sea captain and his sea chest arrive to stay at an inn run by Jim Hawkins' mother, the young lad finds himself thrust into an old conflict among sailors. The captain is visited numerous times by threatening characters from his seagoing days, eventually culminating in his death and in Jim's and his mother's escape from the inn to safety with the sea chest. In a nearby town Jim presents the squire with a treasure map from the chest, and the squire, with romantic ideas of gentlemanly adventure, immediately procures and ship and a seasoned crew. Before he knows it, Jim is assigned to be the cabin boy on what would ultimately be perhaps one of the most famous adventure voyages in literature.

I hadn't read Treasure Island in my youth, and ended up picking it up on a whim one day at the age of 40. I'm a huge fan of adventure tales, and Treasure Island didn't disappoint, although my 21st-century sensibilities were amazed at the amount of violence and murder accompanying a children's book. Youth, and society in general, were undoubtedly more inured to violence in a way that we are sheltered from for the most part today. The bloodshed didn't necessarily decrease my enjoyment of the book, and in fact probably increased it by way of its relative rebelliousness. Still, I couldn't picture my elementary-school-aged child reading it without offering additional guidance and discussion. ( )
  ryner | Mar 15, 2016 |
Treasure Island was so much more my thing than I thought that it would be. There was a lot of drama, action, and suspense.
It's an odd thing to read classics that were intended for a younger reading audience. I would let my children read them, but I can easily see where some parents would give pause. Some of the content in these books is controversial today...But hey! They are among the best ever written. ( )
1 vote StephLaymon | Mar 11, 2016 |
Loved this classic! Adventurous and kept me reading. I am keeping this one on my favorites shelf. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
Hva er det første du tenker på når du hører ordet «sjørøver»? Et kart av en øde øy med et kryss som viser hvor skatten er begravet? Blodtørstige menn som like gjerne står klare til å falle hverandre i ryggen som til å overfalle de lovlydige? En sjømann med trebein og en papegøye på skulderen? Mystiske menn med skjulte hensikter og en forlokkende, låst kiste? Hvis du gjør det, skyldes det temmelig sikkert boken du nå holder i hånden - enten du har lest den eller ikke.

Boken er den ultimate sjørøverhistorie og en av de aller fineste eventyrfortellinger som noen gang er skrevet. Det finnes ikke et eneste kjedelig øyeblikk: fortellingen river leseren med seg fra det ene dramatiske høydepunktet til det neste, og bygger opp et rikt og komplekst persongalleri og sterke menneskelige konflikter. Dette er en bok det er umulig å legge fra seg.

Her i en helt ny oversettelse: den ur-klassiske sjørøverfortellingen: en bok som mange har forsøkt å kopiere, men aldri klart å gjøre bedre!

Glitrende oversatt av Bjørg Hawthorn, som forøvrig står bak flere Joseph Conrad oversettelser.

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
AR 8.3, Pts 12.0

This title is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online.

GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online in various languages. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides a huge selection of FREE e-pub & PDF public domain titles in various languages also. (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books (though voluntary donations are welcome).

Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so. Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. And don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.

There are lots of free pre-1923 public domain kindle books on Amazon.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amazon and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]

ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible