Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson (BasKoeln)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)

English (212)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (235)
I'd read [b:Treasure Island|295|Treasure Island|Robert Louis Stevenson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388607993s/295.jpg|3077988] as a child, and I'd also read it several years ago to my sons for bedtime reading. I noticed it on the shelf a few weeks ago and decided to read it again to the boys. I vaguely remembered it being not the greatest read-aloud book, and on this read-through I confirmed that memory. There are parts that are wonderful--especially the slow set-up in the beginning, and the multiple double-crosses and twists near the end. But the middle sure drags (at least, when reading it aloud). Though it's not my favorite story by any means, it does give us the character of Long John Silver, who remains the prototypical pirate for so many pirate stories that have come since. It's great fun to watch him sweet talk his way out of one nasty situation after another. He is a great character, and his reputation has grown beyond the details sketched out for him in the original book. ( )
  ethnosax | Aug 8, 2014 |
This is an excellent book. Although originally intended for younger people, it was written in the 1800s and is thus pretty on-par with a high-school reading level today.
Now, just about everyone has had to read this book at some point in school - if you haven't reread it since, I highly recommend you do so. It's the definition of a swashbuckling tale, and it really shines with a second reading. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 7, 2014 |
This is an adult novel, but due to having a child as a POV character, it has become a children's book. But it does remain a great adventure story with wonderful characters and a well crafted plot. Oh, a group of ill-assorted people struggle over the disposition of a hoard of pirate treasure. ( )
1 vote DinadansFriend | Jul 30, 2014 |
Now, I realize this was written for young boys, but, as far as classics go, I was underwhelmed. I just wanted SO much more from it. Even the ending was a little disappointing. I just wanted... I don't know what I wanted, but this definitely didn't give it to me. Maybe I was looking for more pirate-y antics? Maybe it was just that there was a lot of waiting around by all parties? I don't know, but it didn't deliver like I wanted it to. I think the most exciting part was when he and his mother were avoiding the pirates in the very beginning.

I still recommend it, because it IS one of the classics, but only for that reason. Although, it could be a good bed time story kind of book. Read a couple chapters a night, or something like that. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

What else do I need for a book? Pirates, treasure, deception, lies, murder, fights, and good ol' Christian values.

Maybe that's the conditions Stevenson got from his publisher: Sure you can write about the terrible people pirates are, but make sure they learn their lesson in the face of the Christian God. Whether or not they did learn is up for debate.

The book was good, and definitely makes me want to see Pirates of the Caribbean again. And it was good to see where so many literary allusions come from. Worth the $1 at Half Price Books. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Les mer om boken her - eller lån den på:

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work for the book Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?

Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?

AR 8.3, Pts 12.0
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:20 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible