Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

19,61528682 (3.82)1 / 1003
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
1890s (37)

English (261)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (286)
The first time I read this book was in fourth grade and I loved it even then. Its definitely one of my favorite classic books and my all time favorite pirate story. Jim Hawkins, the protagonist and main narrator is a thirteen year old boy who many young boys can easily relate to. The characters are vibrant and unique, including Long John Silver, one of the most incredible villains ever created. The story also flows nicely with a only a brief interruption of Jim's narrative in which another character narrates for a couple chapters. However the transition is smooth and doesn't cause confusion. All this together makes this one of my favorites books and I would definitely recommend it to readers of all ages.

And I can't say enough about the Word Cloud Classic edition of the book. Imprinted to the front and back of the book are characters' names and quotes from the book and it just looks awesome. Also the movie Treasure Planet based on this book is a really interesting Science Fiction adaption of the story. ( )
  RickyHaas | Mar 22, 2017 |
I would have high schoolers read this story and compare and contrast young adult literature in the 1800's to now.
  ansleyg | Mar 19, 2017 |
The main character in this novel is the narrator, Jim Hawkins. He joins a crew that is traveling to an island to uncover hidden treasure. He realizes that they are pirates who will want to take the treasure for themselves and leave everyone else stranded on the island. We see Jim Hawkins become to be an individual and main character rather than just a narrator telling us what happens in the story. He thinks for himself and makes decisions based on his own thoughts. ( )
  KaitlynMahani | Mar 16, 2017 |
This novel was a pleasant surprise; I'd seen numerous movies based on it, but finally getting to the real thing was very satisfying. The detail is incredible and obviously the books gave so much more detail than the films I'd seen. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
I listened to the audio and read the book. It never got any better. My eyes went over the words but I do not know what really happens in the book. I used wikipedia to try and separate the characters but there were just too many. The only thing I really remember is about the apple barrell.
But I gave it all I had. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Finished reading this book aloud to the kids TODAY! Hooray- it took all of 6 months.. with *many* breaks in between.. But it was a great read aloud. We had to look up many of the nautical terms and lingo, but it was a good story over all. I think I said in my original post that I wouldn't have picked this book up on my own. It's an adventure story about seafaring pirates.. And that is not something that grabs me, but nevertheless I did enjoy reading it to the kids. And now we can say we've read Treasure Island!

Hva er det første du tenker på når du hører ordet «sjørøver»? Et kart av en øde øy med et kryss som viser hvor skatten er begravet? Blodtørstige menn som like gjerne står klare til å falle hverandre i ryggen som til å overfalle de lovlydige? En sjømann med trebein og en papegøye på skulderen? Mystiske menn med skjulte hensikter og en forlokkende, låst kiste? Hvis du gjør det, skyldes det temmelig sikkert boken du nå holder i hånden - enten du har lest den eller ikke.

Boken er den ultimate sjørøverhistorie og en av de aller fineste eventyrfortellinger som noen gang er skrevet. Det finnes ikke et eneste kjedelig øyeblikk: fortellingen river leseren med seg fra det ene dramatiske høydepunktet til det neste, og bygger opp et rikt og komplekst persongalleri og sterke menneskelige konflikter. Dette er en bok det er umulig å legge fra seg.

Her i en helt ny oversettelse: den ur-klassiske sjørøverfortellingen: en bok som mange har forsøkt å kopiere, men aldri klart å gjøre bedre!

Glitrende oversatt av Bjørg Hawthorn, som forøvrig står bak flere Joseph Conrad oversettelser.

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,240,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible