Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

18,02925795 (3.82)1 / 800
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson (BasKoeln)
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (sturlington)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)

English (232)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (256)
I recently read the fictionalized account of R.L. Stevenson's life {Under the Wide and Starry Sky: A Novel (Nancy Horan)}.
Doing the book in audio, I found I really enjoyed this rendition of his life.

The only Stevenson I had read was The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so it was time for another classic.
I chose Treasure Island.

I must admit I usually don't gravitate toward an adventure story of "buccaneers and buried gold."
However, the characters were so vivid (especially my perception of a pirate) and the style of writing was intriguing.
I'm happy with my choice.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 31, 2016 |
This story is classic literature at its best. Everyone knows things from this story, but maybe not how they fit into the grander scheme. This is one of those stories that everyone should read at least once. Also, it's a great book to share with your children to spark the interest in reading. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
15 men on a dead man's chest...Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum

Jim Hawkins is the young son of a poor innkeeper when he meets his first pirate, Billy Bones, who has holed up at the Admiral Benbow, trying to avoid his death at the hands of his fellow gentlemen o' fortune. His fate has already been sealed though and the pirates set upon the inn with violence, seeking the map that leads to Cap'n Flint's treasure. However, in an attempt to make good Billy's debt, Jim has already stolen away with it, not knowing what it is. When he finally learns what he has, he along with Squire Trelawney, Doctor Livesey, Long John Silver, and a mutinous crew depart from the port of Bristol in search of treasure.

This is the classic pirate story from which all others follow. Without Treasure Island where would Pirates of the Caribbean be? I adored this story from start to finish. It was easy read, written as it was for a younger audience, but it was just so much fun that it didn't matter. Having previously seen movie adaptations of the story, I already knew what to expect, or thought I did. I certainly didn't expect to enjoy the adventure as much as I did. I read it in two sittings and went to bed dreaming of pirates and treasure. I can see exactly why it is such a favorite of young boys and why the pirate, cruel though most of these were, remains such a romantic figure in the collective psyche. ( )
1 vote Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Billy Bones, former pirate and a drunk, has taken residence at the inn of Jim Hawkins' father. He's hiding out from his former comrades who want the treasure map he's hiding. When he dies suddenly, Jim Hawkins finds the map which starts him on a sea voyage to recover the treasure. Of course the pirates are on it from the start and it takes quite some adventures and luck to succeed.
This must be the source of all these treasure hunts and pirate adventures. It was a fast and enjoyable romp, with likable characters and villains that get their just deserts. I liked it more than expected - even though I kind of knew the story, the details of the tale were fresh and entertaining.
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
Depressing, and occasionally surprising violent.

It starts off in the same pattern of any children's adventure or fantasy novel. An ordinary boy, living a rather humdrum life, finds himself in the centre of some extraordinary events that lead to him being swept away on a great adventure.

However, the adventure itself isn't the colourful, intoxicating affair we might expect. Treasure Island itself, far from being the beautiful Caribbean island we expect, turns out to be a hostile, oppressive place - the very air of which is suffocating for both fictional character and reader alike.

There is no romanticising the pirate's profession here. The pirates are simply shown as regular crooks who want to get rich quick! Stevenson does create a couple of genuinely scary villains, however, in John Silver and Captain Flint. We never actually meet Flint, but the memory of his terrible deeds echoes throughout the book.

It is a boys book, there's no doubt about that. I am not in this book's target demographic or gender! (There are quite literally NO females in this book, with the exception of Jim Hawkins' mother!) I found it a slow, dull read at times, but I struggled through (after a long hiatus in the middle during which I indulged in a couple of Georgette Heyers) and I am glad I did. It is a good book, albeit not my thing at all. I did, however, find it interesting as a:

*Character study, particularly of Long John Silver, whose - ahem - forceful personality dominates the book. I also found the extraordinary relationship between Jim and John fascinating.

*Coming of age story. Jim undergoes some extreme tests of character, and shows amazing maturity for his age (how old is he supposed to be? 12?). Nonetheless, he did and saw things that no child his age should have to be exposed to. Will there be repercussions later on in life? He survived through some terrible trials, and emerged with his moral integrity intact, but will he also bear scars from his experiences on Treasure Island? It's a short little book, and much is left unsaid. The fate of all the major characters upon their return to England is revealed at the end of the book. All the major characters, except Jim himself! ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
Hva er det første du tenker på når du hører ordet «sjørøver»? Et kart av en øde øy med et kryss som viser hvor skatten er begravet? Blodtørstige menn som like gjerne står klare til å falle hverandre i ryggen som til å overfalle de lovlydige? En sjømann med trebein og en papegøye på skulderen? Mystiske menn med skjulte hensikter og en forlokkende, låst kiste? Hvis du gjør det, skyldes det temmelig sikkert boken du nå holder i hånden - enten du har lest den eller ikke.

Boken er den ultimate sjørøverhistorie og en av de aller fineste eventyrfortellinger som noen gang er skrevet. Det finnes ikke et eneste kjedelig øyeblikk: fortellingen river leseren med seg fra det ene dramatiske høydepunktet til det neste, og bygger opp et rikt og komplekst persongalleri og sterke menneskelige konflikter. Dette er en bok det er umulig å legge fra seg.

Her i en helt ny oversettelse: den ur-klassiske sjørøverfortellingen: en bok som mange har forsøkt å kopiere, men aldri klart å gjøre bedre!

Glitrende oversatt av Bjørg Hawthorn, som forøvrig står bak flere Joseph Conrad oversettelser.

added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?

Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?

AR 8.3, Pts 12.0
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,184,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible