Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson (BasKoeln)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)

English (215)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (239)
Read it before and I'm sure I will read it again. Timeless classic with a great story, hope to read it to my son someday to show him there were pirates before Johnny Depp. ( )
  tkcrabtree | Dec 2, 2014 |
the reader was good, i was into it right away, then i seemed to loose focus. ( )
  mahallett | Nov 23, 2014 |
It is a very long time since I read this book, and like most people, I suppose, I remember Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver with his wooden leg and parrot on his shoulder. I could remember a few minor characters as well, I knew they went to Treasure Island in the Hispaniola and that Long John Silver was treacherous, and there was someone called Captain Flint and another called Ben Gunn, but how it all fitted together was buried deep in my memory. So deep, that the book came as a delightful surprise.

It starts at the Admiral Benbow, an inn run by Jim Hawkins’ parents. It could be in Cornwall, or Dorset or even modelled on Staithes in North Yorkshire, but I really ‘got’ this desolate cove from the electrifying descriptions. I was terrified of the Captain, and feared for Jim and his mother until the revenue men finally came to rescue them. And that is only the start of the story. From fitting out the Hispaniola to the search for the treasure, the plot is deftly woven, the descriptions bring the scene to bustling, and occasionally wild and dangerous, life. The sea voyage is not too long for the reader, and the events of the island are just one adventure after another – I had no recollection of the entirety of the plot, and there are as many twists in it, as many turns of John Silver’s black-hearted coat, as the most obscure modern television thriller.

Even though I’m a fan of seafaring stories, and well-read in the Patrick O’Brien saga, I found some of the seafaring terms and pirate-talk hard to follow, even reading them in an accent modelled on Captain Barbosa (of Pirates of the Caribbean fame). I wonder, in fact, whether I didn’t skip some of these passages those many years ago. Now it kept me riveted to the page and I couldn’t wait to get back to it when duty finished calling!

I am puzzled, though, about the classification of children’s books. This seemed to me to be hard reading and somewhat violent, yet I’m sure it’s an older children’s book, middle grade and upwards I assume. In parallel I am reading The Adventures of Professor Branestawm which is marked as for 9 years, yet I find it trivial and suitable for maybe 5 and upwards (although reading age is higher). Some of those I’m promoting at present for Middle Grade children are set at an easier level than this, and I would say mine are more in the same reading area. I wish I could turn the plot into such knots though! Maybe I should just carry on writing in the style I enjoy, and hope others who enjoy the same – including classics like Treasure Island – find and read them.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson – even better than I remembered it.
2 vote Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
There are many reasons why I liked this book “Treasure Island”. One of the reasons is this book was written about an adventure of pirates sailing the sea to find a lost treasure. The main character, Jim, narrates the story. “Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!” This is an example of the songs pirates would sing when on the boat. The story engages the reader to feel they are part of the pirates’ journey looking for the treasure. “In the immediate nearness of the gold, all else had been forgotten [...], and I could not doubt that he hoped to seize upon the treasure, find and board the Hispanola under cover of night, cut every honest throat about that island, and sail away as he had at first intended, laden with crimes and riches.” Jim describes his difficult times on the boat by describing the conditions and what other men are doing when living there. Even though I like this book, I feel sometimes it is hard to follow the dialogue written is the pirate slang. Some examples would be “easy with that gun, sir or you’ll swamp the boat. All hands stand by to trim her when he aims” and “If I die like a dog, I’ll die in my dooty”. The end is very upbeat because Jim and his crew on the boat find the treasure. The first time I read this book I was in the seventh grade. I remember loving this book and wanting to read it over to recapture the journey. Treasure Island is a classic adventure tale, and also the story of one boy’s coming of age. The big idea of this story is the search for heroic role models, the satisfaction of desires, and the lack of adventure in the modern age. ( )
  kflach1 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Les mer om boken her - eller lån den på:

Stevenson, Robert LouisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work for the book Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?

Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?

AR 8.3, Pts 12.0
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:20 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible