Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (original 1883; edition 1960)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

20,45129873 (3.82)1 / 1056
Member:Schmerguls
Title:Treasure Island
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson
Info:
Tags:british fiction, 19th century fiction

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (atimco)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
1890s (37)

English (272)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (298)
A wonderful tale told with wonderful language and vocabulary. My son loved this book. After we finished reading it aloud he immediately started reading it again. He has since read it several times. If that isn't enough of a recommendation I don't know what is!
  wunderlong88 | Oct 11, 2017 |
The most popular pirate story ever written in English, featuring one of literature’s most beloved “bad guys,” Treasure Island has been happily devoured by several generations of boys—and girls—and grownups. Its unforgettable characters include: young Jim Hawkins, who finds himself owner of a map to Treasure Island, where the fabled pirate booty is buried; honest Captain Smollett, heroic Dr. Livesey, and the good-hearted but obtuse Squire Trelawney, who help Jim on his quest for the treasure; the frightening Blind Pew, double-dealing Israel Hands, and seemingly mad Ben Gunn, buccaneers of varying shades of menace; and, of course, garrulous, affable, ambiguous Long John Silver, who is one moment a friendly, laughing, one-legged sea-cook . . .and the next a dangerous pirate leader! ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 25, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Aug 24, 2017 |
Summary: An old sailor named Billy Bones comes to the Admiral Benbow Inn, and dies after telling Jim Hawkins, the innkeeper's son, that his old crewmates are after the contents of his chest. When Jim opens the chest, he finds a map that supposedly has the location of an island where the notorious pirate Captain Flint buried much of his treasure. A local squire and doctor come up with the plan of buying a ship and going after the treasure, but the crew that they hire for the ship turns out to be former associates of Flint's, who are seeking the treasure for themselves.

Review: Treasure Island is on the list of classics that I'd never read - which is sort of surprising, because naval adventures and pirates are right up my alley. But then I started watching Black Sails, and talking to a friend who was also watching it, and she told me that it was a prequel to Treasure Island, so I figured I should probably go tick another classic novel off my "to read" list.

I'm sorry I waited so long. Admittedly, if you'd handed me this book as a kid I don't know that I'd have gotten into it; a lot of classics have fairly dense text that makes my eyes glaze over, and looking at the print version, this seems like one of them. But I listened to it in audio, and thought it was great. The narrator did an excellent job of parsing through the longer and more tangled sentences, and really brought the adventure to life. There were a few things that didn't entirely work for me, particularly the transition from one part to the next. I found the relatively large shifts in story (in location, in time, or in narrative voice, and sometimes in more than one of those) really distracting, and I didn't have a good enough handle on all of the character's names (particularly the more minor characters) to always be able to figure out who was where and who was doing what. But overall, it was a fun story, and it convinced me to seek out more of Stevenson's books -- in audio, though, of course. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Pirates! Secret maps! Talking parrots! Mutiny! Castaways! Skeletons! Buried Treasure! If you like any of those things, it's probably best to go back to the source, and the good news is this book is pretty easy going (especially in audio) and fun. (Although you do get some spoilers about who lives and who doesn't in Black Sails. Heh.) ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 20, 2017 |
I had thought that I remembered reading this book many years ago when I was a child; I think it may have been a children's edition. After reading it (again?) this week, I didn't recall any of it, so maybe I never finished all those years ago. I'm glad I finished this time, though. Recommended to fans of adventure. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
I would have high schoolers read this story and compare and contrast young adult literature in the 1800's to now.

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible